Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

1. It does speed up after the apple logo. Unfortunately it does not work for the ASUS logo Screen stuck. I can live with it just disable the internal Thunderbolt.
@ianccc,
  1. After the Apple logo
    • How much time does macOS take to boot up now (after the Apple logo)?
    • Does wake-from-sleep work normally? Do the screens turn on within a "normal" amount of time?
  2. Asus logo stuck screen
    • This problem was originally described as follows:
... I found startup got stuck on ASUS logo screen around 1 min for further loading. After apple logo screen disappears, it will turn to 20-30sec’s black to get displays come up. This also happens in the wakeup from sleep.

If I disable the onboard thunderbolt in the bios, the ASUS logo screen will just pass through, but the bootup and wakeup black screen issue still exist.
  • Because this affects the Asus logo, it means this delay is due to BIOS. I think turning off internal Thunderbolt is actually a good option because (a) it does not work reliably in macOS, (b) it is not Thunderbolt-Bus enabled, and (c) Asus BIOS may be getting confused when two Thunderbolt controllers are present
  • So I'm glad to see that you said "I can live with it". :)
2. Regarding the OS, yesterday it was Sonoma with OCLP. Because the network clashed so I chose to install Ventura. It turn out the same network clashed. Anyway, I have figure out why the network failure.For wireless, just disable the internal Thunderbolt, it will be fine. For ethernet, it was miserable. I confirmed the ethernet in BIOS was on, even restored bios to default several times. So I checked everything like Cable, Kernel, Router,Opencore, Thunderbolt, OS and so on. It all turn out failure. Never thought it was the BIOS problem. Just switch the ethernet off, reboot and switch it on. That's done. It is so wierd. (Write it down for someone might encounter that problem.)
Glad you found a way to restore Ethernet. When you say "just switch the ethernet off, reboot and switch it on", are you referring to switching Ethernet off and on in macOS -> System Settings -> Network or switching it off and on in BIOS?

View attachment 565157
Just confirmed minutes ago, it works.

Can someone please provide the 9901 BIOS? I was not aware of unsupporting TB2 since 2103, and I have updated my bios to the latest one, and lost thunderbolt with my tb2 sound interface.

UPDATE: It was on the home page, nevermind!.

@ianccc,
  1. After the Apple logo
    • How much time does macOS take to boot up now (after the Apple logo)?
    • Does wake-from-sleep work normally? Do the screens turn on within a "normal" amount of time?
  2. Asus logo stuck screen
    • This problem was originally described as follows:

• Because this affects the Asus logo, it means this delay is due to BIOS. I think turning off internal Thunderbolt is actually a good option because (a) it does not work reliably in macOS, (b) it is not Thunderbolt-Bus enabled, and (c) Asus BIOS may be getting confused when two Thunderbolt controllers are present
  • So I'm glad to see that you said "I can live with it". :)

Glad you found a way to restore Ethernet. When you say "just switch the ethernet off, reboot and switch it on", are you referring to switching Ethernet off and on in macOS -> System Settings -> Network or switching it off and on in BIOS?

1. After the Apple logo, It only takes around 5secs to get in. Wake and Sleep works very fast as well. That's brilliant.
2. About the ASUS logo Stuck screen, I feel the same. It should be due to BIOS. This Z690I Strix ITX motherboard has only one PCIE slot, so I connect GC-Titan-Ridge through M2-PCIE card. That might cause the BIOS problem. People have ProArt don't have that issue.
3. Switching Ethernet off and on in BIOS.

Last edited:
I tried the OCLP patch, but did not like the security compromises and patched kernel. So I've removed OCLP patch from all of my systems. For AirDrop I decided to use a workaround (because I could :)):
  • I have a self-built NAS running TrueNAS Scale that supports containers (like most all NAS operating systems do)
  • On the NAS I've installed NextCloud that is like a private version of DropBox or iCloud
  • On every Hackintosh I've installed the macOS NextCloud app that also acts like a DropBox app (from the menu bar)
  • On every iOS device I've installed the iOS NextCloud app
  • Whenever I need to "air drop" something from iOS to macOS or vice-versa, I simply upload the file to the local NextCloud app, which is very easy and convenient to do
  • The file (or files) then appear very quickly on all other devices running NextCloud
  • This runs entirely on the home network and none of the files is ever transmitted to a remote server
The entire thing is documented here:

Happy holidays!

oh ya, i'm also curious if you managed to get handoff working to and from the z690 with ventura?

Can someone please provide the 9901 BIOS? I was not aware of unsupporting TB2 since 2103, and I have updated my bios to the latest one, and lost thunderbolt with my tb2 sound interface.

UPDATE: It was on the home page, nevermind!.
be warned that your TB2 device will probably only work with BigSur or earlier versions of macOS

Thanks. I'll keep 1501 instead and check over the next week whether slide=0 fixes it. I'll report back.
BTW, I tried 1801 - no changes here. I did notice that disabling IGPU Multi Monitor in the BIOS (which presumably disables the IGPU entirely with a discrete GPU present) fixed AirportItlwm & cxgb. OpenCore reports 150 fewer free pages (all under 4 GB) with the IGPU enabled, so I suspect that may have something to do with it.

be warned that your TB2 device will probably only work with BigSur or earlier versions of macOS
I was able to make it work. It's a Presonus Quantum audio interface (TB2 but using a TB2 to TB3 adapter) it was working when I first assembled the hackintosh but I had the good idea of upgrading the bios (without knowing that with NVM36 I would loose support of tb1/2 and that I could not revert to previous bios ... :D)

But I followed the procedure described by ffjigft changed the "BIOS lock" value temporarily and then flashed the 9901 using FPTW64, and after reboot it flashed NVM31 again and everything is back to normal :)

Just updated to OC 0.9.7 and newest Monterey 12.7.2 with latest security update and - I guess - it messed up the USB ports map (BT stopped working, front USB ports don't work as 3.0 - only 2.0 devices work etc.). Any ideas what could cause this? I was updating OC with the OC Updater App and validated it with the OC Configurator afterwards - no issues were found. I will try reverting to OC 0.9.3 which I had previously

Just updated to OC 0.9.7 and newest Monterey 12.7.2 with latest security update and - I guess - it messed up the USB ports map (BT stopped working, front USB ports don't work as 3.0 - only 2.0 devices work etc.). Any ideas what could cause this? I was updating OC with the OC Updater App and validated it with the OC Configurator afterwards - no issues were found. I will try reverting to OC 0.9.3 which I had previously
Please post screenshots of the following:
  • OpenCore Configurator -> ACPI
  • OpenCore Configurator -> Kernel

Back