Contribute
Register

Build Advice for a Videographer - 4K Video Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this isn't precisely the right thread but I can't ask this directly since I don't have a high enough post count yet.

I built essentially this same machine last night and almost everything is working except for the USB3 ports. I was wondering if you had gotten yours to work and if so how you did it. I only ask here since our systems are essentially identical.

Yes. I had the same issue and it was super simple to fix. Open Unibeast and then the USB tab and select to load the second and third options. Then click build, load, and restart computer. Should work then. Easy.

Yes. I had the same issue and it was super simple to fix. Open Unibeast and then the USB tab and select to load the second and third options. Then click build, load, and restart computer. Should work then. Easy.

Unibeast - the tool that creates the bootable USB drive? Do you mean Multibeast and checking "3rd Party USB 3.0" and "7/8/9 Series USB Support"?

OK, I did it and that worked. Thanks so much! Now to figure out if these USB-C ports can be used to access my Thunderbolt hard drive... Does anyone know or do I need a Thunderbolt card?

OK, I did it and that worked. Thanks so much! Now to figure out if these USB-C ports can be used to access my Thunderbolt hard drive... Does anyone know or do I need a Thunderbolt card?
If you have Thunderbolt 3 on your drive then it works with USB-C. If you have Thunderbolt 1 or 2 then you need an adapter, if you used the same motherboard as me z170x Gigabyte Designaire

I know this isn't precisely the right thread but I can't ask this directly since I don't have a high enough post count yet.

I built essentially this same machine last night and almost everything is working except for the USB3 ports. I was wondering if you had gotten yours to work and if so how you did it. I only ask here since our systems are essentially identical.
You can use the port limit patch in Multibeast 9.0.1 temporarily to get them working. You'll need an SSDT for your USB ports for a long term solution. Use search and read up on what that entails.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-10-11-usb-changes-and-solutions.173616/

You can use the port limit patch in Multibeast 9.0.1 temporarily to get them working. You'll need an SSDT for your USB ports for a long term solution. Use search and read up on what that entails.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-10-11-usb-changes-and-solutions.173616/
Whoa... TRS I just read both articles and I am more than confused.... First of all, what does SSDT stand for? Second, knowing what motherboard I have, Z170X Gigabyte Designaire, can someone send me a correct SSDT and maybe a YouTube video that will walk me through all this? I'm not sure I am capable of doing all that correctly. Way over my head.

Sorry, forgot you're still working from a noob perspective. You have been here almost a month though. :)

From the tonymacx86 glossary:
The Secondary System Description Table is an ACPI table (secondary to the DSDT). The SSDT is usually used to configure system power management parameters, though it can also be used for other purposes. On some systems multiple SSDT files may be present, named SSDT.aml, SSDT-1.aml, SSDT-2.aml, and so on.

If you don't want to go through all this then don't use the port limit patch and just use the USB ports that do work. Most people don't use all of their USB ports on modern motherboards.

Sorry, forgot you're still working from a noob perspective. You have been here almost a month though. :)

From the tonymacx86 glossary:
The Secondary System Description Table is an ACPI table (secondary to the DSDT). The SSDT is usually used to configure system power management parameters, though it can also be used for other purposes. On some systems multiple SSDT files may be present, named SSDT.aml, SSDT-1.aml, SSDT-2.aml, and so on.

If you don't want to go through all this then don't use the port limit patch and just use the USB ports that do work. Most people don't use all of their USB ports on modern motherboards.

Ok. That makes sense. Unfortunately all of my rear USB ports don't work without the port limit patch and the front ones do. This makes my build very ugly if I have to leave my external drivers plugged into the front so I need to do what you are telling me to do. I found this video on youtube and it sounds similar to what those two articles outline. Can you take a look and tell me if this is what I need to do? Skip past his speed tests and then its a fairly short tutorial.

That is not the same as a custom SSDT for your motherboard. Besides anyone who tells you to pray and hope that it works out shouldn't instill any confidence in you that he knows what is best to do.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/
RM and others will help you out in that thread if you get stuck anywhere. Take your time and don't rush through it. As Confucius once said, "Hackintosh take great patience." The Chinese did invent the computer a long time ago. They just weren't powered by electricity and silicon chips.

That is not the same as a custom SSDT for your motherboard. Besides anyone who tells you to pray and hope that it works out shouldn't instill any confidence in you that he knows what is best to do.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/
RM and others will help you out in that thread if you get stuck anywhere. Take your time and don't rush through it. As Confucius once said, "Hackintosh take great patience." The Chinese did invent the computer a long time ago. They just weren't powered by electricity and silicon chips.

Lol. I missed that statement by the guy. Ok thanks.... I'll work on that this weekend I guess. Once I make this once I can reuse it in the future if needed correct? I won't have to redo this every time I upgrade the OS and stuff will I? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back