Contribute
Register

Big Sur vs Monterey (Music Production)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH Mobo with Thunderbolt 3
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K Processor (4 GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 8 MB cache, LGA1151 Socket Box)
Graphics
Sapphire Pulse Radeon Rx 570 4gb Gddr5 Graphics Card
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I just wanted to gauge some opinions on if it's worth going for a fresh install of Big Sur vs Monterey?

I'm a music producer and the plan is to create the most compatible setup for working flawlessly with audio programs. I am currently running High Seira which is working perfectly so I haven't needed to change anything, but I'm now being forced to upgrade the OS due to specific programs requiring a newer OS to run the latest versions.
  • MB: Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH Mobo with Thunderbolt 3
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K Processor
  • GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon Rx 570 4gb Gddr5 Graphics Card
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 64 GB Kit DDR4
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 860 Evo SSD
I'm considering Big Sur due to it being out for quite some time and would likely be the most stable and compatible with my current hardware.

Truly value any thoughts or suggestions you might have!

Thanks,
Dale

I'm considering Big Sur due to it being out for quite some time and would likely be the most stable and compatible with my current hardware.
That's probably the best way to go. You can always upgrade to Monterey later on if needed. Going back to Big Sur from Monterey is rather difficult to do. Easier to do that on a hackintosh than on a Mac but Big Sur still makes the most sense right now.

Thanks so much for the reply mate. Just to double check, all the hardware I currently have is 100% compatible with big sur? From all my research everything does seem to work but no harm in double checking.

Perfect, thanks again :)
Remember to make a bootable backup of HS first or you can simply clean install Big Sur to a new SSD and leave the HS drive as is.

Isn't Mojave good enough? 32-bit stuff will still work, for example.

For me, the upgrade to Big Sur was terrible, there's a third party driver issue in the OS that is a major PITA.

For me, the upgrade to Big Sur was terrible, there's a third party driver issue in the OS that is a major PITA.
Good points. This is why I said to always have a bootable HS backup before trying out a newer OS version like Big Sur. Then it's easy to go back if Big Sur doesn't work out for the software and plugins that Dale will be using.

I do agree and I don't really want to upgrade but I'm having to sort this out as one of the DAW's I need to use (Logic X) doesn't work on older operating systems with the recent updates. Clients are now sending me projects that I can't open due to running an older version of Logic

I do agree and I don't really want to upgrade but I'm having to sort this out as one of the DAW's I need to use (Logic X) doesn't work on older operating systems
Does the Logic X version you need work on Catalina ? If it does you could install that and keep using Clover if you haven't upgraded the bootloader to OC yet. I would highly recommend using OpenCore with Big Sur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back