Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Has anyone tried the new 24GB and 48GB DIMMs on their Z790 boards? These are "high capacity" DIMMs. We're familiar with:
  • 16GB DIMMs
  • 32GB DIMMs
But now these are available (or soon to be available):
  • 24GB DIMMs
  • 48GB DIMMs
This means:
  • 48GB with 2x24GB DIMMs (instead of 32GB)
  • 192GB with 4x48GB DIMMs (instead of 128GB max)
View attachment 564919

Can confirm that the Corsair Vengeance 192GB (4 x 48GB) set works
Running Ventura 13.4 on a z790 ProArt

Last edited:
Hello again everyone, I thought I'd check in.

So I've assembled all the parts I previously mentioned (new i9 CPU, new cooler, "new" Z690 MoBo, new 32GB RAM, new M.2 SSD's, new PSU, old 5700XT, old case) and I've installed both Win11 and Monterey successfully. Then I updated Monterey to Ventura, also successfully. I won't talk my various mishaps following the process(es); upshot is: OS installations done. Multiboot possible. Good stuff.

However not all is perfect; there is still work to be done- any help would be brilliant.
I'm scouring the forum as best I can for anwsers, but:

1. My Firewire 400 PCIe x2 card doesn't work.
This is something I rather expected as Firewire is very old now and we all know Apple hates supporting anything old when it comes to new OS versions. Without a functioning Firewire port I cannot connect my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 audio interface, which is a major bummer as the whole point of having a dual boot hackintosh is to do music stuff via that interface. I expect I'll need a new interface (USB3?) but it would be nice to at least have one this working until then. :(
The odd thing is that the Pro24 shows up as a Firewire device in "System Information"... it just doesn't do anything.

2. The USB ports.
I'm definitely not using all the ports possible from the MoBo because my old case only has three USB ports (using the U32G1_78 and the USB_E34 headers). Someone did notice this and point out that I can get some un-disabled. This is much more important than I realised, because I use two USB 2.0 midi devices (one hand keyboard and one foot keyboard) and now thanks to needing a mouse & keyboard rather more, I don't have the active USB 2.0 ports to plug them in with. I tried using the "SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-ALL-PORTS.aml" and that just caused much worse issues, so that's not really an option as a fix. :problem:
As far as I can tell according to CaseySJ's MoBo map, I don't need SS09 or HS09 (or HS11? I don't have any RGB to control) So it would be great if I can disable those and enable HS03 & HS04. But of course I need to work out how I'm going to do that... if anyone can point me towards "an idiots guide to editing your USB ports" that would be fantastic.

3. WiFi & Bluetooth
... to be honest they would just be a 'nice to have' seeing as I have the computer running just fine from Ethernet and I don't have any Bluetooth stuff that needs to work on MacOS. So I'm not too bothered about these at the moment. But the efforts to enable these have so far met with faliure (to boot). That's going on the backburner until I have the first two issues sorted. :roll2:

4. Error messages on boot
EDIT: one thing I forgot to mention; I get some messages on bootup, I've no idea if they're significant at all- hopefully someone can tell me? I honestly can't tell if anything's actually affected. Please see image attached to this post.

And that's it. Remarkably few problems all said & done. I really must thank CaseySJ profusely for putting their guide together and all the hard work they've done (and continue to do) around this forum in the name of the Hackintosh. Not to mention everyone else that's part of this community. Awesome stuff. :clap:

Attachments

• PXL_20230706_151059517.jpg
    PXL_20230706_151059517.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Hello again everyone, I thought I'd check in.

So I've assembled all the parts I previously mentioned (new i9 CPU, new cooler, "new" Z690 MoBo, new 32GB RAM, new M.2 SSD's, new PSU, old 5700XT, old case) and I've installed both Win11 and Monterey successfully. Then I updated Monterey to Ventura, also successfully. I won't talk my various mishaps following the process(es); upshot is: OS installations done. Multiboot possible. Good stuff.

