Contribute
Register

Best Single Slot Low Profile GPU for a Kaby Lake Sierra build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
High Sierra on a M2 NVME seems like a nice idea!

But is it a reality? Can it be done? I haven't searched yet to find out.

But is it a reality? Can it be done? I haven't searched yet to find out.
There is native support for NVME boot drives in High Sierra.

Last edited:
There is native support for NVME in High Sierra.

As in as a boot drive? IIRC, Sierra had NVMe support, but it didn't work so well for a NVMe boot drive.

If so, I know what I'll be doing over my holiday break. :D

I'm going to try building one of these for my HTPC and coffeelake. I was actually concerned about the power situation and will look into what you posted and their site. Thanks for your experience.

I'n mine I have a spare GT 1030 I'll likely give a try with it.

I absolutely love this case, and definitely recommend it any chance I get. The size is perfect, IMO, as I don't really need anything smaller. While it is small, there were no compromises getting high end gear to fit properly. There is room for a Noctua NH-L9I CPU cooler, as well as an extra Noctua 90mm case fan. I went with the F7C because I wanted the CD drive, as well as room for a PCI card. If no graphics card were needed, the F1C EVO case would had been my choice.

If you've followed through this thread, you'd see that I started with a GTX 745 card, ordered and tested a P400 card (to ensure hackintosh compatibility), then I returned it and bought a P1000. With the 745 and the P400, using a 10A/120W power supply was fine, but switch to the P1000, my build was restarting if I did anything too graphics demanding. The fix was switching to 16A/192W power supply, but the trouble there was that it used a 4-pin connector instead of the previous barrel connector, so I had to bore out that power connector hole in the case. 10 minutes is all it took, and has been great since. Pictures for that are here.

But yeah, overall I'm very happy with this build. I went with a 256GB Crucial MX300 SSD, and I wish I would have went bigger, or better yet, NVMe (if I can figure out how to boot from that). My hackintosh install has been rock solid on 10.12.5, but eventually I'm going to reinstall to High Sierra (hopefully on a M.2 drive, preferably NVMe if my mobo supports it).

Yes it can be done and I use it myself. I used both an OEM Samsung 951 NVMe drive and an OCZ NVMe drive for booting. I did have a lot of trouble with the Samsung 950 Pro on my UD5 motherboard for booting, however.

The speed is very nice but for regular work it's not fully noticeable. IO-bound it most definitely is.

As in as a boot drive? IIRC, Sierra had NVMe support, but it didn't work so well for a NVMe boot drive.

If so, I know what I'll be doing over my holiday break. :D

Did you manage to get sound working via DisplayPort on your Quadro?
Sorry for the late response. Yes it does somewhat work. I have to hot plug the monitor. While the computer is on I have to change ports. Once I change ports I check the Settings for Sound and it appears and works.

Sorry for the late response. Yes it does somewhat work. I have to hot plug the monitor. While the computer is on I have to change ports. Once I change ports I check the Settings for Sound and it appears and works.
Thanks. That sounds like a bit of a pain!

tycoonbob - thanks for all your great info here. This thread has inspired me to build my next hack with this same case & most likely the quadro P1000 vid card, as soon as I sell off a few more components from my current build. However I'm going to go for an I5-8400 6-core:). I'll reply back here, or maybe even do a separate build thread once I get it all put together. Can't wait.

Sounds cool. Think I want to try one too soon.

tycoonbob - thanks for all your great info here. This thread has inspired me to build my next hack with this same case & most likely the quadro P1000 vid card, as soon as I sell off a few more components from my current build. However I'm going to go for an I5-8400 6-core:). I'll reply back here, or maybe even do a separate build thread once I get it all put together. Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back