Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z490-I
CPU
i7-10700k
Graphics
UHD Graphics 630
Hey everyone!

I'm looking at building my first hack, used for music production - Mainly Ableton

Here is the parts list, let me know if you see any red flags!

Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING Mini-ITX
CPU: Intel Comet Lake Core i7-10700K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A Chromax Black
Graphics: UHD Graphics 630
RAM: Kingston FURY Renegade RGB 32GB 3600MHz CL16
SSD: Crucial P5 Plus 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen 4 M.2 2280 SSD
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX750 Platinum Power Supply 750W

I've read that I will also need the BCM94360CS and adapter to get WiFi/BT. Does it matter which M.2 slot that goes in and do I use the existing antennas on the MB?

Anything else I need to consider?

Appreciate your help!
Mike

You could optimize for quiet operation by going with a larger build and using different fans and PSU. If that’s a priority.
I’m definitely open to suggestions!

I’m definitely open to suggestions!
I am very happy with my Fractal Define R6, fans replaced with BeQuiet Silent Wings. I can also recommend the BeQuiet Straight Power Series PSUs if quiet operation is a priority. A larger case will facilitate better airflow and you can upgrade to the NH-D15. I am using a Dark Rock Pro 4 but the Noctua is excellent, too. That being said, it’s not like you cannot configure an i7/i9 ITX build to be quiet. Just not as quite in my experience.

As for the mainboard, I personally believe that the most active and best-supported Golden Builds here on the forum are a great introduction to hackintosh (unless you prefer tinkering, which can be rewarding). For example, you could go for a Gigabyte Z490 Vision G and use @CaseySJ’s Z490 guide. One additional benefit is that you can connect Titan Ridge later on to add TB3.

Last edited:
I am very happy with my Fractal Define R6, fans replaced with BeQuiet Silent Wings. I can also recommend the BeQuiet Straight Power Series PSUs if quiet operation is a priority. A larger case will facilitate better airflow and you can upgrade to the NH-D15. I am using a Dark Rock Pro 4 but the Noctua is excellent, too. That being said, it’s not like you cannot configure an i7/i9 ITX build to be quiet. Just not as quite in my experience.

As for the mainboard, I personally believe that the most active and best-supported Golden Builds here on the forum are a great introduction to hackintosh (unless you prefer tinkering, which can be rewarding). For example, you could go for a Gigabyte Z490 Vision G and use @CaseySJ’s Z490 guide. One additional benefit is that you can connect Titan Ridge later on to add TB3.
Thanks for your input, it's really helpful. Im happy to go with a larger case.

I can't find anywhere to get a Gigabyte Z490 Vision G here in NZ, but I can get a Gigabyte AORUS Z490 Ultra. I'm wondering if I would have the same success with that board

Thanks for your input, it's really helpful. Im happy to go with a larger case.

I can't find anywhere to get a Gigabyte Z490 Vision G here in NZ, but I can get a Gigabyte AORUS Z490 Ultra. I'm wondering if I would have the same success with that board

Hi there.

For music production your original ASUS ITX motherboard will be fine. I agree that perhaps a more spacious case will help cooling and quietness.

For my own Z490 ITX build I looked at the Fractal Design Node 304 and really liked it but felt it would be too cramped. For my current build I chose the NZXT H210. They are larger and with a more conventional PC layout (and there are many similar cases from other manufacturers). However they are still compact and allow for great air-flow and fan placement. You don't want any audio "noise" going on in the background if you can avoid it, so running your PC with high-quality, quiet fans - like Noctua - and clear airflow will help keep temperatures and sound to a minimum.

Also, you do not need to swap out the Intel wireless card. The Intel one will work fine with the OpenIntelWireless drivers. Another 'however' though ... Perhaps don't go for Monterey as your macOS just yet. The Bluetooth drivers have not been updated for it and will not work. WiFi is thine though using the AirPortItlwm.kext driver.

In my view you will only need a Broadcom wireless card for Airdrop, full Continuity and Handoff from iOS devices. And perhaps a few other macOS/iOS interoperabilities.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back