Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide October 2013

I think the i3 processors should state 54W TDP vs 84W.

thanks for the updated guide and great site.

Thanks- fixed! :thumbup:

Is there any chance that the i7-4820K will be supported? Or the Xeon E5-16xx V2 cpu's? I'm also wondering why the Xeon E3-12xx (up to V3) series are not inlcuded either.

These are the processors I would be trying to get in a Hackintosh build more than anything, especially for their price over performance ratio's.

Most of, if not all the builds I see here on this site are built for gaming. Which is weird because as a Mac user, I never game on my Macs. Even if they say it's video edting system it's really not, not even close. The closest I've seen on this site is something called 'Mufasa'. But that had older E5xxx Xeons on a older socket. It was lucky if it could handle 4k footage at half res. I would love to see an "actual" video editing workstations comparable to PC world, i.e. HP RED rigs or the like with todays parts. There has to be at least a few of you guys with all the money to make these rigs that can make an Adobe supported NLE workstation.

I see your point, and thanks for the comment- we focus mainly on consumer parts in this guide. Sounds like you're after a Xeon based Socket 2011 build- like the new Mac Pro will be. As far as Xeon CPUs and motherboards, the Socket 2011 build will be updated to Ivy Bridge-E CPUs as soon as our testing with those chips is complete. We are also thinking that compatibility could change significantly with the new version of OS X. As it stands right now, Socket 2011 systems are not optimal for OS X.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/393-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-october-2013.html#socket_2011

I see your point, and thanks for the comment- we focus mainly on consumer parts in this guide. Sounds like you're after a Xeon based Socket 2011 build- like the new Mac Pro will be. As far as Xeon CPUs and motherboards, the Socket 2011 build will be updated to Ivy Bridge-E CPUs as soon as our testing with those chips is complete. We are also thinking that compatibility could change significantly with the new version of OS X. As it stands right now, Socket 2011 systems are not optimal for OS X.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/393-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-october-2013.html#socket_2011

Thanks Tony. Wish I could try a build myself. I might just have to.

The 1TB Seagate drive from Newegg under the system drive list says it has been discontinued.

you can use and any SATA HDD... I prefer Western Digital... its the SSD's I am concerned about.... sometimes the 240 Sandisk is discontinued... or 100 over priced

Hi ! I'm now ready to make my own build, but I have a last question.
Since there's no motherboard with firewire 400, and it is how my audio interface works (http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_400.php), I'll still need to use this : http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0013899RI/?tag=tonymacx8607-21
Will this be recognised by Mac os ?

Thank you !

you can add in any Mac compatible Firewaire card to the PCi or PCI-E slots after you have built your machine

i purchased a cheap one from ebay (£11 inc delivery) and it works fine in my build Z77-DS3H board and i5 CPU

Where can I find graphics cards that are 10.6.8 snow leopard compatable? I would like to dual boot latest 10.x and 10.6.8

Wow... Tony... thanx for the update on the buyers guide...
wish you guys would post an approved buyers guide item for a big horsepower dual-socket build config
thanks for all you guys do...

Where can I find graphics cards that are 10.6.8 snow leopard compatable? I would like to dual boot latest 10.x and 10.6.8

I have an Asus Radeon EAH 6850 1GB that works in both Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion

I also have a 9800 GT 512 mb that works in both Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion

Radeon 6850 has dual DVI , HDMI and Display Port

9800 GT has dual DVI ( check some had single DVI , HDMI and VGA )

Both can be found on Amazon new and refurbished. Last time I checked a week ago there were 9800 GT cards available for around $50.00. Radeon 6850 cards run about $100.00 to $150.00 on Amazon

The new Kepler based cards are supported in Mountain Lion but not in Snow Leopard.

If you want a new card something like a GT 210 will work on both Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion but it has single DVI, HDMI and VGA. Costs about $30.00 new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back