Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I use a SSDT that changes device ID to 0x73FF. I purchased an XFX model on sale at $250. This is more than adequate for my needs (I don’t play video games).

The 67xx is not compatible, but some places like Amazon and Best Buy have 6800s on sale. These are very tempting; in fact I purchased a 6800 at the same time as the 6650 for use in a different system. The 6800 was less than $400.
Yeah, I want a 6800 XT since it has 16GB of RAM. But I'll need to upgrade my case so it will fit! haha! PSU, and maybe more, and the cards in Canada are still $800ish.

If anyone is running 64GB on their ProArt with XMP enabled, please let us know if macOS boots and whether any BIOS or OpenCore modifications were necessary.
I had XMP working with 2x 32GB DDR5 5200MHz sticks (they are sold as 5200MHz, I'm not overclocking) on my ProArt Z690, seemed great... so I bought 2 more sticks of RAM, and the board couldn't handle XMP on all 4 and would freeze within a couple of hours or less... pretty frustrating.So I'm running underclocked 4800MHz 128GB (4 x 32GB), and it's super stable... If I get bored over the holidays, I might try to upgrade the BIOS to see if the current version will work with XMP on all 4 sticks with Thunderbolt 3 devices with TB2 daisy-chained.. maybe the ProArt Z790 is more stable for XMP? The specs of the board don't seem much better except for the RAM abilities, 128GB 6000MHz for Z690 and 192GB 7200MHz for Z790, so maybe that was where they put the most work in the upgrade.

.. maybe the ProArt Z790 is more stable for XMP? The specs of the board don't seem much better except for the RAM abilities, 128GB 6000MHz for Z690 and 192GB 7200MHz for Z790, so maybe that was where they put the most work in the upgrade.
there are a few things to consider:
  • Z790 generally speaking will always net higher speed for 2 slots as well as support for 4 slots at higher speed
  • IMC (integrated memory controller) is into the CPU itself so, along with a board supporting a certain speed, you will be needing a decent IMC, too, and the ones integrated into 13th gen are better than the ones into 12th gen
  • Tweaking RAM timings and voltages might help towards getting a higher speed than a baseline 4800MT/s even if not the same as XMP
It’s pretty complex as there are several variables but it all comes down to those three points

there are a few things to consider:
  • Z790 generally speaking will always net higher speed for 2 slots as well as support for 4 slots at higher speed
  • IMC (integrated memory controller) is into the CPU itself so, along with a board supporting a certain speed, you will be needing a decent IMC, too, and the ones integrated into 13th gen are better than the ones into 12th gen
  • Tweaking RAM timings and voltages might help towards getting a higher speed than a baseline 4800MT/s even if not the same as XMP
It’s pretty complex as there are several variables but it all comes down to those three points
Yeah, I tried manually adding 5200MHz actual spec instead of the "safe-mode" 4800MHz that it defaults to, without adjusting anything else as I don't wanna fry anything with overvoltage :) .. and same problem, freezes within an hour or less.

I'm running a 13th gen i5-13600K, fyi

ya i tried manually adding 5200MHz actual spec instead of the "safe-mode" 4800MHz that it defaults to, without adjusting anything else as i don't wanna fry anything with overvoltage :) .. and same problem, freezes within an hour or less

I'm running a 13th gen i5-13600K, fyi
That’s not how it works. Need to adjust voltages accordingly. Keep in mind XMP also changes voltages so it’s not like you are gonna fry anything just from bumping voltages from the ones set at 4800MT/s.

2x32GB @ 6400MHz work here plus XMP ON. Both on BIOS 2703 and 28something. Please be aware I am running a kit. @fabrik did you purchase another set of 32GB memory? So it is not a manufacturer paired match, right? Which slots did you install the sticks to? Did you try booting windows? Does it work?
So now I have 4 sticks. All the four sticks are the same brand and model 6000mhz. (With 2 sticks I had the XMP on, but with 4 I can't boot if it's on). I just realized I have the bios at 2602. Maybe this is part of the problem. On windows didn't work as well.
Do you think because I'm using 4 sticks I will have a problem if I update the bios?
You are way more experienced than me please advise. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
If anyone is running 64GB on their ProArt with XMP enabled, please let us know if macOS boots and whether any BIOS or OpenCore modifications were necessary.
I updated to Sonoma 14.2
Few things I noticed (I had to have acquantia forced) no matter what, with no boot argument for ethernet. [dk...]
Bluetooth is working flawlessly (faster). Wifi is gone because I didn't change back to Intel. (it's too much work for me at this point to dissemble everything).
I have 2 6800XT working very well and fast. I have 3 monitors working very well as well.
About the memory, I had 32GB (2x16) after the installation of 32Gb more, it got rebooting. So I went to the bios and turned XMP off. I noticed after reading the m4rk0 question, that I have bios version 2602.

I would appreciate your advice on what to do next to have 64GB mem working with XMP. Thank you for everything you do for this community.

Last edited:
I'm running 96GB (2x48GB) @ 5600MHz with XMP enabled without any issues.

I updated to Sonoma 14.2
Few things I noticed (I had to have acquantia forced) no matter what, with no boot argument for ethernet. [dk...]
Bluetooth is working flawlessly (faster). Wifi is gone because I didn't change back to Intel. (it's too much work for me at this point to dissemble everything).
I have 2 6800XT working very well and fast. I have 3 monitors working very well as well.
About the memory, I had 32GB (2x16) after the installation of 32Gb more, it got rebooting. So I went to the bios and turned XMP off. I noticed after reading the m4rk0 question, that I have bios version 2602.

I would appreciate your advice on what to do next to have 64GB mem working with XMP. Thank you for everything you do for this community.
Are all 4 memory modules the same make and model?

If you look at release notes for various BIOS versions you’ll see that some of them improve memory compatibility.

A friend of mine has a z790 ROG Strix (not ProArt), and he apparently had to replace his RAM a few days ago because he had 4 sticks of RAM running XMP. He said the computer store told him XMP wasn't designed to work with 4 sticks, which seems wrong to me since XMP is manufacturer's specs for stable performance. I mean why did you write the XMP speeds on the box if the RAM can run at that speed?
I think he had the latest BIOS, and he's not running hackintosh at all. So this is all Windows and Windows 11 based problems with the hardware. But I don't think it's the OS.

Back