Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide July 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! Thank you for your infos. Do I have to buy an Intel Core i3-3225 or can I also use an Intel Core i3-3220T CPU with 35W?

- - - Updated - - -

Hello! Thank you for your infos. Do I have to buy an Intel Core i3-3225ntel Core i3-3225 or can I also use an Core i3-3220T CPU?

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 TH (rev. 1.0) Motherboard is now the most compatible with OS X 10.8.4 with new MultiBeast-Mountain-Lion-Edition-5.4.1. Everything is working.

Ok I'm new at this and I'm trying to understand the hardware components for my build. I can understand having to have a certain motherboard, hard drives, processor, and 3rd party hardware, but does the RAM have to be a certain brand or speed?

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide July 2013

Hi guys, currently building a customac budget matx

For the seagate harddrive would the 64MB cache one work as well as the 32MB one? Can't find the 32 mb one in NZ anymore

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B004IZN3YI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tonymacx86com-20

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375145211&sr=1-1&keywords=Seagate+Barracuda+1+TB+7200RPM+SATA+64+MB

thanks
[h=1][/h]

This might be a stupid question, but couldn't I use a 500W on the Mini Deluxe? I've built one already with the 650W, but don't understand why the "CustoMac" only uses an 500W? I just feel that the 650W is a bit overkill. :/

Nobody????????:(:(

Nobody????????:(:(

The budget builds use a smaller power supply as if you were building a budget build then you will be less likely to use an expensive power consuming graphics card in the build.

Yes you can use a 500W supply in your build if that reflects your power requirements better. You can even use a smaller rated one if required. The recommendations are general recommendations only rather than being hard and fast rules.

Adrian B

There needs to be a user vote system that allows people that have used or tested a component to rate it, that way we know whether the compatibility isn't just one or two people that say "Success, this motherboard works!", or actually multiple people. Just sayin. I bought the Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WiFi as recommended above and though I've setup over 10 hackintosh systems, I couldn't get the bugs out of this one due to the board. I'm now waiting for my "tried-and-true" GA-Z77X-UD5H to arrive as the replacement, and had to RMA the Bitfenix Prodigy case as well in exchange for a Fractal Design tower.

There needs to be a user vote system that allows people that have used or tested a component to rate it, that way we know whether the compatibility isn't just one or two people that say "Success, this motherboard works!", or actually multiple people. Just sayin. I bought the Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WiFi as recommended above and though I've setup over 10 hackintosh systems, I couldn't get the bugs out of this one due to the board. I'm now waiting for my "tried-and-true" GA-Z77X-UD5H to arrive as the replacement, and had to RMA the Bitfenix Prodigy case as well in exchange for a Fractal Design tower.
Did you see this build description / how to do it ? http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/97296-giacomoleopardos-gigabyte-ga-z77n-wifi-build-db.html Seems to work OOB then you can fine tune is with the methods described in Giacomoleopardo's Golden Build description. I'm not quite seeing the problem here.

The budget builds use a smaller power supply as if you were building a budget build then you will be less likely to use an expensive power consuming graphics card in the build.

Yes you can use a 500W supply in your build if that reflects your power requirements better. You can even use a smaller rated one if required. The recommendations are general recommendations only rather than being hard and fast rules.

Adrian B

Thank you Adrian for the reply. I'm planning on only using the onboard graphics since this will only be an music production computer I really don't need and add on graphics. I went overkill on my wife's photo editing computer by using the full custo build, but she's always on it and is one of those lazy people that likes to have 25 tabs opened, 4 word docs, photoshop css6, and sure cuts a lot 2 running. In honest opinion what would be the lowest power I could go using with GA-Z77N-WIFI in the Prodigy case? Thanks

Thank you Adrian for the reply. I'm planning on only using the onboard graphics since this will only be an music production computer I really don't need and add on graphics. I went overkill on my wife's photo editing computer by using the full custo build, but she's always on it and is one of those lazy people that likes to have 25 tabs opened, 4 word docs, photoshop css6, and sure cuts a lot 2 running. In honest opinion what would be the lowest power I could go using with GA-Z77N-WIFI in the Prodigy case? Thanks

You can use a Corsair CX430, Corsair CX430M, Antec EA-430 Green or similar.
The maximum depth that you can use in that case is I believe approx 160mm for a non modular power supply. A modular power supply is recommended by many builders for that case, in which case the Corsair CX430M would be perfect.

In truth, I doubt that you need more than 160 watts in real terms - the problem is that you do not get quality power supplies lower than the likes of the 430W ones that I listed in the last paragraph. I like to think that we might see more companies look at this section of the market as CPU power requirements are dropping for modern desk chipsets and their corresponding motherboards.

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back