Contribute
Register

Black screen with iMac 14,2 system definition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have exactly the same problem after the machine went in sleepmode once... have you found any solution?

I don't even have a guest account so I even can't try this

@planet360 you can test what @VoiletDragon suggested. I am away from home just now so can't test.

At the Clover boot screen use arrow keys to select Options and under Graphics deselect Inject nVidia if it is selected.

I have doubts about whether this will resolve as I don't think my guest account would work correctly if the issue is only config.plist. However I hope my doubts are wrong.

Ah I've already tried that. I haven't checked anything it the graphic injection menu but it's still not working :(

The strange thing is even the screen saver is showing and with the combination cmd+alt+shift+q I get back to the log in screen.

And I don't think there is something changed in my BIOS settings for the GPU cause I've made a BIOS "Profile" with the changes for hackintosh which I've loaded again

Last edited:
Sounds exactly the same. Are you also on 10.12.2? If you find a solution please post back here. I will be home around 4th January and will do some problem resolution then.

I suspect there must be some user specific graphics cache somewhere or a preference plist which holds the graphics info for each profile. I have posted in the Infinite Loop sub-forum for Mac OS to see if someone can point me to it.

I will post back here with any progress.

Would be interesting to hear if anyone else is experiencing this - I see the thread has had quite a few hits. If you are reading this thread because you have this issue, please let us know.

@planet360 you can test what @VoiletDragon suggested. I am away from home just now so can't test.

At the Clover boot screen use arrow keys to select Options and under Graphics deselect Inject nVidia if it is selected.

I have doubts about whether this will resolve as I don't think my guest account would work correctly if the issue is only config.plist. However I hope my doubts are wrong.

Ah I've already tried that. I haven't checked anything it the graphic injection menu but it's still not working :(

The strange thing is even the screen saver is showing and with the combination cmd+alt+shift+q I get back to the log in screen.

And I don't think there is something changed in my BIOS settings for the GPU cause I've made a BIOS "Profile" with the changes for hackintosh which I've loaded again

Both needs to be removed from config. (inject intel, nvidia).

@VoiletDragon thank you for the extra info. I believe @planet360 has neither option checked in his config. The same was certainly true in my case (I do need to check that is still the case when I return home).

I did check on another hack where I am just now and I cannot reproduce the same symptoms by enabling intel and nVidia in config. What I get is a completely black screen with no mouse pointer.

As mentioned earlier I have asked in the MAC OS sub forum about user specific caches. Whilst @planet360 only has the one user profile I also have the guest profile enabled. If when I reach the login screen I go into the guest account it works perfectly. This suggests the issue is not system wide but is user specific.

I referred to my friend Google and found that some user specific display info is stored in the following location. /Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.XXXXX.plist”.

I will try deleting this file on my return home to see if it has any effect.

Incidentally a similar system wide file is found at /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist”.

As my issue is not system wide but specific to my user profile I will try deleting the one in my user profile.

@the_gael Yes, also on 10.12.2. I think we are ecaxtly in the same boat unfortunately. For me the bad thing is though that I don't have a guest profile to change things. I'm limited to the clover bootloader options as for now...

@VoiletDragon Thanks for the suggestion but like I said before I haven't injected anything.

@the_gael Yes, also on 10.12.2. I think we are ecaxtly in the same boat unfortunately. For me the bad thing is though that I don't have a guest profile to change things. I'm limited to the clover bootloader options as for now...

@VoiletDragon Thanks for the suggestion but like I said before I haven't injected anything.

You shouldn't be getting black screen with iMac 14,2 unless you have a ATI card of course. Attach config, plist.

I should caution here that my thread title may be a "red herring" I used it simply to differentiate from the already identified issues. I will be home in a couple of days and will do some testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back