Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: CustoMac Pro 2010 [RECOMMENDED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick on for all CustoMac owners - I'm sure I'm quite a few weeks late on the but BIOS FE is out and also the DSDT from MacMan

Public service message - just picked up a i7-950 from Microcenter for $199. Price is not listed on their website, you have to add it to the cart first.

Thanks for all the great info!

Sonic

:headbang:

MacMan said:
newrigel said:
Any word on 6 core capability?
I'm taking the plunge into a hack because the 6 core MP is just way over priced when I can build this and have USB3 too so is the 6 core processors supported on your builds?
Yes on X58 based motherboards. Check out this build, http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... -2010.html as a starting point.
So your saying that you can put a 6 core intel i7 on this board instead of the 980 4 core?

I'm working on a mac pro build based on your specs, with some tweaks from lifehacker. I plan on using it primarily for FCP/Color/Photoshop (large image sizes). Here it is so far:

Gigabyte LGA1366 SATA3 ATI CrossFireX ATX Motherboard GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 Desktop Processor
EVGA GeForce GT 240 Superclocked PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card 512-P3-1242-LR
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5 TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive ST31500341AS-Bare Drive (in raid 1 configuration)
OCZ Technology 120 GB Vertex 2 Series SATA II 3.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) OCZSSD3-2VTX120G (system drive)
Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case External 3 X 5.25; Internal 6 X 3.5 2*Usb2.0
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

I'm having trouble picking out RAM. I'm looking at cards compatible with the motherboard, but I noticed that the specs for the CPU say DDR3-1066, not DDR3-1600 (which most of the DIMMs I see on this board, and the guide are). Can I use these?

Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX

They're compatible with the motherboard. But are they compatible with the CPU?

pmodernme said:
I'm working on a mac pro build based on your specs, with some tweaks from lifehacker. I plan on using it primarily for FCP/Color/Photoshop (large image sizes). Here it is so far:

Gigabyte LGA1366 SATA3 ATI CrossFireX ATX Motherboard GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 Desktop Processor
EVGA GeForce GT 240 Superclocked PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card 512-P3-1242-LR
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5 TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive ST31500341AS-Bare Drive (in raid 1 configuration)
OCZ Technology 120 GB Vertex 2 Series SATA II 3.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) OCZSSD3-2VTX120G (system drive)
Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case External 3 X 5.25; Internal 6 X 3.5 2*Usb2.0
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

I'm having trouble picking out RAM. I'm looking at cards compatible with the motherboard, but I noticed that the specs for the CPU say DDR3-1066, not DDR3-1600 (which most of the DIMMs I see on this board, and the guide are). Can I use these?

Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX

They're compatible with the motherboard. But are they compatible with the CPU?

Please post in the Buying Advice section - I have no history of the Nvidia 2XX cards and heard some people have had issues with the Fermi cards. Please PM me a link to your new thread and I will reply there.

I am considering tonymacx's Budget Power Build 3 and have some questions.

Is there a recommended ATX Media Center/HTPC case for this build that will not have a chance of overheating because of crowding of the components?

Can this build carry a bluray drive (I would think read only)? I know that i have read on other sites that you can connect bluray drives and that the mac will read the data but cannot write to them or play them as a bluray disc. Unless of course I misread it. (I will not post the link so as to move traffic over to another site.) I would love this capability for ripping purposes.

Regarding the Diamond ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB video card -

I have read some reports of this card dying after moderate use, is this card more reliable than it seems?

Will this card carry audio via the HDMI cable output? I know that I have seen that MacBooks will carry video and audio via an HDMI cable if an audio enabled mini displayport to HDMI converter is used - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4167. Is there a way to get this to work on an HTPC with one of these builds?

I have a bunch of blurays ripped and in digital format. I would love to have a nice running mac that can handle the strain of playing these HD videos with minimal effort. I am also willing to budget whatever it takes to get the job done right. The worst thing for me is to spend $1300 and then have the build have trouble meeting my demands. A couple extra "benjamins" will not kill me.

BTW, I am not looking to break the mold, i just want something that will work with minimal effort and without dying on me.

Thank you all for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back