However not all is perfect; there is still work to be done- any help would be brilliant.
I'm scouring the forum as best I can for anwsers, but:

This is something I rather expected as Firewire is very old now and we all know Apple hates supporting anything old when it comes to new OS versions. Without a functioning Firewire port I cannot connect my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 audio interface, which is a major bummer as the whole point of having a dual boot hackintosh is to do music stuff via that interface. I expect I'll need a new interface (USB3?) but it would be nice to at least have one this working until then. :(
The odd thing is that the Pro24 shows up as a Firewire device in "System Information"... it just doesn't do anything.

2. The USB ports.
I'm definitely not using all the ports possible from the MoBo because my old case only has three USB ports (using the U32G1_78 and the USB_E34 headers). Someone did notice this and point out that I can get some un-disabled. This is much more important than I realised, because I use two USB 2.0 midi devices (one hand keyboard and one foot keyboard) and now thanks to needing a mouse & keyboard rather more, I don't have the active USB 2.0 ports to plug them in with. I tried using the "SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-ALL-PORTS.aml" and that just caused much worse issues, so that's not really an option as a fix. :problem:
As far as I can tell according to CaseySJ's MoBo map, I don't need SS09 or HS09 (or HS11? I don't have any RGB to control) So it would be great if I can disable those and enable HS03 & HS04. But of course I need to work out how I'm going to do that... if anyone can point me towards "an idiots guide to editing your USB ports" that would be fantastic.

3. WiFi & Bluetooth
... to be honest they would just be a 'nice to have' seeing as I have the computer running just fine from Ethernet and I don't have any Bluetooth stuff that needs to work on MacOS. So I'm not too bothered about these at the moment. But the efforts to enable these have so far met with faliure (to boot). That's going on the backburner until I have the first two issues sorted. :roll2:

And that's it. Remarkably few problems all said & done. I really must thank CaseySJ profusely for putting their guide together and all the hard work they've done (and continue to do) around this forum in the name of the Hackintosh. Not to mention everyone else that's part of this community. Awesome stuff. :clap:

Thanks for that. Must be a case of not finding the most obvious result because I was looking too hard, or something!

Unfortunately I'm not having much luck with it, rather alarmingly my attempt(s) to edit the config.plist file have all resulted in boot faliure. I've followed that guide very carefully so I'm not sure what's going on. I don't see how just editing the USB kext causes the whole thing to fall over.
The bootloader loads up fine, then when I try to boot specifically into MacOS I just get a black screen & white Apple logo with no progress bar, ad infitium.
Thankfully I've got a process by which I can restore the EFI (and/or constituent files) to a known-good one to get back in again, but still, very concerning that this is happening.
I'll see if I can view a verbose output of what's occuring when I attempt to boot.

On the firewire end of things, I realised I'd not tested the Saffire Pro24 in Win11- and what do you know, Focusrite have dropped support for the interface entirely. Brilliant. So I have got to get a new one. :rolleyes: That's another 300 odd quid I've got to spend....

Thanks for that. Must be a case of not finding the most obvious result because I was looking too hard, or something!

Unfortunately I'm not having much luck with it, rather alarmingly my attempt(s) to edit the config.plist file have all resulted in boot faliure. I've followed that guide very carefully so I'm not sure what's going on. I don't see how just editing the USB kext causes the whole thing to fall over.
The bootloader loads up fine, then when I try to boot specifically into MacOS I just get a black screen & white Apple logo with no progress bar, ad infitium.
Thankfully I've got a process by which I can restore the EFI (and/or constituent files) to a known-good one to get back in again, but still, very concerning that this is happening.
I'll see if I can view a verbose output of what's occuring when I attempt to boot.

On the firewire end of things, I realised I'd not tested the Saffire Pro24 in Win11- and what do you know, Focusrite have dropped support for the interface entirely. Brilliant. So I have got to get a new one. :rolleyes: That's another 300 odd quid I've got to spend....
you will have to boot verbose to see what the issue is

Firewire is still supported in Ventura. What is the make and model of the Firewire 400 card? I also suggest running IORegistryExplorer and posting the IOReg file by selecting File -> Save As... This will give us a look under the hood.

2. The USB ports.
Because HS09 and HS11 are already disabled, I disabled SS09 and enabled HS03 in the attached SSDT named:
  • SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS-RR.aml (RR = RetroRocker)
  • Simply disable the existing USB SSDT in config.plist, add an entry for the attached SSDT and copy the file to EFI/OC/ACPI folder

3. WiFi & Bluetooth
Are you using a Broadcom WiFi/BT card such as Fenvi FV-T919? Or the built-in Intel module? Have you seen this post?

