i7-6700HQ
Graphics
HD 530 + GTX 960M, 3840x2160
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Everyone,
Amazing, site, forum and knowledge base. Finally getting around to my first Hackintosh build.

Using OpenCore Config version: 2.70.0.0
OC_Gen-X version: 3.3.2

Computer: Asus ZenBook Pro UX501VW-XS74T i7 6700HQ, 2.60 GHz quadcore
512GB PCIe G3x4 SSD storage ( I think Samsung)

System Type: Skylake
Closest SMBIOS System Model - MacBookPro9,2

I believe I created the EFI file correctly and did remember to add SSDT-ECUSBX and SSDT-PLUG files

BIOS info:
Vendor: American Megatrends
Updated the BIOS to Version 307 (latest/greatest and last). Downloaded from Asus website
Settings:
VT-d - Disabled
Changed Boot Priorities Boot Option 1 to Samsung USB
Changed Windows Boot Manager to Option B, even went so far as to Disable - haven't deleted it yet.

Security:
Secure Boot menu - Disabled

Under Boot Override
Have tried both
Launching from the USB and Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device.

When I try and boot off the USB I get the following message (see below & attached).
OpenCore Boot Meny (REL-083-2022-08-01)
>1. Windows
2. Install macOS Big Sur (external)

|Restart| |Shutdown|

If I try and select #2, I get thrown in loop and just keep coming back to the menu above.
Now I did assume the macOS installer would just recognize the Windows partition and I'd get the option to delete it during the install. I have no reason to keep the Windows OS. But I have a feeling the issue is a little more complex than that.

I've taken a look at the install guides and some of the other posts re: Big Sur laptop install. There also only seems to be only a couple of posts for my model Asus on this site.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
Hi Everyone,
Amazing, site, forum and knowledge base. Finally getting around to my first Hackintosh build.

I believe I created the EFI file correctly and did remember to add SSDT-ECUSBX and SSDT-PLUG files

BIOS info:
Updated the BIOS to Version 307 (latest/greatest and last). Downloaded from Asus website
Settings:
VT-d - Disabled
Changed Windows Boot Manager to Option B, even went so far as to Disable - haven't deleted it yet.

Security:

Under Boot Override
Have tried both

When I try and boot off the USB I get the following message (see below & attached).
>1. Windows

|Restart| |Shutdown|

If I try and select #2, I get thrown in loop and just keep coming back to the menu above.
Now I did assume the macOS installer would just recognize the Windows partition and I'd get the option to delete it during the install. I have no reason to keep the Windows OS. But I have a feeling the issue is a little more complex than that.

I've taken a look at the install guides and some of the other posts re: Big Sur laptop install. There also only seems to be only a couple of posts for my model Asus on this site.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there.

First thing I'd try if possible, is to choose the USB installer from the Asus BIOS boot menu rather than OC.

:)

Hi Everyone,

BIOS info:
Settings:
VT-d - Disabled

Security:

Under Boot Override
Have tried both

>1. Windows

|Restart| |Shutdown|

Thanks in advance.
please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

(Skylake CPU does not have intel hd4000)

Link to laptop guide:

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

(Skylake CPU does not have intel hd4000)

Link to laptop guide:
Thanks - it was late when I was setting up the profile. Thanks for the guides. I'll try the Catalina route first and see what happens. It's an added step but hey if it works.

Thanks - it was late when I was setting up the profile. Thanks for the guides. I'll try the Catalina route first and see what happens. It's an added step but hey if it works.
Catalina is a good place to start, as you can then setup your USB Ports correctly following the guide

then you can (if you would like) update your OpenCore versions and kexts and then update to Big Sur

Catalina is a good place to start, as you can then setup your USB Ports correctly following the guide

then you can (if you would like) update your OpenCore versions and kexts and then update to Big Sur
I tried the Catalina install as per the guide using UniBeast and I ran into the same problem as others of UniBeast not recognizing the USB drive (same issue with multiple drives). Was about try Kext Wizard to install - IOATAFamily.Kext to the Extensions directory. However, it's already there.

On my MacBook the directory is /system/Library/Extensions vs. extra/Extensions mentioned in an earlier post. There is also a /Library/Extensions directory however that directory only has a few .Kext files in it.

On a whim, I decided to try the archived version 3.0.1 but that ran into it's own set of issues.

I tried the Catalina install as per the guide using UniBeast and I ran into the same problem as others of UniBeast not recognizing the USB drive (same issue with multiple drives). Was about try Kext Wizard to install - IOATAFamily.Kext to the Extensions directory. However, it's already there.

On my MacBook the directory is /system/Library/Extensions vs. extra/Extensions mentioned in an earlier post. There is also a /Library/Extensions directory however that directory only has a few .Kext files in it.

On a whim, I decided to try the archived version 3.0.1 but that ran into it's own set of issues.
my guide does not use unibeast

Back