Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Tb2 support on tb4 is dead
If we want to build a PC based on 14th generation Intel processors, then yes. But on the 13th generation we can use TB2 without any problems. (Connect it before you boot OS.) It is important not to upgrade the BIOS. The last possible one is 2103. For ProArt there is a special 9901 (you can find a mention somewhere in 400 pages).

Has anyone tested Tthunderbolt 2 or 3 devices with the latest BIOS revisions with the ProArt Z690?
I mistakenly updated the BIOS to a newer one on another build where it was necessary to use only Windows. The motherboard used was Z690 Hero Eva. This is how I found out that the firmware for the new BIOS removes support for TB2. I have a test Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter and it didn’t work with the new BIOS version.
Then I bought another board, but did not flash the BIOS to the latest version, but stayed on 2103. And all works fine. TB to Ethernet and Apollo sound card. I still have the Z690 Hero Eva board updated to 2703. I plan to build a PC with her participation, but the PC will be used by a person who does not need TB2 support. Only NVME SSD Drives in TB cases.

What is find 4183E50F41D3E54409EB and replace to 4183E53F41D3E54409EB?
Kernel - Patch - com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily - find 4183E50F41D3E54409EB - replace 4183E53F41D3E54409EB - save.

If we want to build a PC based on 14th generation Intel processors, then yes. But on the 13th generation we can use TB2 without any problems(Connect it before you boot OS). It is important not to upgrade the BIOS. The last possible one is 2103. For ProArt there is a special 9901 (you can find a mention somewhere in 400 pages).
Yes. That is true about rolling back z690 back to nvm30, But officially Intel has ended support for tb2 on tb4 with nvm36 and newer. In fact, some Newer z790 motherboards come with nvm42 or newer (which among other things lets asm2464pd devices show up in the Intel Thunderbolt control center) and you cannot install nvm30 on those boards.

But I am personally looking forward to Barlow Ridge, when it arrives.

yes its sad you can still use tb2 on Mac m1 and m2 but not intel :banghead:

Hello everyone, I am currently on a BIOS version for the z690 ProArt Creator that allows TB2 devices to connect. I just upgraded from my last TB2 device, and no longer need this. I would like to update to a newer BIOS version to get Thunderbolt hot plug support. Even if its not always reliable. What BIOS version would you guys recommend? Is the latest one 3302, safe to use?

Hello everyone, I am currently on a BIOS version for the z690 ProArt Creator that allows TB2 devices to connect. I just upgraded from my last TB2 device, and no longer need this. I would like to update to a newer BIOS version to get Thunderbolt hot plug support. Even if its not always reliable. What BIOS version would you guys recommend? Is the latest one 3302, safe to use?
Don't you have hot plug support for TB3 devices on the current BIOS version? It seemed to me that for newer devices there are no problems with hot plugging. An exception, perhaps, will be the Blackmagic Ultra Studio. It requires a bus, but there is no bus and there won’t be one, so work is possible, but visibility is limited and there is no hot-plug.

Don't you have hot plug support for TB3 devices on the current BIOS version? It seemed to me that for newer devices there are no problems with hot plugging. An exception, perhaps, will be the Blackmagic Ultra Studio. It requires a bus, but there is no bus and there won’t be one, so work is possible, but visibility is limited and there is no hot-plug.

Nvm30 on BIOS 2103 and below has hot plugging support with one caveat… certain devices based on Alpine Ridge jhl6240 don’t hot plug. They will enumerate if connected at cold boot. But if you unplug or put the system to sleep and wake it, the device doesn’t come back until you reboot.

Nvm36 fixed this problem but it also introduced the other problem of removing support for tb2 devices.

Hello, I am having trouble getting USB on my Thunderbolt interface. The Thunderbolt connections work fine.
The Intel JLH8540 USB 3.1 is showing up in the pci report.
Any ideas welcome.

My Hackintosh was old and needed an upgrade badly. I decided to try this guide since it was the most recent golden build that met my needs. I couldn't get an Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi because it is so old so I went with an Asus Z790 ProArt Creator WiFi based on this post from CaseySJ:
@zipb,

You may have read some of the earlier posts in this thread from owners of Z790. I think the main issues are well-known and can be addressed with BIOS settings.

So if you’re comfortable with the Z790 platform, then we can discuss the remaining concerns, foremost being Thunderbolt.

This board and its Z690 predecessor have Maple Ridge (TB4), which is only partially supported in macOS. Hot plug can be inconsistent, but if Thunderbolt devices are connected and powered before boot, they will work. Some have noted that their UAD Apollos will work after one reboot, but this is not consistent across all users.

The most reliable Thunderbolt option is a flashed Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge. But I encourage everyone to first characterize the on-board ports. If those port work well enough, there’s no need for the add-in-card.

10GbE works natively in Monterey and Ventura, but sleep won’t work when a cable is connected to that port. That’s the only known issue there.

2.5GbE works well. No issue with sleep either.

I would recommend upgrading from AMD Vega to something newer. Feel free to test the Vega first — it may work well or it may not. It’s hard to predict.

Regarding WiFi/BT, we can install a Fenvi add-in-card or replace the on-board Intel M.2 module with a Fenvi BCM94360NG. Then nearly all Continuity features of macOS will work, including AirDrop.

Gear I am using:

Asus Z790 ProArt Creator WiFi
Intel Core i9-14900K
Corsair iCUE H115i Elite CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 192GB (4 x 48GB) RAM
SAMSUNG 990 PRO 4TB M.2 SSD
GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6900 XT AORUS MASTER 16GB GPU
EVGA Supernova 1600 G+, 80+ Gold 1600W Power Supply

Based on the guide, I updated the BIOS to the latest (v2002). I made all the BIOS changes per the guide and used the EFI-080-ASUS-Z690-PROART-CREATOR-WIFI EFI folder as a base. Added my details to that through OpenCore Configurator and created a 14.3.1 Sonoma installer using gibMacOS.

Immediate kernel panic. Any ideas?

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back