4. Error messages on boot
EDIT: one thing I forgot to mention; I get some messages on bootup, I've no idea if they're significant at all- hopefully someone can tell me? I honestly can't tell if anything's actually affected. Please see image attached to this post.
Those OCS Schema warnings can safely be ignored. However, you can eliminate the warnings by removing the relevant entries from the config.plist XML file by opening the file in a text editor and removing the highlighted lines:
Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 1.41.38 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 1.41.56 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 1.42.21 PM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS-RR.aml
    709 bytes · Views: 20
Thanks so much for responding CaseySJ. Good news:
Those OCS Schema warnings can safely be ignored. However, you can eliminate the warnings by removing the relevant entries from the config.plist XML file by opening the file in a text editor and removing the highlighted lines:
Glad to hear those messages weren't regarding anything important. I updated the Opencore bootloader and the 'warnings' ceased to appear. So that's that.

Because HS09 and HS11 are already disabled, I disabled SS09 and enabled HS03 in the attached SSDT named:
  • SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS-RR.aml (RR = RetroRocker)
  • Simply disable the existing USB SSDT in config.plist, add an entry for the attached SSDT and copy the file to EFI/OC/ACPI folder
Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. Confession: I got curious as to how you could put together that file so quickly, and so, once I downloaded it, I opened it in a text editor. I was so surprised at how simple the file was! So I edited it. Since my previous post I realised that I also had no need for SS01 & SS02 as I'm only ever going to have my USB keyboard & mouse plugged into those sockets, so I disabled/removed them from your file and replaced them with HS04 and HS05 (and if they ever change to USB3 devices, I can simply swap them out again). I implemented the change and post-reboot everything went without a hitch. Now I have all the USB ports I require. Awesome.

Are you using a Broadcom WiFi/BT card such as Fenvi FV-T919? Or the built-in Intel module? Have you seen this post?
I'm not certain if that was the exact same guide I was using previously to try and fix the WiFi & BT, but after carefully following the steps (and being sure to ONLY add the specific kexts mentioned and nothing else) I got both WiFi & BT functioning. Amazing. I feel like a bit of an idiot for not finding the guide before, but c'est la vie.

Not so good news:
Firewire is still supported in Ventura. What is the make and model of the Firewire 400 card? I also suggest running IORegistryExplorer and posting the IOReg file by selecting File -> Save As... This will give us a look under the hood.
I wish I knew where that Firewire card had come from, but alas the card has no helpful markings on it and it was many years ago, so as I cannot find in my email history the original purchase details I have no idea.
However I can of course provide the IOReg file as you've requested. If it's any help at all, that would be brilliant.

Attachments

• RetroRocker’s iMac.ioreg
    5.9 MB · Views: 29
...I was so surprised at how simple the file was! So I edited it. Since my previous post I realised that I also had no need for SS01 & SS02 as I'm only ever going to have my USB keyboard & mouse plugged into those sockets, so I disabled/removed them from your file and replaced them with HS04 and HS05 (and if they ever change to USB3 devices, I can simply swap them out again). I implemented the change and post-reboot everything went without a hitch. Now I have all the USB ports I require. Awesome.
Glad to hear it!

I wish I knew where that Firewire card had come from, but alas the card has no helpful markings on it and it was many years ago, so as I cannot find in my email history the original purchase details I have no idea.
However I can of course provide the IOReg file as you've requested. If it's any help at all, that would be brilliant.
The Firewire card is being recognized. It uses a Via VT6315 controller based on Device and Vendor IDs. I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for your Firewire device (if it requires drivers).

Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 4.25.04 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 4.25.10 AM.png

I get the same when using the 10G port and now just use the 2.5G. If I need to use the 10G to transfer files, I make sure to change it before leaving PC idle

I get the same when using the 10G port and now just use the 2.5G. If I need to use the 10G to transfer files, I make sure to change it before leaving PC idle
Hi - for the record, sleep does not work on my Z690 Creator either when a cable is connected to the 10Gb port... it is so annoying. It seemed to me that other people had it working, at least on the Z690 platform.

Back