Contribute
Register

Big Bertha's Big Brother:Asus Z10PE-D8 WS Dual Xeon Broadwell v4 CPU's 64GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is that my original post with iMac14,2 was/is for me at present the most stable. Adaptations such as no HT and EIST have improved things, and setting legacy too all but boot seems to work best from what I can gather from other posters here. Apples EFI handling has definitely changed so it might be worth trying it as full legacy with CSM

Martin

Thanks Martin... I see immediately that I have effed with chosing the 6,1 Mac Pro. I need to change this. Thanks for all your input. I'm looking at multiple threads with different advice and it can lead to conflicting solutions that work for neither solution provider's settings. And that is my concern, that I dont FRANkenStein the setup and spend unnamed hours getting it straight, when I would rather be USING the computer.

Thanks Martin... I see immediately that I have effed with chosing the 6,1 Mac Pro. I need to change this. Thanks for all your input. I'm looking at multiple threads with different advice and it can lead to conflicting solutions that work for neither solution provider's settings. And that is my concern, that I dont FRANkenStein the setup and spend unnamed hours getting it straight, when I would rather be USING the computer.
You haven't really effed things up with the MP6,1 but it is a strange beast for sure. It's the only Mac that uses IvyBridge CPU's and the IvyBridge KernelPM was only experimented with by Apple in El-Cap and it worked a treat for Xeon E5v2 but alas it's all been dropped now for those CPU's. It does however make it a difficult SMBios to play with now when using E5v4 CPU's.

The iMac14,2 is (as far as I am aware) the new 'default' used for/by TMx86 because the MP3,1 has now been dropped by Apple. Why this SMBios works with these boards and CPU's is beyond my limited knowledge since it doesn't have dual CPU's, has only 2 memory slots and comes with an ATi graphics adapter yet it supports all the things that should prevent it working and supports Nvidia discreet graphics cards off the bat ... Go figure is all I can say to that :)

Martin

The iMac14,2 is (as far as I am aware) the new 'default' used for/by TMx86 because the MP3,1 has now been dropped by Apple. Why this SMBios works with these boards and CPU's is beyond my limited knowledge since it doesn't have dual CPU's, has only 2 memory slots and comes with an ATi graphics adapter yet it supports all the things that should prevent it working and supports Nvidia discreet graphics cards off the bat ... Go figure is all I can say to that :)
We tested a bunch of System Definitions on a bunch of systems before settling on the iMac14,2. We, too, were surprised how well it worked including Power Management (on most systems). So, we recommend using the iMac14,2 SysDef to install and get Sierra working, then "experiment" with other SysDef. All my builds start out using iMac14,2, and, quite frankly, I'm still using the iMac14,2 on them. The older ones now use iMac13,2 (graphics card) or MacMini5,1 (on-board graphics) or similar.

You haven't really effed things up with the MP6,1 but it is a strange beast for sure. It's the only Mac that uses IvyBridge CPU's and the IvyBridge KernelPM was only experimented with by Apple in El-Cap and it worked a treat for Xeon E5v2 but alas it's all been dropped now for those CPU's. It does however make it a difficult SMBios to play with now when using E5v4 CPU's.

Martin

Well we have OS Houston.
Still need to fix the wifi (TPLink Archer T6e AC1300)/BT
and nVidia Driver. Again, many thanks for the info provided here!

Z10PE-D16 ws
480Gb SSD (500Gb M2 drive to be added as well)
32Gb, nV 980ti
Both cpus showing up. Two E5-2640 v4 10 Core 2.4GHz retail cpus.

Bill

The TP-Link might give problems Bill, the AC900 is the one that would have been easier. But see how it bats before deciding :)
10.12.3 update will knock out the Nvidia web drivers so to fix that if you get to that stage do the following from Clover Boot Screen
  • Set NV_Disable=1 (forces vesa mode)
  • Untick Use Web Drivers
  • Boot osMac
  • Download and install latest Web Drivers for Nvidia
  • Reboot and make sure Use Web Drivers is ticked again in Clover before launching osMac
Congratulations for also being the first post I have read on having the D16 WS variant up n running on OS X. The NVMe drive is relatively simple with Rehabman's excellent branch.

All the best Bill

Martin

wifi is running fine.
graphics seem fine as well.

still occasional self-reboot at PCI config (60-70% it gets by this ok) I'd like to know why.
I've used -f to make sure Im dealing with a fresh load from any prior changes.

Just running the box and seems to come out of sleep fine. I'd like to finish up the audio, im reading everything before I do anything, then let the box run non stop a few days with just basics, mail web.

Then see how stable Houdini 16 is as well as the long awaited transfer of CS6 to the box. No rush though. I dont want to install a bunch of stuff only to have to redo (past lessons).

wifi is running fine.

still occasional self-reboot at PCI config (60-70% it gets by this ok) I'd like to know why.

Just running the box and seems to come out of sleep fine. I'd like to finish up the audio, im reading everything before I do anything, then let the box run non stop a few days with just basics, mail web.

Then see how stable Houdini 16 is as well as the long awaited transfer of CS6 to the box. No rush though. I dont want to install a bunch of stuff only to have to redo (past lessons).

