Register

Be careful Sonoma 14.1.2 update bricked my ASUS motherboard

Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO Wifi
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
I didn't even think this was possible from an OS update, but I was updating from 14.1.1 to 14.1.2 and it seems to have bricked my mobo. My mobo is the ASUS TUF GAMING Z390M-PRO WIFI mATX. My install was a current vanilla OpenCore version on a super stable desktop. I've tried everything I can think of to get it working, reset CMOS, remove/replace the battery, USB bios rescue, but it's not working. Only the rbg lights are on, no fans, no post screen, nothing. If anyone has any advice, I'm happy to receive it.

If I can't get this working, this is probably the end of the hackintosh journey for me. It doesn't make sense to throw more money at obsolete hardware. It's been a nice 10 years. Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Last edited:
Remove all connected devices, gpu, and ram, see if the mobo will spin up and give you some beep codes (speaker attached).

Remove all connected devices, gpu, and ram, see if the mobo will spin up and give you some beep codes (speaker attached).
I’ve mostly tried that. But I can remove everything and try again. Think I should keep the CPU installed?

Thanks for the response.

I successfully upgraded to 14.1.2 yesterday. Just sound didn't work on my Z490 Gigabyte board.

Good luck.

Then some real macs are gonna burn too

I’ve mostly tried that. But I can remove everything and try again. Think I should keep the CPU installed?

Thanks for the response.
Try also swapping out the battery. It's possible that it is out of juice and when the BIOS crash occurred it doesn't have enough power to reset the system.

Try also swapping out the battery. It's possible that it is out of juice and when the BIOS crash occurred it doesn't have enough power to reset the system.
That was the first thing I did, but it didn’t change anything. It’s so weird.

my ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 seems to be fine on Sonoma 14.1.2
I found a few other instances of a macOS update bricking mobos, but not my particular one or 14.1.2. Seems maybe random? It was definitely the macOS update that caused it. I was sitting at the computer when it happened. It went to restart as part of the update and then just nothing.

Then some real macs are gonna burn too
When I was looking into the issue, I saw a lot of posts of real macs bricking when updating. I’m not sure it’s only a hackintosh thing.

Back