Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@CaseySJ

Hi, can I ask your opinion on a matter please (it's a weird one lol).

Got a Z790 Creator to test/use besides my Z690 Creator but every now and then my hack is stuck at the Apple logo, both when loading macOS installer (Ventura) and when trying to boot an internal SSD with a working macOS.

For the first few attempts after installing the board, it happened continuously. Then, at some point, it let me install macOS. Now it happens every now and then. No overclock. It happened using stock BIOS settings (except for the few modifications which are necessary: disable serial port and so on). It happened when trying to boot Sonoma installed on the Z690 as well as a fresh installation on this machine.
  • do you think it has anything to do with CFG Lock? Yes, both the tested BIOSes, 1501 & 1402, have CFG Lock in place
  • or, maybe, you think it might have something to do with the board itself? ...which would be odd as it always booted Windows and seems to be stable as well (did some heavy stress tests for CPU / IMC / RAM)
This is the verbose output I took once, when trying to boot a working macOS installation off of my Z690 Creator:

The verbose output I got when trying to boot a Ventura installer is different, but I guess they are related to the same root cause.

Thank you.
Dortania has a troubleshooting section for exactly this. Would be good to start here. Perhaps one of the booter quirks can fix this...

Last edited:
Have you seen this:

We should upgrade to latest version of OpenCore first (described in one of the last steps of above post).
Yeah, I did, I created a new boot USB drive (Sonoma) and then I was able to fix the interrupted upgrade. If you could help me with a different problem. The problem is, that I bought 32GB (6000MHZ) and everything was working fine. I added 32GB and now if I leave the XMP on, I can't get to Sonoma, if I turn off, the memories get 4800MHZ. I want to keep (6000mhz). Thanks

Has anyone updated to Sonoma 14.2 yet? Any issues we should be aware of?

Last week I replaced a Radeon RX 580 with a Radeon RX 6650XT on my Z390 Designare that is now connected via DisplayPort to a Cooler Master GP27U 4K mini-LED monitor with 160Hz refresh rate. Sonoma also supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) on this monitor (not with RX 580, which is why I've replaced it with 6650XT).

View attachment 575557
There is no flicker or any other visual artifact. In fact, mini-LED with 576 local dimming zones is so amazing that I don't think I can go back. Even though there are 5K monitors out there, they would be a step down after this. (Latest Cooler Master firmware needed, which solves all local-dimming-related artifacts that I experienced previously.)
Oh, interesting. Does the RX 6650 XT require any additional boot arguments or modifications compared to the 6600.

I was hoping the 6750 XT would have worked with macOS, but I don't think yet? I heard about Noot or something, but I didn't want to buy it if too much tinkering is required, just in case it no longer works on the next macOS. But the 6750 XT with 192bit vs 128 of the 6600 and 12GB of RAM would be great upgrade as I use multiple monitors, and it seems my video RAM fills up within a day or 2 if I keep my computer running.

UPDATE: if you setup a hot-corner to make the displays go to sleep, you can refresh your video RAM within seconds it seems, Woo!

Last edited:
how fast of thunderbolt port it 4000mb right ?

oh interesting, 6650 xt, does that require any additional boot arguments or modifications compared to the 6600
I use a SSDT that changes device ID to 0x73FF. I purchased an XFX model on sale at $250. This is more than adequate for my needs (I don’t play video games).

i was hoping the 6750 xt would would but i don't think yet? i heard about noot or something but i didn't wanna buy it if too much tinkering is required just in case it no longer works on the next macOS, but the 6750 xt with 192bit vs 128 of the 6600 and 12GB of ram would be great upgrade as i use multiple monitors and it seems my video ram fills up within a day or 2 if i keep my computer running
The 67xx is not compatible, but some places like Amazon and Best Buy have 6800s on sale. These are very tempting; in fact I purchased a 6800 at the same time as the 6650 for use in a different system. The 6800 was less than $400.

Yeah, I did, I created a new boot USB drive (Sonoma) and then I was able to fix the interrupted upgrade. If you could help me with a different problem. The problem is, that I bought 32GB (6000MHZ) and everything was working fine. I added 32GB and now if I leave the XMP on, I can't get to Sonoma, if I turn off, the memories get 4800MHZ. I want to keep (6000mhz). Thanks

If anyone is running 64GB on their ProArt with XMP enabled, please let us know if macOS boots and whether any BIOS or OpenCore modifications were necessary.

Has anyone updated to Sonoma 14.2 yet? Any issues we should be aware of?
No issues with Sonoma 14.2. It’s a relatively minor update from 14.1.

If anyone is running 64GB on their ProArt with XMP enabled, please let us know if macOS boots and whether any BIOS or OpenCore modifications were necessary.
2x32GB @ 6400MHz work here plus XMP ON. Both on BIOS 2703 and 28something. Please be aware I am running a kit. @fabrik did you purchase another set of 32GB memory? So it is not a manufacturer paired match, right? Which slots did you install the sticks to? Did you try booting windows? Does it work?

Back