Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

uhm... My Metal score is around 180K but I have an 6800XT not a 6900XT... so probably with iMacPro1,1 and 6900XT I should gain a better score.
My signature card topped at ~196k, and that's the highest I have seen so far (lowest ~186-192k). That's on both MacPro & iMacPro.

I've chosen that sysdef because I was previously using it already, and, also, because it needs less kexts than MacPro7,1. But I've not thought to special performances. Anyway, I use some Adobe programs extensively: mainly Ps&Lr&Br&In, and I didn't have any issues so far. If you wanna me to test something under Pr, I'm available.
It would be interesting to know why it lead CaseySJ to use it. IIRC he used to use iMacPro before it.
Adobe Pr&Me: i just been owned by it. I usually use Pr&Me, and at times they crash. Just randomly. Sometimes I can process a long queue in Me, some others it crashes. There isn't a pattern. OTOH, 15.x versions worked painlessly. It sucks. WindowServer crashes, system hangs and have to reset. EFI is based off of CaseySJ's and I haven't really done anything odd to it.

At the moment (Ventura 13.3.1a) with manual sleep (I haven't had the time to test for automatic sleep), the sleep/wake cycle is normal with 10Gbe connected.
I have updated to Ventura 13.3.1a and my 10GbE port is connected to a 10GbE switch. Both auto and manual sleep are still functioning for me.
It must be my system then... I upgraded to OC 0.9.2 and installed 13.3.1a at the same time, and it started to give me troubles. Tried a parallel installation with iMacPro sysdef to give Adobe Pr+Me a go: couldn't fix it and have random sleep issues as well. Oh well.

BIOS v. 9901 if you have NOT updated the ME yet.
Thank you...I'm on planning stages and checking the eventual risks and/or issues on kext's or configuration.
My BIOS still on 1720 version....and didnt update ME cause I don't run windows on it. Also K or KF, never used the KF version.

Last edited:
What was the boot-arg -ctrsmt under NVRAM->boot-args for again. Unfortunately I forgot.
Sorry. Done, found it, see CpuTopologyRebuild.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know why it lead CaseySJ to use it. IIRC he used to use iMacPro before it.
The explanation, given somewhere in one of the Z690 threads, is that @CaseySJ expects MacPro7,1 SMBIOS to be supported until x86 is eventually dropped, while support for the already discontinued iMacPro1,1 may be dropped earlier.
But in the very early days of Z690 hacking, before a CPUFriend data provider was added, iMacPro1,1 was found to provide better performance "out of the box" than MacPro7,1 and made for a slightly leaner setup (does not need RestrictEvents).

Nowadays using iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 should essentially be a matter of personal preference—unless one wants to run Mojave to retain support for 32-bit apps/plugins, which mandates iMacPro1,1.

@maxxx
the one I made and I think attached to my first thread (which does seem to be working) is more-or-less just like yours, EXCEPT I don't have what I'm assuming are conditional arguments... mine doesn't have the "If (CondRefof...)" and "If (Land (Land (CondRefof...)" but just goes straight to "Scope (\_SB.PC00.LPCB.EC0) and from there on out it's the same.

I apologize for not being versed enough (yet) but might you clarify if that syntax is actually necessary?

Thanks so very much!
J
In my case, I need it. If I dont put the condition, it wont boot. I think there is conflict of EC0 in my case. I would say it's safer to put the condition in place.

Thanks

while we're talking about sleep/wake, my hackintosh keep waking up after 2 min, with CNVW waking it up. the wifi card is BCM9430NG.

}
}

[/CODE]
My rig hasnt been able to sleep for a long time, I follow CaseySJ to the letter and somehow mine can't sleep. I was able to resolve the problem by adding MCHC definition to definition. Now sleep is working fine, all fans and RGB lighthing are off and PSU enter sleep mode as well.

