Contribute
Register

[BUG] Black screen 3 minutes after booting, CoffeeLake UHD 630

Sorry, attached.

The ioreg you attached shows full brightness (ApplePanelRawBrightness=0xff7b).
AppleBacklightAtBoot=0xd4bf (so your laptop was at ~83% brightness at the time macOS loaded).
Also, please use the SSDT-PNLF debug version I posted a while back as it provides additional information on the system backlight registers prior to booting macOS.

You should also try 'wrap'...
You didn't describe what happens when you press your brightness up key.
Check in ioreg when you press that key (use remote desktop to access the machine).

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.
Nothing really happens when I press the key in the black screen, the screen stays black, there's no backlight. Then the login screen comes up and then the brightness up key works.
Also, I dont have another mac/hackintosh to test with remote desktop :(
Will try 'wrap' now.

The ioreg you attached shows full brightness (ApplePanelRawBrightness=0xff7b).
AppleBacklightAtBoot=0xd4bf (so your laptop was at ~83% brightness at the time macOS loaded).
Also, please use the SSDT-PNLF debug version I posted a while back as it provides additional information on the system backlight registers prior to booting macOS.
That's weird. There's just no light whatsoever.
Anyway, where can I find the debug version of SSDT-PNLF?
Also, I'm using EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi with AptioMemoryFix.efi(this setup fixes sleep/waking up for me), that cant be the reason right?

Anyway, where can I find the debug version of SSDT-PNLF?

It is attached somewhere in this thread. You can find it as easily as I can...

That's weird. There's just no light whatsoever.

After 3 minutes, does it come back?
What about with 'wrap' and pressing your brightness keys?

Also, I'm using EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi with AptioMemoryFix.efi(this setup fixes sleep/waking up for me), that cant be the reason right?

Typically AptioMemoryFix.efi enables native NVRAM, so no need for EmuVariable.

It is attached somewhere in this thread. You can find it as easily as I can...

Typically AptioMemoryFix.efi enables native NVRAM, so no need for EmuVariable.
Found it. Posting the debug.zip in a few moments.
I understand your reasoning for Aptio and EmuVariable but as bland as it sounds, if I remove EmuVariable, my laptop wont go to sleep and even if it does, it wont come out of it.
But with EmuVariable in place, I've put it to sleep and got it out of it a million times by now.

@RehabMan
Changed from freq to wrap, used the debug version of SSDT-PNFL and this time, no 3 minute black screen, weird. Also, brightness works.
Let me try to reboot a couple of times to see if it really works across all reboots.
Till then, the PR files for this success have been attached.

Attachments

• debug_3904.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 75
Hmmm, not working consistently.
Out of the 4 boots, the first 3 boots were without the 3 minute delay, the 4th one however, had the 3 minute delay so not sure what do I do next.
PR Files attached from the problematic boot.
Also, I'm using WhateverGreen.kext just to help fix the 3 minute problem because once its fixed I wont be using the said kext because it doesn't let my device wake from sleep(no backlight+no response). So I'll be stuck with the 3 minute delay in order to have perfect sleep(without WhateverGreen, natively).

Attachments

• debug_465.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
Hmmm, not working consistently.
Out of the 4 boots, the first 3 boots were without the 3 minute delay, the 4th one however, had the 3 minute delay so not sure what do I do next.
PR Files attached from the problematic boot.
Also, I'm using WhateverGreen.kext just to help fix the 3 minute problem because once its fixed I wont be using the said kext because it doesn't let my device wake from sleep(no backlight+no response). So I'll be stuck with the 3 minute delay in order to have perfect sleep(without WhateverGreen, natively).

It might be interesting to see PR files after wake from sleep, especially if we can get some logs from WhateverGreen that show what the PWM registers are being set to.

It might be interesting to see PR files after wake from sleep, especially if we can get some logs from WhateverGreen that show what the PWM registers are being set to.
Okay so I just got a hack from one of my friends, if you could tell me how I can log in to this CFL hack using my friend's hack, I would be able to provide you with the logs.

Back