Contribute
Register

Best Bluetooth Adapter for Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to post a question to the community. I've hackintoshed a fair amount now and have had success with plenty of Bluetooth USB adapters. I do find on every case with ever single on of them a weird issue with using a Magic Trackpad. There is a kind of heartbeat dropout where input is ignored for a bread second. If feels almost like on a kind of timer. I don't see this issue in any of my actual macs. I'm thinking it's a kind of interference but I can't figure out what that could be. I don't have any USB 3 hubs in use or any obstructions. I've tried many brands and types of Bluetooth adapters in close proximity.

A thought occurred it's the limited USB antenna signal vs a real card or one with an external antenna. Could anyone share some advice or success with using trackpads without the dropout?

I bought this BT adapter from post 12 in this thread and it works fine with the Magic Trackpad. Have you considered that it is not the BT hardware that you tried but something else? Software? Motherboard? Does it work plugged in without the dropouts?

I have just I don't see issues with anything else. I did a bit of searching out there in the interwebs. I found similar discussion on magic trackpads in general but I don't see this issue with Bluetooth 2.0 macs (my MacBook and Mac Pro 5,1)

The trackpad works without disconnecting, justvevery so often it skips reading a finger movement almost like a long timer.

I considered it was the new model trying to preserve battery so I tried an old one with the same result.

I bought this BT adapter from post 12 in this thread and it works fine with the Magic Trackpad. Have you considered that it is not the BT hardware that you tried but something else? Software? Motherboard? Does it work plugged in without the dropouts?

There is an issue with OS X Sierra and the Apple Magic Trackpad (A1339), Apple are aware of the problem, maybe a fix in 10.12.6?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7679256?start=0&tstart=0

I have an Atheros (AR5B195) combo card with BT AR3011, all working great with Apple Magic Mouse. but trackpad will freeze at random and also on 3 finger gestures, comes back after approx 5-10 seconds.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share that I bought a Gymle USB bluetooth adapter on Amazon so I could use a magic mouse II.
It worked great!

It probably doesn't work great when configuring the BIOS, etc.

I want to use a Magic Trackpad II, which works with a PCI card, but now I’d like to move the machine two floors away into a rack (using a fiber HDMI) and I’m trying to see how I can get a Bluetooth NIC near where I need it perhaps using a USB extender. It will have to be Bluetooth 4 for sure.

Is anyone using a USB BT module with MagicTrackpad II?

I had problems with the iogear, stuttering and lagging.

This one has been rock solid for me:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F85ZPIY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

On thing I can say is often the range on these things is no where near what they claim. I have mine plugged into the back of my monitor on a short USB extension cable. That puts it only about 12-18 inches from my mouse.

I am using and Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse.

Can highly recommend this (UK Amazon): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007MKMJGO/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Arrived within 3 days, very small, plunged it in, Spotlight>Bluetooth and it already saw both my MAgic Trackpad 2 and Keyboard. Clicked connect, done, done Did not think it would be that simple. And the range works perfectly about 2-3 meters away seeing as some people give out about range. I don’t care, they’re about 12 inches away from each other on a desk

For those looking for the way to make your BT keyboards work with BIOS: I've just discovered an alternative way for Magic Keyboard 2. Many people don't know that if you connect it via lightning cable - it becomes a driverless wired keyboard, and it'll work in BIOS, Clover and anywhere else.
Combine it with a dual pairing solution from here, and you're good to go: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3113227

It does have a downside of having to plug the keyboard in whenever you want to work with BIOS, but I find that I don't have to use it too much after initial configuration. And I use a separate wireless mouse to switch OS in Clover. Not the best solution, but I'm sure it'll work for some folks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back