Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all,

Straight up as the title says, I'm new here, feel free to comment on my build.

CPU
Intel i5- 3570k

MOTHERBOARD
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H

RAM
CORSAIR 16G VENGEANCE BLACK (4Gx4)

GPU
GTX560 ti (EVGA or MSI?)
SSD
Sandisk Extreme 120gb / Seagate Barracuda 1TB
PSU
CORSAIR CX500
CASE
CORSAIR CARBIDE 300R

All parts work nice with ML? also, gtx670 worth the money?

Hello all,

Straight up as the title says, I'm new here, feel free to comment on my build.

CPU
Intel i5- 3570k

MOTHERBOARD
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H

These are both fine.

RAM
CORSAIR 16G VENGEANCE BLACK (4Gx4)

I would either get 2x8gb dimms or 4x8gb dimms. Four 4gb dimms essentially mean you will have to toss ALL of your ram out if you want to upgrade and it's not significantly more expensive to get 2 x8 gb dimms, which leave you the option of maxing out the ram at a later date.

Also from what I can find that ram is over priced. You should be able to get two 8gb sticks of ram for $80-$90 or possibly less if you catch a good sale.

The heat sinks on this ram are also stupidly large and can cause problems with the larger CPU heatsinks.

GPU
GTX560 ti (EVGA or MSI?)

also, gtx670 worth the money?

The 560ti is a good card. You should be able to find a 570 for not a lot more money though. EVGA tends to charge a premium, in part because they offer a very good warranty, which is good if you plan on holding on to the card for a long time. MSI is usually more affordable and their TwinFrozr cooler based cards tend to be very well reviewed. ASUS also makes very good cards.

As to if the 670 is worth the money, well it depends on how much you game and how large your monitor is. A 570 will do just fine for a 1920x1080 monitor in most games. The 670 isn't really going to come into it's own until you are talking a 2560x1440+ rez screen and/or multiple monitors.

Though IME a lot of mac games do tend to be handicapped more by the unoptimized nature of games created originally for windows and Apples often poor OpenGL drivers, than the power of the graphics card.

SSD
Sandisk Extreme 120gb / Seagate Barracuda 1TB

If you want to do video work, you might want to look at a non-Sandforce drive. They deal very poorly with highly compressed data like video. I'd look at a Samsung 830, Crucial M4 or OCZ 4 series drive.

You'll also probably find that a 120gb SSD can get cramped. I would strongly suggest looking at a 240gb if you can afford it.

PSU
CORSAIR CX500
CASE
CORSAIR CARBIDE 300R

Not familiar with the power supply. The case has generally gotten good reviews IIRC.

Okay, Video Processing is Lightwave, Motion, FCPX, Premiere Pro, Hanky sack with a head otherwise known as Beanie Baby.
Please, explain your software needs.

ggeorge you sound like me now. The suggestions this person made are correct for RAM, CPU, Motherboard, and SSD.

Try to get Intel or Samsung SSD and you can get 2!

Case and PSU, I don't know enough to comment.

GPU, why do you need a GTX560? Are you running CS6 After Effects with 25+ layers?

GPU, why do you need a GTX560? Are you running CS6 After Effects with 25+ layers?

i am also in the 560ti, 570 or the new 650 market... and have similar needs to the original post. would you mind recommending an adequate alternative or explaining why the 560 would be over kill? thanks!

i am also in the 560ti, 570 or the new 650 market... and have similar needs to the original post. would you mind recommending an adequate alternative or explaining why the 560 would be over kill? thanks!

I want to read this answer too.. i plan to do some vid editing too...

Aight, FCPX, PPro CS5-6, and After Effects up to CS5-5.5 don't use your video card to the point that you need massive processing power.

Here is a great read to that explains my point. http://studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm
Your also welcome to look at Adobe.com and watch their videos about their software and how they utilize the GPU.

NOW, their is a kicker! This is verified by the Studio1 read. Do READ it completely! If your going to be making mostly DVDs and Blu-Rays then do yourself a favor and get the most powerful video card you can afford. The reason I say this is that it won't need to be replaced it as often as your processor upgrades.

My personal experience. I have an GA-P55A-UD3 with a X3440 processor. I have used a GTX470, GTX 285, 8800GT and 9800GT. The only card that performed poorly was the 8800GT because it doesn't have 1 GB of VRAM. GTX470, 285, and 8800GT all performed exactly the same. I don't make DVDs. Thank you very much.

