Graphics
EVGA Geforce GTX TITAN X
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've had bluetooth issues ever since I set up my Hackintosh and it's coming to the point where I'm about to give up on using my Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse - in exchange for bog standard wired alternatives. Before I give up I'm going to give this one more **** and I really hope someone can help.

Customac mini deluxe as per the tonymac buyers guide.
Gigabyte Z97N + WIFI
16GB DDR3 Ram
Intel i7 4790K
GTX Titan X
256GB Samsung SSD

From the buyers guide it mentioned that the motherboard has build in bluetooth and wifi - wifi doesn't work but the bluetooth does. I use an ethernet cable so the wifi really doesn't matter. This was really misleading because the bluetooth really doesn't work - well it does to an extent - also as reported by other users. It randomly works when it wants to and this is probably every 1 out of 100 systems boots.

I then purchased the IO Gear USB adapter again as per the buyers guide. This is better than the on board bluetooth as it probably works every 8/10 times. When I load the system it won't work straight away - I have to unplug the dongle - plug it back in - wait a few seconds and then it normally works. It's really not practical to be unplugging the dongle every time I boot the computer and plugging it in and hoping for it to work. I want my family to be able to use this computer without me having to explain to them it's going to be such a hassle to use just the keyboard and mouse on it!

Stork has mentioned that it is an idea to remove the wifi/bluetooth card already on the motherboard and replace with one of the cards that are mentioned in getting continuity working. The only problem with this is there are 2 cards involved from what I remember - which will need a spare PCI slot - which I do not have unfortunately (I do but it is covered by the graphics card. If I'm wrong could someone please clear that up for me.

Options:
1. Remove the internal wifi/bluetooth card from motherboard and see if this is the thing causing issues with the USB dongle.
2. Remove the original card - replace with an Apple one - if there is a work around not having to have a spare PCI slot.
3. Just give up - purchase an Apple Wired USB Keyboard - which I don't mind. Only problem now is the mouse - I love the Magic Mouse is there anything as good as a wired variant?

Thanks in advance really hoping someone can help

Also - could it be the IO Gear dongle? It has some pretty bad amazon reviews. Is there anyone out there that has tried any other ones that work decent with OS X / Hackintosh?

I tried the IoGear. Had problems with it, lagging and stuttering.

I switched to this one and it worked great OOB with no problems ever. The range is pretty limited. I have it plugged into the back of my monitor so it is only about 18 inches away from the mouse and keyboard.

Good Luck.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F85ZPIY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I went through 2 (two) IOGear 4.0's with horrible luck

I switched to the GMYLE and it has worked flawlessly OOB for me.
g-bt-4.jpg
GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter
Amazon US
(CA UK DE ES FR IT)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I've just ordered it on amazon. I'm hoping this fixes things for me - the next thing I'll try if not is to take out the internal card - I wish Gigabyte had an option in the bios to disable it.

Ok - so this is what I've done. I bought the Apple Wired Keyboard (I actually prefer it to the wireless one). With this being wired I can use it for the bios etc and it also has more function keys etc. It has two USB ports on either side so I placed the GMYLE dongle on the right hand side of the keyboard - where my mouse is. Things seem to be running really smooth fingers crossed hopefully now they'll stay this way.

Miles better now - thanks guys. I really think they should remove Gigabyte boards with built in bluetooth/wifi and definitely remove the IO Gear bluetooth dongle from the buyers guide.

Yes, everybody seems to go with the Iogear which is what I did first. Just like a lot of people go with Corsair CX PSUs which are really bad. Sort of a herd mentality. The Gmyle is better by a mile (myle?)!

Oh yeah - I tried the corsair at first, crackling sounds funny burning smells. Swapped it out for the EVGA 750G2 which is an amazing PSU.

OK so been few days using the GMYLE today which has been excellent but today when I booted the system it wouldn't work. So I removed it and suddenly with it removed my magic mouse started working - which means the internal bluetooth was activated. Next step it to totally remove this card - unfortunate thing is I'll have to strip the computer again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back