Contribute
Register

Best Single Slot Low Profile GPU for a Kaby Lake Sierra build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's older than the Quadro P series, I do believe. I also thought Radeon support under OSX was not nearly as good as Nvidia, though I haven't kept up with the hackintosh scene since I finished my build. I have updated to High Sierra, but things have been running great on my system.

GTX-1050 and GTX-1050 ti is a good choice and comes low profile from Gigabyte

GTX-1050 and GTX-1050 ti is a good choice and comes low profile from Gigabyte

Please provide links. All I've been able to find is that ASL makes a card, but never found anywhere to buy. At the time of my build, the top end options were a GTX 745 or the Quadro P cards, such as the P1000 that I went with. I've not found anything more powerful than the P1000 that will fit, not that I have to ditch my P1000 (which I'm loving).

Away at the moment but I found on amazon both of them. I do know they plan a small gtx 1080 as well but not low profile.

I’ve used plenty of multiple types of pascal cards and the performance is excellent even at the gtx 1050/ti level.

Please provide links. All I've been able to find is that ASL makes a card, but never found anywhere to buy. At the time of my build, the top end options were a GTX 745 or the Quadro P cards, such as the P1000 that I went with. I've not found anything more powerful than the P1000 that will fit, not that I have to ditch my P1000 (which I'm loving).

Away at the moment but I found on amazon both of them. I do know they plan a small gtx 1080 as well but not low profile.

I’ve used plenty of multiple types of pascal cards and the performance is excellent even at the gtx 1050/ti level.

If you get the chance, share links from those you found on Amazon. I didn't have much luck yesterday finding any. Could be helpful to others who come across this thread.

Single slot stuff I can't find the links I saw other than the 1030, rest seem dual slot for low profile configurations.

Low profile dual slot is easy to find, however, and most cases in the ITX world minus super small ones can fix.

the P1000 is actually a good card and basically a 1050ti so it probably is a good choice.

If you get the chance, share links from those you found on Amazon. I didn't have much luck yesterday finding any. Could be helpful to others who come across this thread.

Single slot stuff I can't find the links I saw other than the 1030, rest seem dual slot for low profile configurations.

Low profile dual slot is easy to find, however, and most cases in the ITX world minus super small ones can fix.

You're right, and that's basically what I wanted to confirm. There are several low profile, dual slot offerings, as well as single slot full size offerings. But finding low profile single slot offerings, which is what's required for my Streacom F7C Alpha case, pickings are slim. Thus, I believe the P1000 is still the most powerful card you can get for this case, under OSX.

That case is beautiful! I'd love your experience on the build. With all the smaller systems it's always a concern with heat and cooling.

You're right, and that's basically what I wanted to confirm. There are several low profile, dual slot offerings, as well as single slot full size offerings. But finding low profile single slot offerings, which is what's required for my Streacom F7C Alpha case, pickings are slim. Thus, I believe the P1000 is still the most powerful card you can get for this case, under OSX.

That case is beautiful! I'd love your experience on the build. With all the smaller systems it's always a concern with heat and cooling.

I absolutely love this case, and definitely recommend it any chance I get. The size is perfect, IMO, as I don't really need anything smaller. While it is small, there were no compromises getting high end gear to fit properly. There is room for a Noctua NH-L9I CPU cooler, as well as an extra Noctua 90mm case fan. I went with the F7C because I wanted the CD drive, as well as room for a PCI card. If no graphics card were needed, the F1C EVO case would had been my choice.

If you've followed through this thread, you'd see that I started with a GTX 745 card, ordered and tested a P400 card (to ensure hackintosh compatibility), then I returned it and bought a P1000. With the 745 and the P400, using a 10A/120W power supply was fine, but switch to the P1000, my build was restarting if I did anything too graphics demanding. The fix was switching to 16A/192W power supply, but the trouble there was that it used a 4-pin connector instead of the previous barrel connector, so I had to bore out that power connector hole in the case. 10 minutes is all it took, and has been great since. Pictures for that are here.

But yeah, overall I'm very happy with this build. I went with a 256GB Crucial MX300 SSD, and I wish I would have went bigger, or better yet, NVMe (if I can figure out how to boot from that). My hackintosh install has been rock solid on 10.12.5, but eventually I'm going to reinstall to High Sierra (hopefully on a M.2 drive, preferably NVMe if my mobo supports it).

High Sierra on a M2 NVME seems like a nice idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back