Now, to After Effects. If your going to use CS6 then get the most powerful CUDA card possible because it can now use multiple GPUs, and every CUDA core you throw at it. (Hence, I am saving the GTX480 for this. :) HINT HINT)

I know people will buy emotionally as I did in the past (DUNCE). Just letting everyone know there is a value and a few bucks to be saved if your shop for the software your going to be using.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input ggeorge :)

So I'm convinced at 2x8 gb, could you recommend one?

I was planning a qHD monitor. Would the gtx560ti not enough?

I think I might go for the Samsung 830 series ssd, these work oob?

:)

Thanks for your input ggeorge :)

So I'm convinced at 2x8 gb, could you recommend one?

I've used Gskill of late. newegg usually has some good prices on them, when there's a sale, but I'm not convinced the brand matters all that much unless you are really trying to push your system to the limits. There's only a handful of manufacturers of memory chips and probably not that many more makers of the actual DIMM stick. Mostly branding seems to consist of slapping on a fancy heat sink and those are really mostly just there to look pretty.

I was planning a qHD monitor. Would the gtx560ti not enough?

Not for gaming. You're going to have to step down the eye candy if you want to run at 2560x1440 or something like that. You need a top tier card like a 670 or 680 for gaming at those resolutions.

Simply displaying an image, normal work or even video processing, it will be fine.

Remember when you double the resolution, you increase the number of pixels by 4x. Obviously, this isn't that much larger than a 1920x1080 screen, but it's enough more polygons that midrange cards start to choke. Just check out any decent graphics card review that shows results for both res. You'll see a substantial drop off going to the 2560x1440 and generally only the top tier cards will handle it half way decently.

I think I might go for the Samsung 830 series ssd, these work oob?

That was one of the drives I recommended. Basically though, the brand and type of SSD have no effect on compatibility, just performance.

Thanks ggeroge,

I really appreciate your advices around this forum :)

I've decided to stay at 1920x1080 for now, as my priority will be video processing.

So I guess the branding doesn't affect the compatibility that much, I'm curious if, just to reduce the price,

CPU
Intel 3570 (w/o OC just b/c lower price)
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H77-D3H (this work also?) Originally I had GA-Z77-DS3H
GPU
MSI GTX560 ti (probably)
RAM
Samsung DDR3 4g or the g.skill 4g x4 (samsung compatible I would expect?)
SSD
Samsung 830 series (as planned)
ODD
LG brand but don't know what (compatible?)

Thanks man. I'm still debating about my build, but I just want your sincere comments :)
After this, I'll be ready to choose my final build. Hoping to write a success review soon.

Thanks ggeroge,

I really appreciate your advices around this forum :)

I've decided to stay at 1920x1080 for now, as my priority will be video processing.

YW.

CPU
Intel 3570 (w/o OC just b/c lower price)

I would get the K version and the DS3H, rather than the D3H.

The audio is not fully working on the D3H. It is on the DS3H.

Also overclocking, when done with care and restraint, is free performance and it can be a not insigificant boost. Clockspeeds a gigahertz higher are not unknown.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H77-D3H (this work also?) Originally I had GA-Z77-DS3H

Get the DS3H and put the extra 20 bucks towards the K version of the CPU.

GPU
MSI GTX560 ti (probably)

Given the price on the 560ti's I would either get a plain 560, which are as cheap as $150 after rebate or go for a 570. The 560ti's are kind of pricey for what you get.

RAM
Samsung DDR3 4g or the g.skill 4g x4 (samsung compatible I would expect?)

Get 2 x 8 gb dimms, not 4 x 4gb dimms, that way if you want to go to 32gb you don't have to toss out all your memory and spend twice as much.

ODD
LG brand but don't know what (compatible?)

Probably shouldn't matter. I don't know about video software, but I think I've bought two pieces of disk software and one of those was the D3 collectors edition, which isn't available as just a download.

Thanks man. I'm still debating about my build, but I just want your sincere comments :)

You might want to consider picking up a coolermaster Hyper 212 or one of it's variants. They're inexpensive ($25 or so) and surprisingly quiet and effective. Definitely an improvement over the stock coolers.

After this, I'll be ready to choose my final build. Hoping to write a success review soon.

Let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back