Contribute
Register

Big Bertha's Big Brother:Asus Z10PE-D8 WS Dual Xeon Broadwell v4 CPU's 64GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys. I was wondering why performance is not so good in macOS, while in windows it was ok. Then I revealed that after BIOS adjustments for running macOS I have same performance drop in windows. So I think the reason in performance drop is Native power management option activation in BIOS. For now I'm using win10 because of 80 threads for 3D rendering.

I see that someone got benefit from my post but didn't like my comment, thanks for nothing anyway

Hi JandyPants, have you tried to simply just turn off EIST and HyperThreading - Turning off HT would drop you back to 44 threads but at a greater speed. Also the post #224 with the Intel Info Update does list CPU's that don't actually support HT properly and my CPU's are on that list. It never stopped me installing though, but might be what's causing your woes.

Martin
Thanks man. Really do appreciate the help and again to all that contribute around here ....

Yeah tried the eist and hyper thread on/off and neither helps in whatever combo for the two CPUs together .

So Man I'm stumped here.....

On a side note . And pre apologies for the long post and digression.....

Each CPU in my build was $1400 us off eBay. And the 12gb titan $700. Total system cost is about $5k. Although used it is potentially 4x more powerful than a fully maxed current Mac Pro6,1. For half the price....! Even now currently it performs twice as fast with 1 CPU for $3.5k (about a third the Cost of a real 6,1 mac)
Imagine what this could do for the community if this build could be golden
Still if Apple would only put out a system of this power at their current $10k cost I would buy it in a heartbeat. But sadly us pro users have been ignored by the success of the iPhone. And there has been nothing . A pity since it was their pro users that got them to their success now. Wish they could see that. Seems as though they truly lost their vision.
In comparison another tech company ,Tesla , who employs about 99% less the workforce of Apple has updated both my vehicles 5 times in the last month -and for free by the way. The last one only allows for my model X hardware 2 equipped vehicle to parallel park AND locally road drive.
Autonomously.
And just also found out too that I can replace the nvdia super CPUs in there when/if the time comes. Mind you my other 4 year old aging p85+ 1st gen model S did not get the update cuz it doesn't have the hardware . It only got its o.s updated so only my range and safety and convenience features increased.

Oh but I did support Apple recently by updating my iPhone from 6 to a 7. Yeah I lost my headphone jack / but I can get a bit of water on it now and the camera is not that much worse. And also bought by a new current MacBook Pro for my sons college. Spent about the same 2k as his older one. Yeah lost all the connectivity- but who cares right? He has two USB c ports (yeah in total I guess - and who cares if one of those two is for power ) but I maxed the ram out to a non upgradeable 8gb! And, it's also wee bit faster than his 10 year old ssd core duo MacBook Pro!

Sadly this is actually all true. No joke.
Come on Apple...

Told u I digressed,

But hey we all get to hang out here and build the machine apple never gave us for purely personal use and hobby reasons. The cool thing is that this is actually fun and gratifying at least. And that is also no joke

I see that someone got benefit from my post but didn't like my comment, thanks for nothing anyway
Ooops forgot to like the comment, but that outburst right there should be enough to cancel it you sensitive being :p
I didn't actually benefit from the post other than to confirm that the CPU's don't support HT. We had already discovered that a few posts back so try not to take it personally.

Martin

Thanks man. Really do appreciate the help and again to all that contribute around here ....

Yeah tried the eist and hyper thread on/off and neither helps in whatever combo for the two CPUs together .

So Man I'm stumped here.....

On a side note . And pre apologies for the long post and digression.....

Each CPU in my build was $1400 us off eBay. And the 12gb titan $700. Total system cost is about $5k. Although used it is potentially 4x more powerful than a fully maxed current Mac Pro6,1. For half the price....! Even now currently it performs twice as fast with 1 CPU for $3.5k (about a third the Cost of a real 6,1 mac)
Imagine what this could do for the community if this build could be golden
Still if Apple would only put out a system of this power at their current $10k cost I would buy it in a heartbeat. But sadly us pro users have been ignored by the success of the iPhone. And there has been nothing . A pity since it was their pro users that got them to their success now. Wish they could see that. Seems as though they truly lost their vision.
In comparison another tech company ,Tesla , who employs about 99% less the workforce of Apple has updated both my vehicles 5 times in the last month -and for free by the way. The last one only allows for my model X hardware 2 equipped vehicle to parallel park AND locally road drive.
Autonomously.
And just also found out too that I can replace the nvdia super CPUs in there when/if the time comes. Mind you my other 4 year old aging p85+ 1st gen model S did not get the update cuz it doesn't have the hardware . It only got its o.s updated so only my range and safety and convenience features increased.

