Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Yes, very stable. I leave my hack on for literally months

Nope

If stability is the priority and you are not willing to debug, I strongly recommend to use tested configurations, possibly using the exact same hardware

I'm using MacPro7,1 but AFAIK most switched to iMacPro1,1
Not sure about the difference in term of performances
hello @biuti thanks for the information.
If you can answer me 2 questions:
What model and brand of memory are you using?

This is all my hardware:
MainBoard: ASUS ProArt Z690-Creator WiFi 6E LGA 1700 ATX PCIe 5.0 DDR5
Audio: Realtek ALC-S1220A
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K - Core i7 12th Gen Alder Lake 12-Core (8P+4E) 3.6 GHz LGA 1700
Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 A-RGB
Graphic: XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT CORE 16 GB GDDR6 HDMI 3xDP RX-68XTALFD9
Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z5 Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000)
WiFi / BT: BCM94360NG Wifi 802.11ac Bluetooth 4.0 Network Card
NVME: WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 WDS100T2X0E
Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe Internal SSD CT4000P3PSSD8
SATA: Crucial BX500 SSD 2.5’’ SATA 1TB
Crucial MX500 SSD 2.5’’ SATA 4TB

Last edited:
I'm testing an OWC Thundebolt 4 model.

11 ports, I borrowed it to see if it would run on the hack.

But I found some problems:
1. slow boot to get through BIOS.
2. USB ports don't work - Ports 3.1

Do I need to make any adjustments to make it work?

I tested it on Windows all ports work very well without problem.

Some help.

This model:

Last edited:
After I updated to Ventura 13.5, my internet connection(BCM94360CD) become extremely slow, do your have this problem?

Here are the speed test results for the new Acasis TBU405-Pro. The only difference I'm seeing between the "Pro" model and the standard TBU405 is the active cooling built in to the unit with a fan.
Hi!

Do you mind to write a little review please??
  • Is the fan noisy?
  • What's the switch used for? Is it for powering the case itself or just the fan inside? (this is a great addition, regardless)
  • Have you had a chance to look closely inside the case? Is there a Realtek chipset as well?

The ProArt performs well. Interesting that the CalDigit TS3 Plus loses significant speed-
It is interesting that you have both TS3 Plus and TS4 - have you noticed any difference other than the speed?
I have a TS3 Plus and it is burning hot when running under macOS; less so, it appears, when used in Windows.

Thanks a lot. :)

PS congratulation on your new MBP 16 M2 Max

Last edited:
Hi!

Do you mind to write a little review please??
  • Is the fan noisy?
  • What's the switch used for? Is it for powering the case itself or just the fan inside? (this is a great addition, regardless)
  • Have you had a chance to look closely inside the case? Is there a Realtek chipset as well?

It is interesting that you have both TS3 Plus and TS4 - have you noticed any difference other than the speed?
I have a TS3 Plus and it is burning hot when running under macOS; less so, it appears, when used in Windows.

Thanks a lot. :)

PS congratulation on your new MBP 16 M2 Max
Sure, I'll write a brief review...

The TBU405_ProM1 model is excellent. I've been editing 4K footage (Red Raptor and Phantom Flex 4K) in native format for the last week. It has performed brilliantly! I have the TBU401 model with the same SN850X 4TB model and the difference in temperature is amazing. While not scientific, I typically leave the TBU401 model plugged into my laptop while I'm editing on the 2019 Mac Pro with the TBU405_Pro. Even after the laptop has been left untouched for an hour, the 401 model is definitely warm, borderline hot to the touch. Whereas after editing the 4K project with raw footage, the 405_Pro stays perfectly cool to the touch. It really is an amazing difference in cooling!

The fan is whisper quiet. I mean it. I cannot tell it's on unless I put the thing to my face so I can feel the air pushing out. The switch simply turns it off. When you first plug it in, the fan defaults to on. The only knock I'd give to this device is the lack of documentation.

As for the TS3 Plus and TS4...
I was completely satisfied with the TS3 Plus on my Z690 ProArt. It works perfectly. The main reason I purchased the TS4 was that it offers a 2.5Gb port that I can use on my 2019 rMBP. There have been some minor hiccups with the TS4 when I plugged it in directly to the rear TB ports of the ProArt, but I think the issues may be related to Maple Ridge NVM firmware.

Hey guys - took my build to get the water cooler replaced and they updated the BIOS without asking . I don’t use Thunderbolt- am I OK otherwise? I know it’s difficult to downgrade . Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

It’s bios 2703

Last edited:
Hey guys - took my build to get the water cooler replaced and they updated the BIOS without asking . I don’t use Thunderbolt- am I OK otherwise? I know it’s difficult to downgrade . Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

It’s bios 2703
I updated and I'm using 2703 without any problem. Do you have a problem?

I don't have it back yet but I heard it broke thunderbolt? Yours is running well? Thanks for the info!!!

I don't have it back yet but I heard it broke thunderbolt? Yours is running well? Thanks for the info!!!
Yes .. everything is working normal. The problem I had in the past, sometimes it happens, but this nothing to do with new BIOS.

Back