1683629103871.png

Code:
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "ACDT", "MCHCSBUS", 0x00000000)
{
    External (_SB_.PC00.SBUS, DeviceObj)

/*** adding MCHC block */  
External (_SB_.PC00, DeviceObj)

Scope (_SB.PC00)
    {
        Device (MCHC)
        {
            Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
            Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
            {
                If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
                {
                    Return (0x0F)
                }
                Else
                {
                    Return (Zero)
                }
            }
        }
    }
  /* MCHC Block end */

Device (_SB.PC00.SBUS.BUS0)
    {
        Name (_CID, "smbus")  // _CID: Compatible ID
        Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
        Device (DVL0)
        {
            Name (_ADR, 0x57)  // _ADR: Address
            Name (_CID, "diagsvault")  // _CID: Compatible ID
            Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
            {
                If (!Arg2)
                {
                    Return (Buffer (One)
                    {
                         0x57                                             // W
                    })
                }

Return (Package (0x02)
                {
                    "address",
                    0x57
                })
            }
        }

Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
        {
            If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
            {
                Return (0x0F)
            }
            Else
            {
                Return (Zero)
            }
        }
    }
}

@CaseySJ @ffjigft and anyone else on this thread with this board and Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 devices.. just curious, as my hackintosh is running so smoothly now (wow that took a month, haha, and thank you both so much for all your hard work!!), as I understand the only reason TB2 devices are working is because the Thunderbolt is being spoofed with the EFI config..

so.........

I installed Windows and it seems there's no way I'm getting Windows support with TB1 & TB2 devices.
So.... anyone know of a way to spoof the Thunderbolt to Titan Ridge in Windows, or Linux or any other OS?

"
Thunderbolt
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi has an on-board Thunderbolt 4 controller in the form of Intel's JHL8540. Although not fully supported by macOS at this time, it works quite well by spoofing its NHI sub-device (Native Host Interface) to Titan Ridge. Hot plug, sleep, and wake have been quite successful in (limited) tests performed thus far. Older Thunderbolt devices such as Thunderbolt 2 and those with an Alpine Ridge JHL6240 controller may not hot plug, but they should work when connected before boot.

Update 14 Jan 2022: After more careful tests, it appears that either one (a) soft reboot or (b) one sleep/wake cycle is necessary to enable the controller after each cold start. After this, the controller is functional even when the system is shut down and warm restarted (i.e. without unplugging it from the wall or flipping PSU switch to off).
"
I'm now daily using a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre. The audio interface uses a Intel DSL2210 Thunderbolt 1 controller (launched in 2011, runs in pcie 2.0*4).

Here is my case:
  • Clarett connected to Proart Z690 directly with TB3-2 adapter: after each "physical" unplugge and plugge, a cold boot is required; I need to turn off my power supply (NOT the power button on chassis), wait until the light of LAN port die out (rest "charge" in power supply cleared), and then turn on for other steps. For other cases, make sure Clarett is turned on before the kit, and the card would work flawlessly under Windows 10.
  • Clarett daisy-chained to HP Thunderbolt 3 dock: compatibility improved in several aspects. For unplugge and plugge, cold boot is no longer required. Although the device would not show up in Thunderbolt control center, device manager would recognize Clarett 2Pre correctly, and there would appear an option to reject the device (jut like usb flash disk).
I am not able to test more. However, I'm quite confident to say that a TB3 dock would help to improve conpatibility in most cases.

Hello,

I dropped in new processor i9 13900KF into existing Z690i/12900K, EFI/BIOS, P+E core are enable with HT is enable too. However the Mac said Hyper-Threading is disable, anyone seen the same thing?

1683707189528.png

I cannot count the number of users who have reported the same non-issue: That's the way it works. The Intel version of macOS cannot handle and properly report on an hybrid architecture, so all threads have to be passed as "cores". 2*8P + 16E = 32T

I cannot count the number of users who have reported the same non-issue: That's the way it works. The Intel version of macOS cannot handle and properly report on an hybrid architecture, so all threads have to be passed as "cores". 2*8P + 16E = 32T
Raptor Lake (13th Gen) and Alder Lake (12th Gen) is socket compatible, same P+E Core architecture.
Somehow the MacOS is able to identify correctly with the 12th Gen and behaving differently on 13th Gen. I understand this is MacOS was never designed to work with this processor, I'm just curious to what differentiate them.

1683727345798.png

Back