I know osMac here tries to use IPV6 with my Nic dunno if your reboot is associated with that and the skimpy verbose output makes it harder to track things down. The new system logging don't help much either.

Houdini should perform well on the CPU's since they have large cache's. I have some popping on HDMI audio with VooDoo but I still have never succeeded with onboard audio with any of my builds other than my very first build :/ CS6 should carry over easy enough, but it's good to see you taking your time and not diving in :)

Martin

wifi is running fine.

Thanks to you and people like Mister Stork, and HELL, Toleda!!! Couldn't have done it without the work you and slice and others put into these nice toolsets/workarounds.

Audio is good now. thanks Toleda and his guide.
The short list, gets shorter.

Houdini ran very well, thanks. It is very processor and graphic card centric. Seems that they have struck the balance of use from both the CPU and the GFX, whereas I believe Keyshot is strictly CPU. THAT will be pretty to see it rendering.

I just wanna make sure we are good.
I've already dealt with losing legit licenses on effed up HD's that required reinstalls.
So far Zbrush and Keyshot have been understanding. Adobe is a dead letter box. Still, at least I have CS6 on mac, and just PS creative cloud on Win as I was trying out a neat material editor, Quixel. It functions inside PS but allows for all sorts of 3D related map development for scenes, objects etc.

I noticed in sleep, that the box will wake up, but leave the monitor off... Half Asleep? Apnea?
Monitor wakes when you space bar. No signal going to monitor until then.

Facetime is good to go, slapped a cheap usb camera/mic, it sees it and facetime is happy. Audio choice shows up in device list in Sys Pref pane. Still have to test a call.

Oh and nVidia Control Panel "cannot load", the driver is there and the card functions, but after a fresh install, it's ok until the next boot. Either I have a setting off (most likely) or something is stanky down south.

I will eventually add all the finished files on my thread which is like 2 posts, HAA. Back when I started this a while ago.

Bill

Oh and nVidia Control Panel "cannot load", the driver is there and the card functions, but after a fresh install, it's ok until the next boot. Either I have a setting off (most likely) or something is stanky down south.
I had this issue too. If you are using Clover Configurator don't use its use Nvidia web drivers. Turn it off, reboot and make sure it's not set on the Clover Options screen. Use Clovers Graphics option list and tick in there to use the web drivers. It will retain whether they are used or not across reboots. Make sure they are all off, reboot with nv_disable=1 just typed in the boot arguments (it don't need to be a permanent change), reinstall web drivers, reboot, go to Clover Options from the clover boot screen, then tick to use web drivers in the graphics screen, continue the boot osMac after making the changes and it should be fixed.
Houdini ran very well, thanks. It is very processor and graphic card centric. Seems that they have struck the balance of use from both the CPU and the GFX, whereas I believe Keyshot is strictly CPU. THAT will be pretty to see it rendering.
KeyShot does use GPU but not for rendering, it's something to do with 3D images and OpenGL stuff can't remember exactly what :/
I've already dealt with losing legit licenses on effed up HD's that required reinstalls.
So far Zbrush and Keyshot have been understanding. Adobe is a dead letter box. Still, at least I have CS6 on mac, and just PS creative cloud on Win as I was trying out a neat material editor, Quixel. It functions inside PS but allows for all sorts of 3D related map development for scenes, objects etc
If they give you a .lic file you should be able to copy it to a safe location just incase. I have started doing that with my KS licence so I don't have to bother them every time I screw things up and having to re-install without disabling the licence first.
I noticed in sleep, that the box will wake up, but leave the monitor off... Half Asleep? Apnea?
Monitor wakes when you space bar. No signal going to monitor until then.
Yeah, mouse movement don't wake my Hack either. Clicking the mouse works or as you already mention pressing a key will get my logon screen back up.

Martin

I had this issue too. If you are using Clover Configurator don't use its use Nvidia web drivers. Turn it off, reboot and make sure it's not set on the Clover Options screen. Use Clovers Graphics option list and tick in there to use the web drivers. It will retain whether they are used or not across reboots. Make sure they are all off, reboot with nv_disable=1 just typed in the boot arguments (it don't need to be a permanent change), reinstall web drivers, reboot, go to Clover Options from the clover boot screen, then tick to use web drivers in the graphics screen, continue the boot osMac after making the changes and it should be fixed.

KeyShot does use GPU but not for rendering, it's something to do with 3D images and OpenGL stuff can't remember exactly what :/

If they give you a .lic file you should be able to copy it to a safe location just incase. I have started doing that with my KS licence so I don't have to bother them every time I screw things up and having to re-install without disabling the licence first.

Yeah, mouse movement don't wake my Hack either. Clicking the mouse works or as you already mention pressing a key will get my logon screen back up.

Martin

It's not the standard license hassle, it's when you install and activate licenses, THEN suffer a re-install before "deactivating" a license. That leads to many emails to get it fixed. I think it is due to the nature of the license being tied to the hardware and/or the system ID #. Once you brick a license, you have to have Zbrush unbrick it off their servers and issue a reset. In many respects, I feel safer with a hardware dongle. One dongle to rule them all. One dongle to bind them...And a donkey scene to make it all so wrong.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back