Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

My Z790 Setup. I would like to both give information about my experience, and also I need help regarding the problems and possible solutions for them. Thanks again to @CaseySJ for another awesome guide and ongoing volunteer support to the community. Also thanks everyone who invested time to share their knowledge and experience in this thread.

Components (after I have an unknown hardware problem either related to CPU or motherboard with my Z390 Designare setup, I moved on to the Z790):
  • ASUS Z790 ProArt Creator WiFi
  • Intel i5-13600K
  • Sapphire Pulse RX 5500XT
  • Seasonic Focus GX 80+ 850W
  • WD Black SN850 500GB (macOS Ventura)
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Windows 11 Pro)
  • Broadcom BCM94360CS2 Bluetooth + WiFi module with a PCIe adapter

Peripherals:
  • Apple Studio Display VESA
  • Apple Magic Keyboard 2
  • Apple Magic TrackPad 2

OpenCore setup and details:
  • I started the install (macOS Ventura 13.1) with 0.8.3 from Z690 EFI from this guide, using MacPro7,1.
  • macOS SSD was installed on the second M.2 slot on the motherboard, which resulted in kernel panics AFTER the install, so moving it to the first slot (under GPU slot) solved this issues. Moving Windows 11 Pro to second slot doesn't affect any EFI information as the Windows updates don't affect macOS or Windows boot. So it's important for anyone to place their NVMe drive to the first slot to avoid any issue. (Also NVMEFix.kext was initially enabled, this is disabled, some of the Kernel Panics were related to that as well)
  • macOS updates were not available initially, adding revpatch=auto,sbvmm,asset to boot-args solved this. I'm not sure if this necessary anymore, I will try without them when the Ventura 13.4 is released.
  • Broadcom Bluetooth works. Initially I had problems with pairing between Windows and macOS, so I used with USB cable plugged in until I solved that problem recently (more on to that later).
  • All Bluetooth capabilities works with Broadcom module: AirDrop, AirPlay, Continuity, Universal Control, Handoff, Continuity Camera & Microphone, Universal Clipboard and Unlock with Apple Watch. I didn't tried Sidecar so this is one thing that may not work (I'm not sure if it may work with Apple Studio Display).
  • Each time macOS unlocked with Apple Watch, Bluetooth has a crash report (EXC_GUARD Namespace LIBSYSTEM, Code 2 Application Triggered Fault), although it works.
  • Aquantia LAN works. Intel LAN was working, now it has problems (not displayed in the System Information and nothing happens when connected to that port).
  • Sleep/wake works with some problems. Especially if XMP is enabled, it doesn't wake and on the reboot it doesn't POST (CPU POST debug LED is lit). System POSTs only after CMOS reset.
  • Currently on macOS Venture 13.3.1 and OpenCore 0.9.1

Dual Boot Windows & macOS Ventura Bluetooth Pairing (setting up Bootcamp drivers on Windows, works on Windows 11):

Guide: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ws.2338479/page-2?post=31026966#post-31026966
If you follow this guide, your C:\ will rename to BOOTCAMP:\ and macOS can share Bluetooth pairing keys easily without any manual work. Just to make sure, first boot macOS and disconnect any Bluetooth device (except maybe AirPods if you have one, as this is paired through iCloud), then re-pair them in Windows and pair macOS last.

Bootcamp Control Panel (and drivers) enables:
  • Apple Magic Keyboard brightness and volume keys (you can set them to use by default or combination with the FN keys).
  • Apple Magic TrackPad gestures and settings.
  • Apple Studio Display brightness and color profile settings.
  • Broadcom WiFi and Bluetooth drivers.

Apple Studio Display:
  • Apple Studio Display works with 2 DisplayPort 1.4 cable connected from GPU to DP IN 1 and DP IN 2 inputs on the Z790 motherboard, then both Thunderbolt/USB-C outputs can output a DSC signal needed for Apple Studio Display. Asus supplies 1 short DisplayPort cable, you need to buy another one.
  • Make sure to set BIOS setting Advanced -> System Agent Configuration (SA) -> Graphics -> Primary Display to Auto if you set it to PEG Slot before.
  • Camera works with Center Stage.
  • Speakers and Microphones are working but you need to disable GPU Audio from OpenCore settings (From Device Properties, add # symbol before the PciRoot(0x0).... identifier for the GPU Audio). You also need to create a custom USB Port mapping so USB hub of the Apple Studio Display is enabled for both USB 3 and USB 2 devices all the time (without the custom mapping it may work randomly, especially in the first boot but after sleep/wake you may loose them). Easiest way to do a custom USB port mapping is through Windows with USBToolbox.
  • Apple Fitness+ works over AirPlay. This is a surprising news and I didn't saw any information anywhere about this (you heard it first time here folks). So if you have a hackintosh setup or a MacBook which doesn't support Apple Fitness+ through AirPlay, using Apple Studio Display (through its A13 Bionic Chip) solves this problem.
  • With the Bootcamp setup, Bootcamp Control Panel will be installed and through that you can change Apple Studio Display brightness and color profile. If you have Apple (Magic) Keyboard brightness keys are also working.
  • Even without bootcamp setup, display (speakers, microphone, camera) works with Windows (although no brightness settings etc.). 1440p gaming is incredible on this display, even though with 60hz refresh rate and slow response times, graphics looks so sharp and colors are so vivid I felt like I upgraded my graphics card.
  • Dual monitor setup works through the second Thunderbolt/USB-C port. I didn't tried to connect the second monitor through the DisplayPort of the dGPU. I'm also not sure if dual Apple Studio Display setup would work (possibly?).

