Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@CaseySJ I have another SSD with Windows 10 on, and I mounted on my ProArt Z690. But OC 097 doesn't get recognized as I see only the Mac partition at boot. Is there any quirk or flag specific to dual boot with Windows? Found the culprit ... the ScanPolicy quirk should have been changed!

Last edited:
Successfull build with this board (Asus z690 ProArt Creator Wifi) on Sonoma 14.1
i5 13600k / Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB 6400MT CL32/ RX 580

Super surprised with ThunderBolt working out of the box after installing drivers from Presonus (Presonus Quantum with a tb2 to tb3 adapter)

The only thing not currently working is Wifi+BT, perhaps the z790 has a different chipset? Any tip to make it work? @CaseySJ Sharing the EFI also, in case someone needs.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 09.34.32.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 32
Successfull build with this board (Asus z690 ProArt Creator Wifi) on Sonoma 14.1
i5 13600k / Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB 6400MT CL32/ RX 580

Super surprised with ThunderBolt working out of the box after installing drivers from Presonus (Presonus Quantum with a tb2 to tb3 adapter)

The only thing not currently working is Wifi+BT, perhaps the z790 has a different chipset? Any tip to make it work? @CaseySJ Sharing the EFI also, in case someone needs.

View attachment 576272

In the screenshot below we can see that both (a) Broadcom and (b) Intel WiFi drivers are enabled. We should only enable one or the other, not both at the same time.

I have had bad luck with the Broadcom WiFi patch for Sonoma on my Z690 ProArt -- the OCLP root patches do not install. So at this time I don't recommend the OCLP patch. Instead, the Intel WiFi driver (AirportItlwm) works well even though it lacks support for most of macOS's Continuity features.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 1.59.03 PM.png

Quite right, I'm getting 18.2 to 18.3 Gbps transfer speed over Thunderbolt 3 between my Hackintosh and MacBook Pro 14" as measured by iperf

[CUT]
I'm trying to connect the Asus Z690 Pro Art working under Windows 10 (with Thunderbolt drivers downloaded from its Asus repository) to my MacBookPro M1 Pro and... no joy at all... I have an Intel certified TH4 cable but nothing happens at all ! :thumbdown ... for a second the "Thunderbolt bridge" item in MBP's Network goes yellow and then red again, while in Windows there is no signal of life!!! :banghead:

And above all there is no (virtual) Ethernet network device over TH in Network center ... is there someone who can explain to me what I should do to have both the machine to communicate over a thunderbolt cable?

Hi @CaseySJ, @dehjomz :)

Pretty sure I had firmware 1.3.15 as well..

TBH I was really annoyed by the onboard 10GBe controller: at times, it seemed others could get the Z690 Creator to sleep while I could not on the same firmware, macOS version... And, even when I could, it was cursed by the auto awake from sleep the very first time I tried to put my hack to sleep. As everyone's is. So I started to do some testing... upgraded BIOS... dug the net... and I managed to upgrade firmware of the onboard AQC-113CS :O:)

So here are my findings on BIOS 2703 & AQC-113CS firmware 1.3.33
  • system goes to sleep one first sleep command, bam, no hesitations
  • when rebooting, the front Type-C port does not loose connection to whatever is connected to it (do you remember this post of yours CaseySJ? ...unfortunately, it is still not able to sleep when a Type-C device is connected to it :/
  • board is stable on 64GB DDR5 2x32GB 6400GT/s w/ OC tight timings and undervolt, whereas it did not happen on BIOS 2204 nor on BIOS 2103 using the same settings nor pushing voltages higher than now. pretty sure my board is limiting me from reaching higher frequencies, but this is another matter

I've updated my ProArt z690's BIOS to v. 2802 and AQC-113CS to firmware v. 1.3.33 from Dell site. And I'm pretty happy with results: I was able to apply tighter timings to my G.Skill (4*16GB 6600Mhz) and undervolt the CPU as well! :)

I will test USB-C 3.2 gen2x2 port very soon and report back.

@CaseySJ did you use the pikera boot argument for your 6650 XT build? I'm getting stuck at the apple logo half way and it won't seem to boot, i tried removing the pikera boot arg, no success either way.

FYI, all I have changed is the GPU from a 6600 to a 6650 XT
running ventura latest build.

@CaseySJ did you use the pikera boot argument for your 6650 XT build? I'm getting stuck at the apple logo half way and it won't seem to boot, i tried removing the pikera boot arg, no success either way.

FYI, all I have changed is the GPU from a 6600 to a 6650 XT
running ventura latest build.
The 6650XT is not natively supported so we need to use a SSDT to spoof the Device ID to 0x73FF (which is 6600XT). The boot argument agdpmod=pikera is also needed.

Hello! I used this guide to install MacOS on ProArt Z690 + 12400F + RX570. In general, everything works, including graphics and built-in Wi-Fi via Airportitlwm. However, there are several serious problems:

1. None of the included SSDTs can make all USB-A ports on the motherboard work. Even HS01, HS02 do not work, so I have to use HS07, HS08 for the mouse and keyboard, which is inconvenient, but I don’t know which way to go to fix it yet.

2. Sleep mode does not work. When going into sleep mode, the screen immediately turns off, but the computer goes into sleep for another 5-7 minutes (I can see this from the coolers/rgb backlight). After this wait, the computer goes to sleep. Then, when I press the keyboard, the computer begins to wake up (the monitor backlight and coolers turn on), but the image does not appear on the monitor. The only way to get out of this state is through a hard reset, which is very annoying. Unfortunately, I didn’t find a way to find any logs after a hard reset, so I also don’t know where to go next.

I would be glad to receive any advice! Thanks!

The 6650XT is not natively supported so we need to use a SSDT to spoof the Device ID to 0x73FF (which is 6600XT). The boot argument agdpmod=pikera is also needed.
i tried searching this thread and saw a device id that i manually added to config.plist but it wasn't 0x73FF, it was 78140000 as per opencore configurator screenshot

i put my old rx 570 back in and it's working instantly and so far really well with ventura.. i'll try again soon :)

--edit--
i tried to follow a youtube video how to spoof 6650xt, creating an aml, linking with config.plist, using FF73000 in device-id, pikera too, and still the same result, won't boot into macos ventura

Last edited:
Back