Contribute
Register

Black Screen with Radeon RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try adding the attached SSDT-RadeonDeInit.aml to your /OC/ACPI folder and a corresponding entry for the SSDT in your config.plist. See if that helps with the black screen issue.
Thank you! It works on a DP screen but my HDMI screen still shows a black screen (but it is recognized by macOS)
Any idea ?

Here is an SSDT for an Asus RX 580 Dual graphics card. Add this to your /CLOVER/ACPI/[patched folder. See if that helps.

I didn't create the SSDT, just happen to have it sitting in my SSDT folder. I don't recall who created the SSDT, so apologies for not giving the creator the credit they deserve.
Thanks for sharing this, Ill try it as soon as I get back to may hackintosh.
You already told me I don't need to set anything in config since I use Clover, except RadeonDeInit which is already checked, so that's that. I already have SSDT-SB-i7.aml in patched folder, do I keep both?

And I you don't mind telling me, do other settings clash whit this? Like choosing Orinoco framebuffer and setting the number of ports, using KextsToPatch to skip board id check or some framebuffer patching? Whatevergreen seems to turn off my monitor in any combination, do I need it with this?

Sorry for blasting you with questions, I just don't want to try this the wrong way and think it doesn't work, when it just might.

@tidann Your experience is common. Apple use DisplayPort connections on all their systems. They do not use HDMI on any. For the HDMI connection to work you need to create a custom framebuffer, not an easy or straightforward tasks for anyone. Alternatively you stick with the DP connection.

@svantevid The two SSDT's are completely separate, one for the Graphics Initialisation issues found with the AMD RX cards, and the other for your Sandy Bridge CPU. I assume you need the SSDT for your CPU's power management, so you should keep it in the folder.

You don't need to select the framebuffer 'Orrinoco' or set any other graphics settings for the RX series of cards, if you are using the RadeonDeInit option with WhateverGreen.kext (WEG). If you look through the Readme for WEG and the Intel HD guide, both linked below. You will see they both recommend all other graphics options are removed from the config.plist, other than when you have a CPU with a compatible IGPU and need to set the Headless framebuffer option.

WhateverGreen.kext, with it's parent kext - Lilu.kext are essential for you to get your graphics working correctly. WEG contains a lot of fixes, which were previously set in the config.plist, but they like a number of older fixer kexts have all been subsumed in to WhateverGreen. Just make sure you are using a recent release of the kexts.

Intel HD FAQ - https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md

WEG Manual(s) - https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/tree/master/Manual

@Edhawk All right, FINALL some progress! Thanks man!!
Both display ports are working now. HDMI ports unfortunately still don't work. When I connect 4K TV to HDMI it gets detected and I can move windows to that screen, but the screen looks like it is off, and graphics get laggy.
Also connecting TV to the same DP to HDMI adapter I use with my monitor gives no signal. I often use both the TV and monitor, so I would like to get at least that running, if I cant fix HDMI's.
Hackintool shows I have 6 ports now (used to be 7), while I actually have 5.
On Mojave I still couldn't get the 4K resolution on TV, but setting it custom to 1080 works fine.

If I could bother you to point me in what direction to go to try either get the TV running out of DP over DP-HDMI adapter, or try to get HDMI's working? Since now I don't have anything graphics related set in config, I don't know where to go to try and fix this.

Thanks again, after probably 2 weeks now I can finally boot from SSD, and have two ports working.

@svantevid Share a copy of your Clover or OpenCore setup, you can redact the Serial Number, Rom, MLB, UUID etc. So I can see what you are using.

Confirm which Make/Model RX 580 you are using. Also confirm which ports you are using and able to see a display, i.e. my PowerColor Red Devil RX 580 has five ports, DP, DP, DP, HDMI & an upper level DVI, as viewed when looking at the rear plate. The Framebuffer I am using shows my RX 580 has just the five connections, when reviewed in IORegistryExplorer.

Rear plate from my Red Devil RX 580, is yours similar, the same?
Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 19.27.30.png
I can get a display working on the two centre DP, the HDMI and the DVI connections. But I cannot get a display from the far left DP connection, in macOS when using two displays. Works fine in Windows! This is probably a limitation from the AMD Framebuffer. But as I only have the two displays connected I can work with the two DP connections.

