Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hi All. I'm wondering if anyone here has gotten a 6000 series GPU working in slot 2? I've been running my ProArt with a 6900 XT in slot 1 without issues but have recently been trying to get a Nvidia going in Slot 1 for Windows/Linux ML work and moving the 6900 XT to a riser cable in slot 2. It boots to a black screen, so it seems like the card is unrecognized in slot 2. I've looked at WhateverGreen options but I don't see any config options related to slots.

* Using agpdmod=pikera
* Slot 1 is disabled
* Running latest Whatevergreen/Opencore
* Booted with debug lilu/whatevergreen but didn't see any debug messages in the logs
* I have a Radeon Pro WX 4100 which works fine in slot 2 and the 6900 XT works fine in Windows in slot 2, so it seems like this is a WhateverGreen/6900XT issue

Anyone think it worth trying to set the 6900XT device-id in slot 2 device-properties? My understanding is this is just for appearance.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Monterey 12.6.5 / OpenCore 0.9.4
Proart z690 Bios 1505
MacPro7,1

Last edited:
Hi All. I'm wondering if anyone here has gotten a 6000 series GPU working in slot 2? I've been running my ProArt with a 6900 XT in slot 1 without issues but have recently been trying to get a Nvidia going in Slot 1 for Windows/Linux ML work and moving the 6900 XT to a riser cable in slot 2. It boots to a black screen, so it seems like the card is unrecognized in slot 2. I've looked at WhateverGreen options but I don't see any config options related to slots.

* Using agpdmod=pikera
* Slot 1 is disabled
* Booted with debug lilu/whatevergreen but didn't see any debug messages in the logs
* I have a Radeon Pro WX 4100 which works fine in slot 2 and the 6900 XT works fine in Windows in slot 2, so it seems like this is a WhateverGreen/6900XT issue

Anyone think it worth trying to set the 6900XT device-id in slot 2 device-properties? My understanding is this is just for appearance.

Proart z690 Bios 1505
MacPro7,1
Maybe try with the 4100 in slot 1 (as well as the 6900 in slot 2) to get it to boot, then take a look at the device paths?

I've been running my ProArt with a 6900 XT in slot 1 without issues but have recently been trying to get a Nvidia going in Slot 1 for Windows/Linux ML work and moving the 6900 XT to a riser cable in slot 2.

* Slot 1 is disabled
Bifurcation may not work properly if the top slot is disabled or empty. Try with something in slot 1 (the nVidia card disabled by a SSDT for macOS, a NIC, a NVMe SSD,…) and x8x8 bifurcation in BIOS.

Quick update

BIOS 2703 works fairly well :mrgreen:

GB.png

Could push it further but I don't feel like it. I guess it is enough... for now.

On mine XMP makes it crash with this BIOS - do you have it enabled ?
Which RAM do you have?
Yes, XMP enabled. It worked with 2602 as well.

Well, it really depends on the ram and how much it pushes the MB + BIOS + CPU memory controller; either you downgrade BIOS or, if you want to troubleshoot it, you can enable XMP and then take pictures of the relevant changes. Then you set manual memory settings each on its own. But it takes a bit of experience and knowledge to know which settings are more likely to cause instabity.

* Using agpdmod=pikera
* Slot 1 is disabled

Proart z690 Bios 1505
MacPro7,1
I have a RTX 4080 and a 6900 XT in slot 2. Literally very similar build to you with a ProArt as well. I don't have any black screen issues and can dual boot just fine. I have a DisplayPort switcher that I use to make sure that the Nvidia GPU doesn't have an active display output at times. I did the steps to create an SSDT to disable my GPU in slot 1 but I am not sure its working fine as I am still seeing it being detected in system information.

Do you know how I can disable my slot 1 card for good?

Which RAM do you have?
Yes, XMP enabled. It worked with 2602 as well.

Well, it really depends on the ram and how much it pushes the MB + BIOS + CPU memory controller; either you downgrade BIOS or, if you want to troubleshoot it, you can enable XMP and then take pictures of the relevant changes. Then you set manual memory settings each on its own. But it takes a bit of experience and knowledge to know which settings are more likely to cause instabity.
I have

DOMINATOR® PLATINUM RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6200MHz . Geekbench is still very high so I think its OK but RAM seems to be below it's potential.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 6.18.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 6.18.07 PM.png
    327.6 KB · Views: 45
So I picked up an pcie-based aqc113s chip:

This aquantia aqc113s works natively with Macintosh at least with Ventura and Sonoma. I haven’t tested Monterey. But I don’t think it will work with Big Sur. There is No need to have any kernel patches. In fact, it even works natively with apple silicon. Avb mode is enabled.

No issues with instant wake from sleep (at least with apple silicon) like on z690. I have it connected to my real Mac in my thunderbolt to pcie adapter.

And for the first time, my Mac works with AirPlay over 10 gb ethernet, so I can stream audio from my Apple TV (Wi-Fi) and other Airplay enabled devices to my mac (connected via the aqc113s). My Mac is essentially a wireless speaker.

When using the predecessor aqc107 chipset in thunderbolt solutions, some forms of airplay fail…like I couldn’t stream audio from my Apple TV to my Mac. But where the aqc107 failed, the pcie-based aqc113s succeeds.

Last edited:
Back