Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: CustoMac Pro 2010 [RECOMMENDED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi MacMac,
I got the build up n running but, I'm having trouble getting 6 gb to run, it boots then immediately reboots, never going into OS..If I take out 2gb, and only use 4gb, I'm able to boot and launch OS..
I have the RAM on the white,and not on the blue..

I haven't tweaked anything at all yet as far as the RAM.. set to auto

Is there a guide to getting the RAM to run at 1600mhz and stable? Thanks in advance

metallurgy said:
Hi MacMac,
I got the build up n running but, I'm having trouble getting 6 gb to run, it boots then immediately reboots, never going into OS..If I take out 2gb, and only use 4gb, I'm able to boot and launch OS..
I have the RAM on the white,and not on the blue..

I haven't tweaked anything at all yet as far as the RAM.. set to auto

Is there a guide to getting the RAM to run at 1600mhz and stable? Thanks in advance

RAM problems are really a pain and are more common than most people realize. Here's what I would do:

1) Check timings in BIOS: if there are any dashes in the list, then the RAM is not being recognized.
2) Run Memtest on each RAM module individually
3) I have read on other forums that it is not uncommon that RAM pins in the slots are often bent in manufacture. Try switching slots. And RMA the board if some slots are faulty.

good luck.

Ok will do thanks

Ok I found the stick thats giving me a problem.. Technically to mem test a stick of ram its best to do it by themselves right? Well I had a hunch a certain stick of ram was faulty, and this is what happens..

If I put this one stick of ram in, the cpu turns on,but motherboard will not boot,no screen,just powering on... fans running..

If I test with the other sticks of ram, it boots up fine..

This 1 2gb stick of ram is whats preventing me to get to 6gb...

So i guess my only option is to rma it right?

With the other sticks in, it boots.. all 3 - but this stick of ram does not even allow me to boot into the bios as a single ram...

is it at all possible that the settings are just wrong? Any help is welcome

OCZ 6GB Triple Channel Kit DDR3 1600 MHz PC3-12800

metallurgy said:
Ok I found the stick thats giving me a problem.. Technically to mem test a stick of ram its best to do it by themselves right? Well I had a hunch a certain stick of ram was faulty, and this is what happens..

If I put this one stick of ram in, the cpu turns on,but motherboard will not boot,no screen,just powering on... fans running..

If I test with the other sticks of ram, it boots up fine..

This 1 2gb stick of ram is whats preventing me to get to 6gb...

So i guess my only option is to rma it right?

With the other sticks in, it boots.. all 3 - but this stick of ram does not even allow me to boot into the bios as a single ram...

is it at all possible that the settings are just wrong? Any help is welcome

OCZ 6GB Triple Channel Kit DDR3 1600 MHz PC3-12800
If that single stick won't boot, but one of the other singles does, then RMA the set.

Hi MacMan,
Thanks...

I installed the OSX using ur guide,but for some reason when I restart the cpu without iboot ATI in the dvd rom it doesn't load..

I looked in the bios,and set it to achi when installing SN,but when I reboot it tells me there's no hd...

Other then that it,it boots fine with the dvd..

Any thoughts?

metallurgy said:
Hi MacMan,
Thanks...

I installed the OSX using ur guide,but for some reason when I restart the cpu without iboot ATI in the dvd rom it doesn't load..

I looked in the bios,and set it to achi when installing SN,but when I reboot it tells me there's no hd...

Other then that it,it boots fine with the dvd..

Any thoughts?
Sounds like Chameleon isn't installed or you have a boot partition greater than 1TB.

I'm going for another reinstall..will report back

I'm using a 74gb WD raptor..and using iBoot ATI

Went into bios and made sure hd's are config'd for ACHI

Hi Mac Man, Same thing with this install, it won't boot without the iboot cd in drive.. I followed your guide to a T,but there's some problems happening when i try to follow certain parts, I will make them bold next to your guide for ease of reading.. #8 and at the very end... Thanks
Also you mentioned chameleon doesn't sound like it got installed on my setup.. Do I need to select it, in steps 8? How about Network? Any tips? thanks in advance
What is needed:

iBoot ATI
OS X 10.6 Retail DVD
MultiBeast 2.3.0
Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo)
Snow Leopard Graphics Update
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R-2.0-FA DSDT
or
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R-2.0-FB DSDT

Installation Steps:

1.) Boot using iBoot ATI
2.) Install OS X
3.) Reboot using iBoot ATI
4.) Remove iBoot ATIdisc.
5.) Launch MultiBeast but don't let the installer run
6.) Launch and install Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo), but don't click restart when it completes
7.) Launch and install Snow Leopard Graphics Update, but don't click restart when it completes
8.) Run MultiBeast with the following options: If I try and click on Multi Beast at this point, it says it's installer failed,but I did not press install,I just clicked on it's gui,n failed message,and do you want to open it again.. Not sure what's going on with that
- UserDSDT
- Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Audio -> LegacyHDA -> ALC889
- Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Disk -> JMicron36x (aka GSATA) -> JMicron36xeSATA or JMicron36xSATA depending on wether you want internal or external GSATA ports
- Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Disk -> JMicron36x (aka GSATA) -> JMicron36xATA (Optional for ATA/IDE support only)
- Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Graphics -> Enablers -> ATY_Init Vervet
- Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Network -> Realtek Gigabit Ethernet -> Realtek RTL8169 Ethernet
- Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist -> 32-bit GraphicsEnabler=No
- Advanced Options -> smbios.plist -> Mac Pro -> Core i7 9.) Close MultiBeast and click restart on Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo) or Snow Leopard Graphics Update These gui's go away when I click on Multibeast, so I have to restart by using the apple sign...Are they in the background some where,can I pull them up again,when they dissapear? What am I missing? Thanks for any tips...
10.) Enjoy your CustoMac Pro and all the money you saved :D

I can't get any audio working on either,I have monitors plugged into the jacks in the back,but no sound...Any idea's?

Do I need to install easy beast,or pick chameleon? I'm confused as to why others are having success,but I'm not following this guide..

Anyone got a clue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back