Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide July 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concerning the CustoMac Mini Deluxe (mini-ITX),

I've read on this AnandTech article that 160mm power supplies are a really tight fit in the BitFenix Prodigy. The article recommends using a 140mm PSU instead. Here's a few other PSU options that other BitFenix Prodigy builders may wish to consider:

For $74.99 you can get the SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX power supply. It's only 140mm, and it's fully-modular. (This one looks like the best choice, in my opinion.)

For $109.99 you can get the SILVERSTONE ST55F-G 550W ATX power supply. It's also 140mm and fully-modular. It costs more because it's gold-rated and compatible with SLI/Crossfire.

For $69.99 you can get the XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX power supply. It's not modular, but it's still 140mm.

I just noticed that the ASUS GTX 670 recommended here is the 4GB version, whereas all the other 670s in the list are the 2GB models. There is a 2 GB model of the ASUS GTX 670 though (which is way cheaper btw), is there any problem with that one?

Whether Photoshop GPU will work in this Hackintosh machines...if i build on my own .. Please advise....

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide July 2013

Whether Photoshop GPU will work in this Hackintosh machines...if i build on my own .. Please advise....

Photoshop will be able to utilize whatever GPU you have installed in your Hack, assuming it is supported by Photoshop, which most modern cards are. Not so much a Hackintosh issue as it is an Adobe one, check out this FAQ: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html

I'm running an old GeForce 8600GT, and PS CS6 can use it for some things like anti-aliasing and smooth scaling (zoom), but I would need a better card for 3D support.

Speaking of graphics cards, what would be some solid options for someone running Snow Leopard still? (10.6.8). I see that all the recommended cards on the list do not work for SL.

I am wanting to build the Budget ATX. I notice the i7 cpu isn't listed but when I checked out the
GA-Z77-DS3H
motherboard it lists the i7 as a supported CPU. Also I need a firewire PCI card. I plan on installing 10.8 then updating to 10.8.4 so I can run Logic Pro X. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If anyone can clear my doubt it would be great
Is the following build compatible with the OSX Mountain Lion?
Sapphire Readon HD 7870 OC edition
ASUS Sabertooth X79
Intel Core i5-4670
NZXT Phantom 820

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone can clear my doubt it would be great
Is the following build compatible with the OSX Mountain Lion?
Sapphire Readon HD 7870 OC edition
ASUS Sabertooth X79
Intel Core i5-4670
NZXT Phantom 820

Does this motherboard support the Haswell CPUs ?
Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UD5H Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back