Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hi Casey! Thanks once again for your invaluable help.

So that's the Min/Max for the Sonoma kext, yes? What should the min/max be for the Ventura one? Just so that I'm certain.

I have been careful to only edit the config.plist that I want to, and I can see by selectively loading one after the other that changes have only been made to the new one on the USB stick. I actually have little txt files in my EFI folders saying "This is [insert disk name here]" so I don't make that mistake.
Good idea.

The idea that Opencore Configurator can edit the wrong one is quite scary.
This is not necessarily a problem with OpenCore Configurator. Even BBEdit behaves the same way. When two or more EFI partitions with the same name are mounted at the same time, some applications aren’t able to differentiate between them.

The HackinDROM app addresses this problem by giving each EFI partition a unique name when we mount the partition using HackinDROM itself.

The USB stick config has "AirportItlwn-Sonoma.kext" listed and the main MacOS drive config has "AirportItlwm-Ventura.kext" listed.
Probably a stupid question, but should I be at all concerned that none of the kexts listed have blue ticks next to them in either case?
Are you booting from the USB stick by pressing F8 at the Asus splash screen and selecting the USB drive from the BIOS boot menu?

Are you booting from the USB stick by pressing F8 at the Asus splash screen and selecting the USB drive from the BIOS boot menu?
Ahhh so there was something really simple I wasn't doing :lol:
This hasn't solved the boot problem but it does now mean I have a different set of errors; attached.

Also I don't know if it's worth mentioning but in addition to the MacOS disk's EFI, I can also see the USB stick's EFI as well as boot options. I don't know if this is normal, but I'm pretty sure I don't remember this happening with all the previous Hackintosh builds I've done (not that I have a perfect memory or anything).

Attachments

• Sonoma USB Boot faliure (with F8).jpg
    Sonoma USB Boot faliure (with F8).jpg
    974.9 KB · Views: 6
  • All boot options (default).jpg
    All boot options (default).jpg
    748.6 KB · Views: 9
Ahhh so there was something really simple I wasn't doing :lol:
This hasn't solved the boot problem but it does now mean I have a different set of errors; attached.

Also I don't know if it's worth mentioning but in addition to the MacOS disk's EFI, I can also see the USB stick's EFI as well as boot options. I don't know if this is normal, but I'm pretty sure I don't remember this happening with all the previous Hackintosh builds I've done (not that I have a perfect memory or anything).
Which version of OpenCore is in the EFI partition of the USB flash disk?

Feel free to remove serial numbers from config.plist -> PlatformInfo -> DataHub, then compress and post that EFI folder.

Which version of OpenCore is in the EFI partition of the USB flash disk?

Feel free to remove serial numbers from config.plist -> PlatformInfo -> DataHub, then compress and post that EFI folder.
It should be the newest version as I went through the process of updating the local version of Opencore to the latest one via OCAT, and then copied that same EFI to the USB's EFI. So they should be identical in that respect- to the best of my knowledge anyway. :problem:
I've attached compressed & redacted copies of both EFI folders (just in case).

Attachments

• EFI copies (redacted versions).zip
    93.6 MB · Views: 12
It should be the newest version as I went through the process of updating the local version of Opencore to the latest one via OCAT, and then copied that same EFI to the USB's EFI. So they should be identical in that respect- to the best of my knowledge anyway. :problem:
I've attached compressed & redacted copies of both EFI folders (just in case).
Please copy serial numbers into attached config.plist and try booting Sonoma from this. I made just a handful of changes, but the most signifiant one I believe is disabling SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS-RR.aml and enabling SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS.aml because the former cannot be opened in MaciASL. The file may be corrupted.

Attachments

• config.plist
    40.2 KB · Views: 13
Please copy serial numbers into attached config.plist and try booting Sonoma from this. I made just a handful of changes, but the most signifiant one I believe is disabling SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS-RR.aml and enabling SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS.aml because the former cannot be opened in MaciASL. The file may be corrupted.
Awesome, thankyou for that very much. So after putting the serial back, I copied that modified file to the USB's EFI folder, booted the USB (via F8), reset the NVRAM, rebooted the USB via F8, chose the Install Sonoma option to verbose boot, and got another faliure; attached.

"The file may be corrupted"... ouch. Not my custom USB setup file! That's a killer if the case
:(

Attachments

• Sonoma USB boot faliure w: CaseySJ edited config file.jpg
    Sonoma USB boot faliure w: CaseySJ edited config file.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Awesome, thankyou for that very much. So after putting the serial back, I copied that modified file to the USB's EFI folder, booted the USB (via F8), reset the NVRAM, rebooted the USB via F8, chose the Install Sonoma option to verbose boot, and got another faliure; attached.

"The file may be corrupted"... ouch. Not my custom USB setup file! That's a killer if the case
I'll try booting my Z690 ProArt with your EFI folder to troubleshoot this further. Should be able to do this in a couple of hours.

If anyone is running 64GB on their ProArt with XMP enabled, please let us know if macOS boots and whether any BIOS or OpenCore modifications were necessary.

Z790 ProArt Creator (sorry, can't remember BIOS version, but whatever it came with a month or so ago), 64GB (2x32) G.Skill Z5 DDR5, Ventura 13.5.2, XMP enabled. BIOS shows RAM running at 6000, as does "About this Mac". I did nothing special with either BIOS or OpenCore.

About.png

I'll try booting my Z690 ProArt with your EFI folder to troubleshoot this further. Should be able to do this in a couple of hours.

Problem found:

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 12.25.44 PM.png

I've also changed ProcessorType in PlatformInfo -> DataHub to 3841 instead of 3842.

You may either make the changes to existing config.plist or download attached version and copy serial numbers into it before use.

Attachments

• config.plist
    40.2 KB · Views: 20
Problem found:

View attachment 576044
I've also changed ProcessorType in PlatformInfo -> DataHub to 3841 instead of 3842.

You may either make the changes to existing config.plist or download attached version and copy serial numbers into it before use.

Okayyy. So firstly, thankyou very much, extremely appreciated as always.

Secondly, my computer has for some mysterious reason decided that it wants to crash CONSTANTLY today, whether it being on boot into MacOS or shortly after getting to the desktop, so getting in there making those changes to the file was an incredibly irritating process. Booting into Windows is still fine (that is when it decides to show me the option to of course), so I'm typing this from there instead. Again, I have made NO changes to the normal boot EFI since updating Opencore a couple of days ago. I must have reset the NVRAM a dozen times or more so far today..I guess it's just in a mood.
If my MacOS keeps crashing like this, I'm going to have to prioritise that as a problem to be fixed first...

Thirdly, once I did manage to edit the config.plist file and put it onto the Sonoma USB's EFI, I managed to boot into it and start the process- I saw a progress bar start to fill up!- but It was another faliure.
When trying verbose boot, there was a LOT of text, filling up the screen multiple times, and when it failed it immediately cut power & reboot so I couldn't get any capture of what the last screen of text was. I assume there's a way of safely getting a boot log file somehow?

Back