Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: CustoMac Mini 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: CustoMac Mini 2012

11.12_MG_9098.jpg
Boot in Verbose mode and take a picture where it hangs and put it here . Someone will be able to tell you where the problem is .
this is where I get and then it hangs. I see boot cache unable to open, unknown cpu model, and I dunno what else. any help appreciated.

anybody know any good custom install settings for the
Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI

View attachment 43191
this is where I get and then it hangs. I see boot cache unable to open, unknown cpu model, and I dunno what else. any help appreciated.

Did you disable Vtd in the bios a few people are saying they had problems with that being on .

Two years ago, I built a big box with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, an i7 and 10.6...ran great but began having issues with the introduction of 10.7. Specifically, the APP Store was a horrible experience, as in I COULDN'T LOG IN! I tried 50 different work-arounds, with no success. Lack of being able to log in to app store makes software a problem.

This thread was particularly of interest, since it seemed that people were having success and it was relatively cheap. So I figured I'd give it a shot...here is my build, pretty standard:

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 120 ($49)
Intel Core i3-3225 w/stock cooler($132)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI ($109)
RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3 ($70)
PSU: Corsair TX550 Partial Modular ($77)
Storage: Hitachi SATA 3Gb/s 1TB HDD (Salvaged from old Dell system)
SSD: Corsair Force 3 120GB (Salvaged from prior Hackintosh)
Optical: Generic 5.25 8x DVD R/RW (Fry’s best LG…$20)
Wi-FI Adapter: TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter (TL-WDN4800) ($33 Fry's)
OS: Dual Boot: Ubuntu Linux(Free) on 1TB/ML 10.8.2 on Corsair
Total Investment: $490 + tax
Total Build time: 2 hours

Success! Only issues so far...no recognition of the Ubuntu through the bootloader; if I want to use that, I have to go through F12 at boot. But -- knock on wood -- that is the only issue so far. Will probably delete the Ubuntu, and reformat Hitachi to use the 1TB for documents/music/etc (why use Linux when you can have ML?).

BTW, I used Multibeast per the guide at http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-customac-mini-2012-guide-notes-progress.html (no audio through HDMI)...piece of cake!

Thanks to tonymacx86.com for encouragement and plans.

Attachments

• customacmini2012-mb.jpg
    customacmini2012-mb.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 194

Did you disable Vtd in the bios a few people are saying they had problems with that being on .
I disabled VT-d in bios. no difference.

I disabled VT-d in bios. no difference.

So weird ! A lot of people are having problems with this board lately , I don't know why as everything worked out of the box for me. Come to this thread :

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...ip-build-ga-z77n-wifi-i5-3570k-hd-6870-a.html

And note your problem there with the screen shot too ! It may pay to read through it ,you may find an answer as there are a lot of comments .

Really sorry I couldn't help

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is , Did you use MultiBeast ? If so did you use UserDSDT/DSDT free ? The black screen could be you don't have GraphicsEnabler set to yes .

You can check this by looking in your extra folder on your boot drive , Then open org.chameleon.boot.plist .

Heres mine for example :

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Your using the same board as mine so yours should be basically the same ?

this is what i got ...btw i won't be able to open ML unless i use GraphicsEnabler=No

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1024x768x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

So weird ! A lot of people are having problems with this board lately , I don't know why as everything worked out of the box for me. Come to this thread :

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...ip-build-ga-z77n-wifi-i5-3570k-hd-6870-a.html

And note your problem there with the screen shot too ! It may pay to read through it ,you may find an answer as there are a lot of comments .

Really sorry I couldn't help
thanks for your help-reading that thread now.

So, back from vacation, and just wanted to say that this problem is solved. Thanks so much for your help.
I took the entire machine apart a 3rd time and it worked!
I am still unsure of what the problem was, but I suspect my RAM needed just a bit more push to be firmly and correctly installed.

Unfortunately though, there's a new obstacle, and I'm hoping perhaps you can help.

SYSTEM: GA-H77N-WIFI Customac Mini built to spec with onboard HD, 16G RAM, 1TB HDD.
PROBLEM: I successfully installed the latest Unibeast for Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on a USB thumb drive, did NOT check "legacy/1156" nor "laptop" options.
I am using a USB keyboard and USB optical scroll mouse (generic non-Apple hardware).

The mouse works fine in the UEFI BIOS setup screen when selecting the USB as a boot drive, but once the OSX install screen comes up, it no longer works so I select the language and press "Enter". At the next screen, the mouse pointer remains stuck in the upper left corner and pressing "Enter" to continue no longer works. The keyboard is working, but only responds to the "Tab" key which switches/alternately selects the "back" arrow button and the "continue" button on the screen.

Is there a way to get the mouse working? OR
Is there a way to continue install with keyboard only and then get the mouse working?

BTW, I tried all 6 USB 2.0 slots for the USB device and the mouse.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back