Contribute
Register

Bootloop stuck at Apple logo after no changes made to any part of the build--hardware problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I spilled water on the top of my computer a few days ago. I took it apart and it wasn't as bad as it could have been--most of the water seemed to get caught on the top fan. I took out the CPU fan and GPU and let it dry over night with a fan pointed at the machine.

The next day it turned on fine but the BIOS had been reset. After fixing the BIOS settings, the machine turned on like normal. The computer stayed powered on all day while I used it intermittently, it operated flawlessly. I didn't touch any part of the hackintosh build/EFI.

But a day later, I'm stuck in a boot loop at the Apple logo. No amount of flipping the power supply switch is helping. BIOS has not been reset, it is the same working profile as before.

Choosing my backup boot drive, I get the same thing.

I never touched any boot files, and the machine hardware all seems to be operating fine from a general perspective... any ideas what could be going on, or how I should begin troubleshooting? I haven't fancied the idea of going into OC debug mode, as it feels like this should have nothing to do with OC or my setup at all.

Thanks for any tips.

If you didn't do anything else it's possible your system is booting from the backup BIOS which may have been affected. If OC hadn't been touched I would advise to reflash your BIOS with the same working version and see how that goes. Also try to boot without your DGPU to test the system if it works okay.

If you didn't do anything else it's possible your system is booting from the backup BIOS which may have been affected. If OC hadn't been touched I would advise to reflash your BIOS with the same working version and see how that goes. Also try to boot without your DGPU to test the system if it works okay.
This looks to be the case. Thank you. Each time I reboot, I have to reload my saved BIOS profile... and then no problems booting.

Any idea what's going on with the hardware? Mobo CMOS battery problem perhaps?

This looks to be the case. Thank you. Each time I reboot, I have to reload my saved BIOS profile... and then no problems booting.

Any idea what's going on with the hardware? Mobo CMOS battery problem perhaps?
Right. As to the reboot issue, that is possible and a CMOS battery replacement might fix it. It could also be bad RAM (which could be checked with MEMTest). So did you try to reflash the BIOS at the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back