Contribute
Register

Building a H4ckint0sh after I sold my 2010 iMac - seeking help and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
solved

Last edited:
Guys, another quick question. How do I disable loading of the Nvidia Web Drivers and try the default macOS driver for the GTX 680? I want to compare performance.

Btw the Fusion Drive setup works for now, the only annoyance is that I always have to mirror the Clover EFI files/folders that I amended with both EFI partitions of the merged drives.

Screenshot 2016-11-14 17.34.39.png
Screenshot 2016-11-14 17.34.39.png
Screenshot 2016-11-14 17.37.22.png
Screenshot 2016-11-14 15.50.58.png
Hi again, I did not manage to disable NVidia Drivers on my own, but that is not a problem, will try later.

Now I have another problem. Audio. It worked for a while, then it stopped. I tried various methods described on the forum (by toleda, whose guides are great but I seem to lack the skills to follow them). Both Clover and Piker methods. I got the Clover method working (for a while), but it was disabling the audio device sometimes after a reboot. Now, I tried the Piker method, did not work. Then, I restored the original AppleHDA.kext (according to the guide, using Pacifist etc.), followed the guide on how to disable the kexts and configs in Clover and applied the Clover method again, but the devices are not detected (but they show up in the system report panel - see screenshots). I guess I made some errors somewhere but I am not able to detect them. Can you help? And btw., USB storage devices are not showing up, but I can see them in system report.

Thanks for your help @Pastry or @P1LGRIM

EDIT: I found out that I have 2 devices listed in DPCI Manager....the second one is the GTX680 HDMI controller.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-11-14 18.12.54.png
    Screenshot 2016-11-14 18.12.54.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
@OM this should not be posted in Buying Advice. Start a new thread in Post installation > audio to get help with this issue.
Thanks in advance.

Just want to post a post mortem for this build for anyone looking at this forum.

1. The GTX 680 works OOB no problem whatsoever. I switched to a 780ti and there is the issue with the web drivers not being always up to date so you have to always, ALWAYS wait for them to be updated after a system macOS update.

2. Wifi/BT work with the used m.2 card, however, not OOB. I had to edit some Clover entries, look a forums, pain. Now, everything works (except one major feature).

3. The system is stable, but I have problems with audio/sleep. The audio problem can be easily circumvented by using a USB sound card. I use the Creative SOUND BLASTER Play! 2 and I've had no problems whatsoever. Don't bother with the built-in audio, it's a pain. But sleep, meh. Can't get it to work, I am always shutting down the computer :/

PROBLEMS:

Sleep not working. I sometimes can wake my display/computer, sometimes not. It's infuriating.

Handoff/continuity/Apple Watch unlock/Universal clipboard - not working reliably from the iPhone/iPad to the Mac. It works 90% the other way around. Apple Watch unlock doesn't work at all. Is is my main complaint. I reallly expected this to work, since I was used to this on my iMac and now my MacBooks. Don't buy the wifi/by card I used, try a different solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back