Contribute
Register

Audio Problems - Asus p7p55d-e pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
nullcpupowermanagement did it for me, success! Now if I could only figure out why my geekbench scores are down vs. previous Lion install... The gap is now about 1000 below where it was. Started playing around with CPU settings in the BIOS but no luck yet.

nullcpu.kext is going to lower your performance because it does not allow speed stepping.

i was able to fix the problem by booting UseKernelCache=No without using the nullcpu.kext
slightly longer boot time (3-5 secs) but well worth it.

Interesting, as I was originally interested in using NullCPU as a way to hopefully boost performance. I was experiencing the slowdown prior to installing the kext and benchmarks after installation are still in line.

I'm assuming you discarded NullCPU because you were experiencing a decline in performance, if so, do you have any numbers from before/after?

Thanks!

I never had the NullCPU.kext on my p55 because I don't want my CPU running at maximum clock all the time.
Since it is running at max clock you may not see a difference in your geekbench score, but there are plenty of downsides to this.

nullcpu.kext is going to lower your performance because it does not allow speed stepping.

i was able to fix the problem by booting UseKernelCache=No without using the nullcpu.kext
slightly longer boot time (3-5 secs) but well worth it.

That's amazing! That DOES fix the audio.
Can you explain in baby terms what that command does and why it fixed the audio?

Also, is there a permanent solution (i.e. a way to make it boot like this automatically)?

Thanks so much.

That's amazing! That DOES fix the audio.
Can you explain in baby terms what that command does and why it fixed the audio?

Also, is there a permanent solution (i.e. a way to make it boot like this automatically)?

Thanks so much.

Check this video for an explanation of KernelCache: http://www.tonymacx86.com/27-tonymacx86-public-service-announcement-kernelcache.html

I am using an USB Audio adapter on my P7P55D-E Pro, which works flawless out of the box ;).
You yould also try the special VoodooHDA VT1828S in latest MultiBeast. I have not tested it, so test at your own risk :p.

You yould also try the special VoodooHDA VT1828S in latest MultiBeast. I have not tested it, so test at your own risk :p.

I'd be happy to try it (for science!), but I don't see that listed in MB 5.2.1. The last one listed is VoodooHDA VT2021 0.2.7.2; is the one you mentioned somewhere I missed?

Also, thanks for link. Noir cartoons explaining this to me is (seriously) exactly what I needed.

Digidesign [now Avid] Mbox 2 works great on 10.8.4 on my P7P55D-E-Pro. It's what I've used as my main audio interface on this machine since I first built it on 10.6. Had some trouble with digidesign kexts when I was upgrading from 10.6 to 10.7, deleted them and reinstalled the digidesign drivers and it was fine. No trouble with it when upgrading to 10.8.

Also, I use a little interface from Thomann, the t.bone MicPlug USB - about £20, and that was plug and play! Great little interface for an extra input and stereo output, and cheap way for lots of OP if used as part of an aggregate device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back