Contribute
Register

Bringing new life to Mac Pro 3.1 (Early 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have Mac Pro 3.1 (Early 2008) and it needs a bit of upgrading. First I was thinking to build a Hackintosh, but at the moment I would like to stick with the old box and upgrade it a bit and use it as a backup machine.

All the parts that I want to upgrade seem pretty straight forward (SSD, RAM, USB 3.0, etc.) except of course the GPU. Buying fully compatible Mac GPU is not an option, so I've been searching and trying to learn a bit or two last few days and there's so much info on the topic, but I would like to specify my needs, and would like a bit of your help to pull it of.

So, I will list my wishes and if someone could help me, that would be nice.

I would use the machine mostly for Photoshop and Lightroom, most of the Ps work is with large files (more than 4GB in size).

I would also like to run a BootCamp for occasional gaming (Project cars or similar).

In near future I'm planing to buy 4K display as well, so it would be nice to have that option available.

And I was thinking about a card in 4GB range.

One of my main questions is: Is it possible to put new non-flashed GPU next to original one and to boot through old card so I have the boot screen? I would like boot screen simply cause it's more convenient, but I think I could live without it.

Other option is flashing the card, which I never did before, so any recommendation on that side would be welcome as well.

All recommendations regarding card options that would suit my needs are welcome.

Cheers

This has been discussed many times in the MacRumors Mac Pro forum section > https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/mac-pro.1/

We're a hackintosh site although we have a Mac Pro forum section (seldom used) > https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/mac-pro.49/

In my 3,1, I'm using a MacVidCards.com mod'd VBIOS and the resister mod on my Sapphire 7850 graphics card which I purchased used on eBay. The bad news on the 3,1 is that, unless the BIOS is modified and the resister mod is made, a PC card runs at PCIe 1.0 speeds.

Whatever card you choose, be sure to check the original manufacturer's web site to see if the card will drive a 4K monitor.

Good Luck...and welcome to the tonymacx86 Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back