Contribute
Register

Best Single Slot Low Profile GPU for a Kaby Lake Sierra build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to upgrade some original Quadro 4000 cards. Seeing your Cinebench results made me wonder though. Is the Quadro 4000 shown there (no. 3 on the list) one of these (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/product-quadro-4000-uk.html) or a newer model?

If it is one of the original ones, perhaps a P400 isn't going to be an upgrade at all!

Hey, not positive exactly which card is listed but I imagine it is the one you linked. I reran Cinebench and extended the full list out and it looks like the new Pascal-based P400 is on par with the older Quadro 4000. The P400, P600, and P1000 are all single-slot LP cards, so should fit about anywhere. P400 runs around $120 USD, P600 is around $178 USD, and the P1000 is about $330 USD. The P600 and the P1000 both have 4 DP 1.4 connectors, while the P400 only has 3. If the P400 would clock somewhere around 63 on Cinebench, and my P1000 around 110...I'd guess the P600 would be somewhere around 80, so that'd be an upgrade over the Quadro 4000. I don't think I'd recommend the P400 for you, though. P600 if you want to save money, or P1000 if you want more power and are limited by a single-slot LP space, which I was. The P2000 is a single slot, but full height and runs around $425. I'm also limited based on power, so the P1000 is probably the most powerful card I can run in my system.

I see no mention in this thread of GT 1030 which is confirmed to work just fine

I believe this card came out after I bought my P1000, or possibly around that same time. However, it appears that this card may not be labeled as a single slot card, although I imagine it'd work fine in my chassis. Definitely an option to consider, though!

So card arrived this morning, and I've already gotten it installed. As previously stated, I had updated my Nvidia Web Drivers to the latest (378.05.05.05f02 at the time of this post), so today I just powered down, removed the GTX 745, put in the p400, and powered on and it was just working without issue.

Just from normal use (i.e., stuff like YouTube), it seems great. Very smooth, seems issue free. Cinebench R15 scores are pretty identical to the GTX 745 (OpenGL at 63.98 fps, CPU at 876 cb), so I'm not sure if I can say for certain if it's an upgrade over the 745, but definitely on par. I'm going to use this for a few days while I wait on a P1000 to be delivered, and then I'll send the P400 back. I imagine the P1000 will be an upgrade over the GTX 745, and should be the best GPU I could possibly get for my build (based on my power and space requirements). I also like that this P400 has mDP 1.4 instead of HDMI/DVI-D (P400 has 3, P600 and P1000 have 4), and they come with mDP to DP adapters, though I will just use mDP to DP cables for my 2 monitors. All in all, very happy!

I probably won't do power draw tests with the P400, but will once I get the P1000.

l9u16z3.png

GTX 745 on top, Quadro P400 on the bottom.
FuRjB5P.jpg

Quadro P400 installed.
Jax7ptu.jpg

Did you have any issues with sound?

Did you have any issues with sound?

Well, don't really know...not using the built-in sound. Instead, I'm using a SMSL AD18 DAC/amp paired with Klipsch RB-51 II's, and it's been absolutely wonderful. For my uses, I couldn't ask for more.

Well, don't really know...not using the built-in sound. Instead, I'm using a SMSL AD18 DAC/amp paired with Klipsch RB-51 II's, and it's been absolutely wonderful. For my uses, I couldn't ask for more.

tycoonbob - very interested in doing a similar build to yours. Have you tried gaming with the P1000? Can you post any frame rates? I don't game as much as I used to, but once in a while . . .

Thanks!

tycoonbob - very interested in doing a similar build to yours. Have you tried gaming with the P1000? Can you post any frame rates? I don't game as much as I used to, but once in a while . . .

Thanks!

Sorry, no frame rates to share. The only game I've really played since I build this system is Starcraft: Remastered, and Starcraft II. Both played without an issue, but they're not exactly GPU demanding games.
Overall, very happy with my build. I wish I would have went with a 500GB SSD, or better yet, NVMe drive, and this is something I may venture into once I decide to upgrade to High Sierra later this year (assuming hackintosh support, boot from NVMe support, etc).

Ok. Thx. I changed my GPU from a GTX 745 4GB to a Quadro P600 2GB and I don't get HDMI sound from the Quadro but if I switched back to the 745 I get HDMI sound. I do get sound from the onboard audio so at least I can plug in some external speakers.

Ok. Thx. I changed my GPU from a GTX 745 4GB to a Quadro P600 2GB and I don't get HDMI sound from the Quadro but if I switched back to the 745 I get HDMI sound. I do get sound from the onboard audio so at least I can plug in some external speakers.
Did you manage to get sound working via DisplayPort on your Quadro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back