Contribute
Register

~Beginning builder: 6GB/s SATA ports not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
GTX 680
Mac
  1. MacBook
I am building my first computer and I have purchased my components. I chose the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard, and it features three 6GB/s SATA ports. I intended to use those ports to connect my two SSDs and my HDD (SanDisk Extreme 120 GB SSD, Crucial m4 64 GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 7200 250 GB HDD), but recently I read this:

Setting up the parts of your PC," it says "make sure that the SATA cables for your hard drive and your DVD/Bluray drive are plugged into the 3GB/s SATA ports on your motherboard, not the 6GB/s SATA ports…the 6 GB/s SATA ports simply don't work well with OS X.

Is this true, or can I safely ignore this instruction? If it is, are there workarounds or fixes to enable the use of the 6GB/s SATA ports as intended, at maximum speed?

Do other people who have motherboards with 6GB/s SATA ports use them? How do you have your drives hooked up?

On some boards, especially ones with a Marvell SATA controller, do not perform like you think they would in SATA III conditions. Although it supports 6 Gb/s, it will not reach anywhere near that speed. But there is a solution that works like a charm, it just converts a SATA connection into a PCI-e connection.

Here's the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B0A6ZS/

It's great for the price, and it'll give you the performance you'd expect!

What are ways with which I can test my speed, to see if the problem affects me?

SATA3 6GB/sec works perfectly as long as you're connecting into the Intel controller/ports. if you do that you will be fine and the controller will be able to do 6GB/sec. To test it out, there's a nice/free app in the app store called Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.

Here's what my Crucial M4 does:

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-29%20at%201.13.36%20PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back