Contribute
Register

Best GPU for Hackintosh used for video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vega 64 more efficient than 5700 XT?o_O

Vega 64 more efficient than 5700 XT?o_O

Its more power hungry but has slightly faster results. It runs close to 300 watts compared to the 200 watts for the 5700XT. So for a power to performance comparison 5700xt beats it.

I am not sure what price range you are looking at but right now you can get a VII for $500 looks like the Vegas are in the 400 range and the 5700 xt is also in the 400 range. As far as what one is the best VII, Vega 64, 5700 XT, in that order. However, I can not imagine that it is a huge performance jump from card to card.

I agree with you. The VII, will show it’s strength more as projects get more complex and require more “unrendered” playback. This was what I noticed mostly going from a low end card to a mid range card. Render times were better as well but playback of the timeline was the greatest benefit.

The VII, will show it’s strength more as projects get more complex and require more “unrendered” playback.

I have closely monitored behaviour of FCPX and there 3 scenarios how FCPX uses hardware:
  • Mostly CPU, GPU is almost idle
  • Mostly GPU, CPU is almost idle
  • Both GPU and CPU are used actively
Which one is more used depends at the material in your project. Some materials or plugins require CPU, others GPU etc.

Radeon VII provides both, seamless video playback and fast video rendering. Radeon VII is the best video card you can get currently for your Hack.

If you use Hack for professional work, get Radeon VII, if you want to save some money and do video editing for hobby, get Vega 56 or Vega 64.

I have closely monitored behaviour of FCPX and there 3 scenarios how FCPX uses hardware:
  • Mostly CPU, GPU is almost idle
  • Mostly GPU, CPU is almost idle
  • Both GPU and CPU are used actively
Which one is more used depends at the material in your project. Some materials or plugins require CPU, others GPU etc.

Radeon VII provides both, seamless video playback and fast video rendering. Radeon VII is the best video card you can get currently for your Hack.

If you use Hack for professional work, get Radeon VII, if you want to save some money and do video editing for hobby, get Vega 56 or Vega 64.
Yes I agree. If you need the fastest rendering of effects in FCPX and this is because time is money then listen to iLifeHackintosh and get a Radeon VII. You'll be very pleased. :headbang::mrgreen:
If this is your hobby then an RX480/580 with 8GB or two of em would be great. And as was stated the Vega 56/64 models will also do very well. And yes two of em will also play well in FCPX. :)

Hi boy, I have a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro + with Catalina installed. If I try to use metal with premiere pro cc 2020, the rendering turns all red and, consequently, it laggy. But if I use in the open air the rendering is perfect. is there no way to use metal well? thank you

Hi boy, I have a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro + with Catalina installed. If I try to use metal with premiere pro cc 2020, the rendering turns all red and, consequently, it laggy. But if I use in the open air the rendering is perfect. is there no way to use metal well? thank you

Look to the graphic cards sub forums for assistance this is the buying advice thread. Maybe you will find your answer there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back