Contribute
Register

Big Sur Install on Upgraded Hardware "Mac OS X Is Not Supported On This Platform"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490M
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Hey guys I had bought some new hardware to upgrade my current Hackintosh. I ended up going with the following items:

New Items

Gigabyte Z490M

i9 10850K

Existing Items

GPU:
Sapphire RX580

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 700

Wifi: Fenvi T919

I followed this guide to build my new EFI Folder and Config.plist but when I boot up using the EFI on the USB Installer for Big Sur I get the message that my platform isn't supported for this OS. I tried putting in the boot arg for no_compat_check, but still having this issue.

Any thoughts on why? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 80
Hey guys I had bought some new hardware to upgrade my current Hackintosh. I ended up going with the following items:

New Items

Gigabyte Z490M

i9 10850K

Existing Items

GPU:
Sapphire RX580

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 700

Wifi: Fenvi T919

I followed this guide to build my new EFI Folder and Config.plist but when I boot up using the EFI on the USB Installer for Big Sur I get the message that my platform isn't supported for this OS. I tried putting in the boot arg for no_compat_check, but still having this issue.

Any thoughts on why? Any help would be appreciated.
Try to use iMac20,1 for your build and make sure it is written as

-no_compat_check

with a - in front of the boot-arg.
Also add in agdpmod=pikera if you are using the RX580.

Also add in agdpmod=pikera if you are using the RX580.
Are you sure the RX 580 requires agdpmod=pikera?

Am I mistaken in believing that the RX 5000 series cards need this boot argument but not the RX 580?

Are you sure the RX 580 requires agdpmod=pikera?

Am I mistaken in believing that the RX 5000 series cards need this boot argument but not the RX 580?
Actually I believe they all do (from my experience anyways). Without it all kind of glitches appear.

Actually I believe they all do (from my experience anyways). Without it all kind of glitches appear.

I use the RX 580 myself on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina 10.15.7 without any kind of graphics glitches and without that boot argument.

I don't run Big Sur or Monterey though so I have no idea if the boot argument is needed for the RX 580 in Big Sur or Monterey.

I use the RX 580 myself on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina 10.15.7 without any kind of graphics glitches and without that boot argument.

I don't run Big Sur or Monterey though so I have no idea if the boot argument is needed for the RX 580 in Big Sur or Monterey.
I believe you’re right, it does seem to affect Big Sur and Monterey.

I believe you’re right, it does seem to affect Big Sur and Monterey.

Should I remove the argument from my plist?. I also have a RX580 installed on a B550 motherboard, When I benched in Windows GB5 OpenGL was 51000, GB5 OpenGL bench in Monty was 31000. Not that I'm gaming in Monty and finder looks super smooth at 144Mhz, but I don't think I'm getting the best from it, could this be why?.

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 9.58.40 AM.png

Last edited:
Should I remove the argument from my plist?. I also have a RX580 installed on a B550 motherboard, When I benched in Windows GB5 OpenGL was 51000, GB5 OpenCL bench in Monty was 31000. Not that I'm gaming in Monty and finder looks super smooth at 144Mhz, but I don't think I'm getting the best from it, could this be why?.

View attachment 534508
Yeah go for it - remove it and see if it does better.

Yeah go for it - remove it and see if it does better.
Thanks, I'm away from Snow Flake until tomorrow, I'll report back with a bench and see if there's some improvement.

It's not needed for either Big Sur or Monterey with a RX580, running just fine without the argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back