Oh but I did support Apple recently by updating my iPhone from 6 to a 7. Yeah I lost my headphone jack / but I can get a bit of water on it now and the camera is not that much worse. And also bought by a new current MacBook Pro for my sons college. Spent about the same 2k as his older one. Yeah lost all the connectivity- but who cares right? He has two USB c ports (yeah in total I guess - and who cares if one of those two is for power ) but I maxed the ram out to a non upgradeable 8gb! And, it's also wee bit faster than his 10 year old ssd core duo MacBook Pro!

Sadly this is actually all true. No joke.
Come on Apple...

Told u I digressed,

But hey we all get to hang out here and build the machine apple never gave us for purely personal use and hobby reasons. The cool thing is that this is actually fun and gratifying at least. And that is also no joke
I agree that Apple seem to have lost direction despite gearing everything up to a mobile way of life. I don't like trying to predict things as I tend to be massively wrong but in for a penny in for a pound ...

So, let's start with a few questions. Why has the 64 thread limit been invoked? Why has the way Apple handles PowerManagement changed? Why was information leaked (don't know where from) that said Apple has things in plan/place that will cripple the Hackintosh community? What area has WinTel always been vulnerable? Which free and open source OS has pretty much been accepted as the most secure and reliable platform for servers these days? Why are Apple making changes to their HfsPlus file format? Which company has a new CPU coming out real soon that can compete with E5v4 on cores and speed? Where did that failing company get the R&D costs from to develop said CPU's? Which computer brand name doesn't have a server class machine? Why have those same new CPU's not appeared in the market yet despite early Q1 2017 anouncement? It was predicted that we would see or hear about a new MacPro last year which is long overdue compared to its normal lifecycle. Is this tied in somehow? Which branch of the Hackintosh community has always remained problematic and stunted? Which companies CPU's do you hardly ever see ES versions available on E-Bay etc? Finally, whose server side CPU's have a solid market place and reputation for reliability and has no altered pricing structure for quad mounting and not just dual?

I don't 'know' the answers, but I have my suspicions/thoughts and they leave me feeling a tad xenophobic (think pronunciation here). Network Admins have been highly disappointed for a number of years of the power to cost ratio of the WinTel platform.

Like I said above - Over fertile imagination here, but certainly room and food for thought.

Martin

I agree that Apple seem to have lost direction despite gearing everything up to a mobile way of life. I don't like trying to predict things as I tend to be massively wrong but in for a penny in for a pound ...

So, let's start with a few questions. Why has the 64 thread limit been invoked? Why has the way Apple handles PowerManagement changed? Why was information leaked (don't know where from) that said Apple has things in plan/place that will cripple the Hackintosh community? What area has WinTel always been vulnerable? Which free and open source OS has pretty much been accepted as the most secure and reliable platform for servers these days? Why are Apple making changes to their HfsPlus file format? Which company has a new CPU coming out real soon that can compete with E5v4 on cores and speed? Where did that failing company get the R&D costs from to develop said CPU's? Which computer brand name doesn't have a server class machine? Why have those same new CPU's not appeared in the market yet despite early Q1 2017 anouncement? It was predicted that we would see or hear about a new MacPro last year which is long overdue compared to its normal lifecycle. Is this tied in somehow? Which branch of the Hackintosh community has always remained problematic and stunted? Which companies CPU's do you hardly ever see ES versions available on E-Bay etc? Finally, whose server side CPU's have a solid market place and reputation for reliability and has no altered pricing structure for quad mounting and not just dual?

I don't 'know' the answers, but I have my suspicions/thoughts and they leave me feeling a tad xenophobic (think pronunciation here). Network Admins have been highly disappointed for a number of years of the power to cost ratio of the WinTel platform.

Like I said above - Over fertile imagination here, but certainly room and food for thought.

Martin
Well said Martin!
Nudge nudge wink wink.
Yeah I see the writing too now that you've cleared the haze. And for me that's exciting.
Never did consider this and yes, absolutely, it does make terrific sense. Just wish us pros could have this option quite some time ago. I'd gladly buy in. Just need the tools now and at best an indication that we are not ignored years earlier.
Perhaps this was the reason behind Tim Cooks most recent statement to their commitment to the pro community. (which ironically happened as I posted my last response).
But For now I'll use my hack happily while I wait for the mere speed bump to the Mac Pro in June . But if your insight is most probably true in the near future , I can get back to mastering my craft and let Apple build my tools.

But yikes . we did digress didn't we...