We should be able to get yours working the same, but it all depends on which RX 580 card you are using. The playing fields between RX 500 Series cards are not level. Some cards work better than others with the Apple drivers.

@Edhawk Ok, I followed you instructions and at least some things are a bit clearer.
I'm using ASUS Dual series Radeon RX 580 8GB
DUAL-RX580-O4G_IO_500.png

I'm connecting via far right DP now, viewed on this picture. I checked things out with IORegistryExplorer as you suggested, plugging and unplugging all ports.
What I found is that
1. (left) HDMI port reacts to FB1 and FB2
2. HDMI is FB3
1. (inner) DP is FB0
2. (far right) DP is FB1 (like 1. HDMI)
DVI is than probably FB4.

I tried several SMBIOS setups, iMacs usually give me these two working ports, Mac pro can't boot, and on iMac pro only one DP works.

Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 14.06.51.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
The IOReg readings were they taken while the SSDT-RX580-Asus Dual.aml table was in your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder? As this might skew the results you would get when the system boots without the SSDT being present.

Can you provide a copy of your ACPI tables, either extracted via Clover Boot Screen and pressing the F4 key, or using Hackintool App, Utilities tab 'Dump ACPI' icon.

I want to see if your system has a few common devices, which may need disabling or tweaking to get your system working better with macOS Catalina.

You shouldn't be using the NullCPUPowerMangement.kext when you have an SSDT for Power Management.

You should have a copy of VirtualSMC.efi in your /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI &/or BIOS folder as you are using VirtualSMC.kext. I am assuming you have one of the newer bois's for you motherboard that enables UEFI functions.

I am also assuming you have disabled the IGPU in your bios, as it is not supported in Catalina.

IF that is the case then you might want to have a play with the attached OpenCore EFI Folder I have created for your Sandy Bridge system.

Copy the EFI Folder to the EFI Partition on a spare USB, can be any size and no need to install macOS to the drive.

Boot from the USB instead of your normal macOS drive and see what difference this makes.

I have used the SMBIOS for a Mac Pro 6.1, as that is the recommendation for Sandy Bridge systems using OpenCore and running anything newer than Mojave.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 74
The IOReg readings were taken with that SSDT, didn't know that will mess up the readings. I can boot from my install USB that is without that SSDT and show you what I got if that helps.

Ill remove NullCPUPowerMangement.kext in that case.

I do have VirtualSMC.efi in Drivers/BIOS, I copied it to UEFI as well now.
Looks like my motherboard is rev1, and I think it does not support UEFI (I guess I don't need VirtualSMC.efi in UEFI than).
I suppose that the EFI you created, for which I am grateful, unfortunately won't work in that case.
I didn't disable IGPU, will do if it helps.
Not sure if there is a difference with OpenCore, but Mac Pro 6.1, and others Pro's I believe, don't boot for me (crossed circle).
Since you suggested trying that EFI from USB, I did mention that booting from my install USB I have both HDMI's working, but copying that EFI to SSD EFI I get black screen, is that normal?

Attachments

• ACAPI.zip
    34 KB · Views: 59
Yes to disabling the IGPU, if you are running Mojave or newer. The SB IGPU will just cause issues with the newer versions of macOS as they don't support it. This is why the Mac Pro 6,1 SMBIOS is recommended for anything newer than Mojave, it doesn't use an IGPU.

The Black screen can happen, it just means something was changed that didn't need to be. I'm not sure at this point what that could be.

Have you had a look at the patched DSDT's that are available for your Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 motherboard in the Downloads section on this site?

There are patched DSDT's for the following bios versions:

Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 22.17.13.png
Z68AP-D3 motherboard list of patched DSDT's.

Which Bios are you using, is it on the list? Adding a patched DSDT to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder may resolve some of your issues. Even ones you don't know about!

All right, I’ll try what you suggested as soon as I get back to my hackintosh.
These are some newbie mistakes I suppose. I remember some years ago I had patched DSDT, now I don’t.
My bios version is F4, so I’ll install it for sure.
Funny how now on Catalina I got two DPs working but not hdmi, while on my Mojave disk hdmi’s work bud not DP’s.

Anyway just wanted to thank you for sticking with me and giving me all these solutions to try and pointing out some obvious things like this patched DSDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back