Contribute
Register

BIOS corrupt !! Recovers !! Freeze on Apple Logo !! Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA B75M-D3H
CPU
Intel core i7-4770k
Graphics
Zotac Nvidia GTX 760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I've been successfully running hackintosh on my rig GA B75M-D3H.
It worked like a breeze with complete compatibility, including App Store updates and Xcode and all.

Just a day before, i ran into a peculiar problem.
In the morning when i fired up the rig, it'd start and then restart even before the gigabyte splash would show up. Then after 2-3 restarts it fired up fine.
The issue repeated the next morning with 10-11 restarts.
Only this time i got the message saying, "BIOS is corrupt. Recovering BIOS".

Thankfully, as i've read recently, the Dual BIOS feature kicked in and recovered the BIOS.
Following the same, i put in the same BIOS settings, in hope to boot the system.

The system did try to boot, but stuck on the apple logo (not the multi beast one).
The loading image kept rotating but nothing happened.
After a while a 'NO ACCESS' icon showed up on the screen, atop the Apple loader.

I've tried to restart multiple times, but its the same result every time.

I also booted the system with a Linux Live USB, just to ensure if the HD was fine.
Thankfully, the disk seems in good shape with all the data in there.

As of now, i don't know what to do.
I don't know what caused to corrupt the BIOS.

The system has just frozen up on me.
I've even tried and boot with a '-x' flag, still nothing.

Can someone help me on this???

Please.

This may be a hardware problem. A failing power supply or hard drive can cause this, more often power supply.
It is less likely but not impossible that the motherboard has failed.
If you have a dual boot setup and Windows will not get past the splash screen I would bet on the power supply (if the power supply does not signal "good power" booting will usually stop there, if it gets that far).
I hope you have a Time Machine or other back-up.
If you do not have another power supply to swap in to see if that is the problem any computer repair service should be able to test the power supply to see if that is the problem.
If it is the power supply get a high quality name brand unit: you get what you pay for generally. Most people do not require more than 650 watts. There are online services that will let you input your components and recommend a power supply rating.

I would have to agree with bmoag on this one. Reason is I had the exact same intermittent issue with booting up the system. It was indeed the PSU. Those Symptoms are definitely the start of a failure. My PSU was playing silly buggers for a few weeks up until Tuesday when it passed away. Luckily I had a spare to test and within the warranty on its way with an RMA. Most manufacturers duration of warranty is 24 months. So check your receipt. You can also get a tester to check the PSU or take it to a local shop.

As for the no entry sign make sure that your BIOS is set to AHCI, I've seen this before when the back up BIOS has kicked in and its reset it.

i encountered the issue a week ago, but I have been able to fix the issue and now all is functioning as it should. Troubleshoot it this way, yank out all the cards including the video, hookup your monitor to onboard connection. Pull out the memory just leave in 4gb, fire the system up using the USB bootup make sure u have the USB drive plugged in which u should have from when u installed the OS X. Now if u r no longer getting the BIOS issue then you know the issue is not caused by BIOS. Now if you encounter the issue again then start switching the memory modules one at a time to make sure you memory module(s) hasn't gong bad. Try this and get back to us. Also if you can boot using -v (verbose mode) do that and see where the hick up is? By any chance, have your taller or bought a new monitor?

hey there.. i had to reinstall everything from scratch. Learnt a lesson and did a partition for running the OS and data separately. Things had been fine until today and the BIOS got corrupt again.

Yes, the BIOS got corrupt again. After about 5 months, it happened to do it again. The dual BIOS came in handy though, to recover the BIOS setup. Everything is back all over again. The boot loads up until halfway and then it just stays there.

I tried booting up with the -v flag. It showed everything as successfully installed until the successful SMC installation and then it just stayed there. I did a hard reset then.

Also tried doing the -x safe boot mode. But the issue remained persistent. It loaded up until halfway and then nothing for the next half an hour.

I have no clue as to what can be causing this. The issues i can figure out could be ::

1. Bad power (The service guy says that the PSU is working fine. So can't be betting on this one)

2. Some sort of virus (Didn't know viruses could corrupt BIOS. Read online on eHow, that they can!! This should be crude.)

3. Bad RAM (Don't know how to check for that??)
4. Taller / Dual Monitor. I do run a dual monitor setup, but how can that possibly corrupt the BIOS?!

5. Can anybody else pool in with, what could be the whole deal??

I seemingly have been getting a feeling that i should stop hackintoshing and resort to Windows.
Could an Apple security update do this??

Would love if anyone could help me on this. I have too much to loose as of now.
Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

@colinzeal how should i check that, the EvOre kext.

I did try this. I set up to boot in AHCI. I believe it had gone off earlier.
Now i can boot in Safe Mode only.

I get this weird transition lines like you get in a keynote presentation.
Can you please help me on this??

When you do a clean install and use Multibeast for the first time, one of the kexts to install from it should be EvOreboot.kext. It's to stop a CMOS reset.

When I had problems configuring this board to sleep, I encountered a corrupt BIOS when the system would try to wake from sleep.

Thanks @colinzeal and @wildwillow.
I seem to be back on track now.
The BIOS seemed to have reset the settings.

I did find out out EvoReboot and installed it while in Safe Mode.
Then i also changed to AHCI and also changed the other settings on the BIOS from my previous known setup.
And now i seem to be back on track.

I can't thank you enough. Thanks a ton guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back