Hey Martin,

So here I am
Thanks to the entire community here. tiz an awesome thang.

my purchased hardware:

2 x E5 2966 v4’s OEM (22 cores, 44 threads each . They are actually 2699v4’s just not sold individually , only n workstations )
Supermicro X10dai latest bios v 2.0A
64 GIG ram (4 x16GB2400 modules)
Titan X - 12GB SC

2 x E5 2603 v4’ (for testing)
GTX 650 (for testing)
GTX 750 (for testing)

Gotta stay on EL cap 10.11.6 for my current plugs and audio software support.
tried clover r4012 & 3989

It took a while (might get into that later) but with one E5 2696 processor I’ve successfully installed 10.11.6 with everything including ACPI & CUDA rocking. Geek bench around 61.5 K & CInebench around 2700. It rips and stable as is. but plop the 2nd 2696 v4 processor in there & dial it down in the bios to 16 cores an 32 threads each (to adhere to the max core limit of 32/64), and baam it hangs on booting just after the mac framework statement . If I enable all 44 cores/88 threads
it just kp’s from the get go.
However if I simply put the 2x 2603’s in there it’s fine.
It seems as though I’ve tried every boot argument & bios update & setting imaginable, the older Kelper&Maxwell GPU’s but it makes no difference. New Fake smc and clover. nada. Disable Power management - still butkus…

Can anyone think of anything I’m missing?
Perhaps dual incompatible yucky CPU’s ?- but both work individually fine. hmmm.

Can we possible enable all the cores?
Or do I need another scotch?

interesting note...
-The e5 2603’s are recognized and identified in about this mac correctly. The one e5 2696 is the correct frequency but shows up as Unknown Processor. I know this can be fixed cosmetically but perhaps it’s a deeper os thing?

Cheers!
So back to my main question. One cou is completely fine but why can't I boot OS X with dual CPUs if I dial down the 32/64 thread limit in the bios? It's not eist or hyper threading, or Vt. (Thanks Martin again for your idea btw)
Any thoughts ?

Well I managed to get two v4 2640's in place of my v3's.
Got Sierra installed, but during post install to fix the wifi and one other thing, I think the 980ti, during reboot, I get to the apple logo and KP. In -v mode, exact same thing, right after ++++++.

So I am hopeful.
This is the -16 board.
If someone has an stable EFI, I would appreciate it.
Weird though, if I boot from inside the bios, I get the OS launched, If you do it from the choice of drive right out of the bios, then you get the kp. That's how I know the install is ok, it something about getting the boot that seems to be wanked, imho.

Oh, and the biggest hurdle, DO NOT put an M2 card in during initial install. You cant do it that way and you cant do the install either. Took me some time to think back to basics.... Minimum hardware... yada yada. Once I removed it (WD Blue 500gb) the install was BAM done. I wasted so much time having that in there and nothing working. again.... Learn from my F Ups.

I've uploaded my current USB Clover EFI. I hope I havent effed the pooch to much with noob setting errors, apologies in advance.

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.4 KB · Views: 267
So back to my main question. One cou is completely fine but why can't I boot OS X with dual CPUs if I dial down the 32/64 thread limit in the bios? It's not eist or hyper threading, or Vt. (Thanks Martin again for your idea btw)
Any thoughts ?
It might be worth talking to your SupeMicro rep if you have one, early ASUS Z10PE-D8 boards need a hardware adaptation to them to make them handle dual v4 CPU's. My first Z10 was sent back because with 2 CPU's installed it would not load any OS, would boot fine, but no installation was successful. not even linux without CPU error LED becoming active. I had no issues at all with the replacement motherboard.

Martin

Well I managed to get two v4 2640's in place of my v3's.
Got Sierra installed, but during post install to fix the wifi and one other thing, I think the 980ti, during reboot, I get to the apple logo and KP. In -v mode, exact same thing, right after ++++++.

So I am hopeful.
This is the -16 board.
If someone has an stable EFI, I would appreciate it.
Weird though, if I boot from inside the bios, I get the OS launched, If you do it from the choice of drive right out of the bios, then you get the kp. That's how I know the install is ok, it something about getting the boot that seems to be wanked, imho.

Oh, and the biggest hurdle, DO NOT put an M2 card in during initial install. You cant do it that way and you cant do the install either. Took me some time to think back to basics.... Minimum hardware... yada yada. Once I removed it (WD Blue 500gb) the install was BAM done. I wasted so much time having that in there and nothing working. again.... Learn from my F Ups.

I've uploaded my current USB Clover EFI. I hope I havent effed the pooch to much with noob setting errors, apologies in advance.
All I can say is that my original post with iMac14,2 was/is for me at present the most stable. Adaptations such as no HT and EIST have improved things, and setting legacy too all but boot seems to work best from what I can gather from other posters here. Apples EFI handling has definitely changed so it might be worth trying it as full legacy with CSM

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back