Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

If anyone is running 64GB on their ProArt with XMP enabled, please let us know if macOS boots and whether any BIOS or OpenCore modifications were necessary.
z790 ProArt 13900K:
BIOS 1303, OC 097 2x32GB G.Skill 5600MHz XMP on -- no adjustments needed. Worked OOB with original BIOS as well (I believe it was 0814).

z690 ProArt 13700K:
BIOS 2703, OC 097 2x32GB G.Skill 5600MHz XMP on -- no adjustments needed, system has AI overclock enabled. Also worked with BIOS 2103.

j

If anyone is running 64GB on their ProArt with XMP enabled, please let us know if macOS boots and whether any BIOS or OpenCore modifications were necessary.
Tried many time, never succeeded.
MacOS 12.7, G.SKILL Trident Z5 Series 2 x 32GB DDR5 6000

Are all 4 memory modules the same make and model?

If you look at release notes for various BIOS versions you’ll see that some of them improve memory compatibility.
Yes

Hi again,
So further to my Ventura build of some months ago (in this thread) which has been running happily (apart from the fairly often boot faliures which usually clear after a reboot or two, oh and Windows occasionally deciding not to appear in the bootloader disk list), I've been trying to update from Ventura to Sonoma. Thankfully I'm well prepared in case of upgrade faliure so it's not a big deal (yet) that it's not been successful. I'm just perplexed as to why.

So I firstly updated Opencore to the latest version, of course (now the EFI folder appears as a boot option and won't go away no matter what I do, but never mind), then my first attempt was a standard 'in-place' update using the Install Sonoma app. This naturally failed; the first reboot led to a static "white apple logo on a black background" with no progress bar, and then all attempt to boot into MacOS after that failed and I had to restore (by reinstalling Ventura from the recovery partition).

My second attempt was by creating a bootable Sonoma update USB stick, following the instructions on this very forum, and copying my trusted-and-true EFI folder from my main MacOS disk's EFI to the USB's EFI. This also failed in an identical manner to the first; back to the frozen apple logo again when I tried to boot.

What elementery (or complex) detail could I be missing?

Edit: forgot yet again that I could boot verbose and see the error(s); attached.
(Yes I know it mentions an invalid Ventura WiFi kext, I assumed that if i was able to install Sonoma at all, then I'd sort out those kexts afterwards. What i'm concerned with was being unable to even start the installation at all)

Attachments

• Sonoma USB boot faliure.jpg
    Sonoma USB boot faliure.jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Might be an idea to remove/disable your Ventura wireless kext(s).
I thought it wouldn't be nessecary to do that sort of thing at this stage but I've given it a go anyway. To my surprise the verbose boot script didn't even change. It still mentions the exact same errors, including the Ventura WiFi kext. I had used the Opencore Configurator to remove it from the kext list in config & I also deleted those non-Sonoma kexts from the folder on the USB's EFI. I don't know why it's still citing that file in the error as if I've changed nothing.
Urgh, am I going to have to create a new EFI folder all over again from scratch for this OS update?

@RetroRocker

The screenshot you posted shows that AirportItlwm-Ventura is being injected into Sonoma, which we need to avoid.

This is why we use MinKernel and MaxKernel in config.plist to inject these types of version-dependent kexts into only the correct version of macOS.

MinKernel for this kext should be 22.0.0 and MaxKernel should be 22.99.99

I thought it wouldn't be nessecary to do that sort of thing at this stage but I've given it a go anyway. To my surprise the verbose boot script didn't even change. It still mentions the exact same errors, including the Ventura WiFi kext. I had used the Opencore Configurator to remove it from the kext list in config & I also deleted those non-Sonoma kexts from the folder on the USB's EFI. I don't knwo why it's still citing that file in the error as if I've changed nothing.
Urgh, am I going to have to create a new EFI folder all over again from scratch for this OS update?
If you use OpenCore Configurator please ensure that only one EFI partition is mounted. Otherwise changes will be made to the wrong config.plist.

Also ensure that your system is booting from the correct disk if there is more than one disk with an EFI partition.

Hi Casey! Thanks once again for your invaluable help.
If you use OpenCore Configurator please ensure that only one EFI partition is mounted. Otherwise changes will be made to the wrong config.plist.

Also ensure that your system is booting from the correct disk if there is more than one disk with an EFI partition.
So that's the Min/Max for the Sonoma kext, yes? What should the min/max be for the Ventura one? Just so that I'm certain.

I have been careful to only edit the config.plist that I want to, and I can see by selectively loading one after the other that changes have only been made to the new one on the USB stick. I actually have little txt files in my EFI folders saying "This is [insert disk name here]" so I don't make that mistake.
The idea that Opencore Configurator can edit the wrong one is quite scary.
The USB stick config has "AirportItlwn-Sonoma.kext" listed and the main MacOS drive config has "AirportItlwm-Ventura.kext" listed.
Probably a stupid question, but should I be at all concerned that none of the kexts listed have blue ticks next to them in either case?

I thought it wouldn't be nessecary to do that sort of thing at this stage but I've given it a go anyway. To my surprise the verbose boot script didn't even change. It still mentions the exact same errors, including the Ventura WiFi kext. I had used the Opencore Configurator to remove it from the kext list in config & I also deleted those non-Sonoma kexts from the folder on the USB's EFI. I don't know why it's still citing that file in the error as if I've changed nothing.
also make sure to reset nvram when you make any changes :)

Back