Contribute
Register

Best Budget Gigabyte Motherboard for El Capitan Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the memory on the QVL?

I have the Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3 Motherboard with an i5-6400 under 10.11.5, all my USB ports work, Ethernet works, the HD 530 graphics work, BUT IT WILL NOT WAKE THE SCREEN FROM SLEEP! I had to fit an NVidia card to achieve that, (GE Geforce 740 + NVidia web drivers and the boot argument to switch on NVidia drivers in config.plist). This board actually shuts down properly (no spinning permanent fans) but I cannot get the ALC887 Codec to work from Multibeast. Other people with another version of this board (minus the DDR3) seem to have no problems getting the Codec working but I think I will have to get a USB sound card. I think it's a great value board, simply because barring the sound, it takes to EL Capitan very well which is worth the money. There may be cheaper boards with the same chipsets, but that was a risk I wasn't prepared to take and it seems to have paid off.

I have the Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3 Motherboard with an i5-6400 under 10.11.5, all my USB ports work, Ethernet works, the HD 530 graphics work, BUT IT WILL NOT WAKE THE SCREEN FROM SLEEP! I had to fit an NVidia card to achieve that, (GE Geforce 740 + NVidia web drivers and the boot argument to switch on NVidia drivers in config.plist). This board actually shuts down properly (no spinning permanent fans) but I cannot get the ALC887 Codec to work from Multibeast. Other people with another version of this board (minus the DDR3) seem to have no problems getting the Codec working but I think I will have to get a USB sound card. I think it's a great value board, simply because barring the sound, it takes to EL Capitan very well which is worth the money. There may be cheaper boards with the same chipsets, but that was a risk I wasn't prepared to take and it seems to have paid off.
Yeah, that all sounds like a good setup. I am actually going to go with the GA-Z170-HD3 (the DDR4 model). I hope the Ethernet works. My processor is the Intel Core i5 6600k. Do you know if it'll work alright with El Capitan? If so, great and thanks!

My on-board Ethernet worked on the RealtekRTL8111 v2.1.0d1 from Multibeast. The Mobo manual simply stated Realtek GbE chip and I had to try all 3 Realtek drivers in Multibeast until I hit the correct one!

I'm guessing the DDR4 model is simply an upgrade to take DDR4 RAM so we have GA-Z170-HD3, GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3 and now GA-Z170-HD3 DDR4. Maybe there is some difference between them BIOS wise, which is probably why my Audio doesn't work, whereas all the build I've seen on this forum stating GA-Z170-HD3 as the Mobo have working audio. However, I couldn't find an exact GA-Z170-HD3 model for sale and ended up with the DDR3 version.

Oh yes, I am running v10.11.5 of El Capitan on my build. Just about to order a Beringher UCA 202 to (hopefully) sort the sound problem out. I was mostly impressed with the full shutdown and the wake-up from sleep (bar the Intel onboard graphics caveat). I had to work with a friends old Gigabyte Hackintosh a few months ago (long story) but the failure to shutdown properly or wake from sleep was very unimpressive. I think you have to try and use the exact hardware on known good builds for the OS, but let's face it, I can't see you having any more grief than I have with a DDR4 version of the board.

QVL is the Qualified Vendors List, which means that the memory on the list is verified to work, but not necessarily at the higher speeds. That doesn't mean that you can't go to the Memory Vendor website and go through their Mem Finder app to find memory that should work in your mobo.

Never mix more than 1 kit of memory, either a kit of 2 or a kit of 4, and the ultimate speed of a kit usually depends on the CPU: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back