What remains to be solved:
  • Intel i226V LAN. but it's not necessary as long as Aquantia works, still I would like to fix this problem.
  • Sleep/Wake. I'm not sure why disabling XMP solves this problem, but I would like to be able to enable XMP without any wake issues.
  • USB devices connected to Apple Studio Display is not working after wake even though there is a custom USB port map. Any other USB device/hub works, including Bluetooth.
If anybody have some ideas/solutions to the problems, I will appreciate it.

Intel ended tb1/2 support with Maple Ridge NVM36 and above.

In fact, according to the Thunderbolt FAQ ( https://www.thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/faq):

Are Thunderbolt™ 4 PCs backwards compatible with Thunderbolt™, Thunderbolt™ 2, or Thunderbolt 3 based accessories?
Accessories built to Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 specifications are not supported by Thunderbolt 4 PCs.

The problem is nowhere on the marketing materials does intel or it’s partners mention this. And maple ridge NVM31 on z690 is compatible with TB1/2 devices. The FAQ doesn’t acknowledge this.

Intel likes to couch thunderbolt as a super USB. A USB that supports tunneling. But one of the key features of USB is backwards compatibility. USB 3 and USB 4 devices are backwards compatible with USB 2. So from a usability standpoint, this change goes against the spirit of what USB is all about, which is to be backwards compatible with predecessor standards. Even Ethernet is backwards compatible. My 10Gb Ethernet LAN can run at 100Mbps speeds.

I don’t have any TB2 devices so I am not personally affected, but many people have old audio interfaces and other perfectly working devices that are no longer supported by Maple Ridge.

Something changed, perhaps there is valid security reason to break compatibility with the older TB devices, but given that thunderbolt is undocumented, we don’t know what exactly.

Intel and it’s partners should be upfront so customers know if they need support for TB1/2 devices to skip buying a TB4 host.

Last edited:
Hello all... I could use some help please!

I have TWO systems built off of this thread.. thanks @CaseySJ ! The first is a z690 with a 13700k, the other is a z790 with a 13900k.

What I've noticed is that NEITHER ONE has USB power delivery (both OpenCore 0.9.1, SMBIOS MacPro7,1, and both nearly identical to the config listed here).

I've been REALLY trying to figure it out myself (generated all new USB maps, and and and) but
what I've come to discover is that BOTH machines I "think" have an incorrect EC SSDT (yes, I'm using the one here).

After extensive reading on Github and Dortania, I've come across the blurb that states that if you see AppleACPIEC listed under EC0 in IORegistry, then your AppleACPI is incorrectly attaching, and therefore, things like USB power delivery will be broken (see attached).

I created MY OWN SSDT-EC-USBX following the instruction here:
https://dortania.github.io/Getting-.../ec-methods/manual.html#finding-the-acpi-path
and from what I'm reading, the SSDT in this thread doesn't align with the Dortania instructions. Perhaps it's a 13th-gen thing?

ALSO, the guide mentions needing to create a dummy EC if PNP0C09 _STA is ALSO named in your DSDT dump (mine is, as PNP0C09 appears twice), but I cannot understand how to create a dummy EC for this as well.

TIA,
j

EDIT1:
Okay, outside of not understanding (or accounting for) the second PNP0C09 _STA entry in my DSDT (attached), my new "alt6" aml seems to be working only based on the fact that "EC" does NOT have any entries in my IOR. @CaseySJ could you please verify this IS now more correct?

I discovered that my old-a$$ iPhone XS/cable REQUIRES a USB 2 port, and that was the reason all along why it wasn't charging from ports 3,4,5,6 -- verified by adding HS03 to port map. So even with my updated SSDT-EC-USBalt6.aml, for ME to get older iPhone charging, it MUST be plugged into a USB port that has a usb2 assignment. This whole thing started with my z790 machine not powering a Resolve control panel even with USB-C, so I'll try this new .aml when I return to my work computer and report back.

EDIT1:
After further investigation, it appears my H_EC is not listed as active in my DSDT, and therefore, adding an entry in an SSDT to address that part is not needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 3.06.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 3.06.47 PM.png
    255.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 3.06.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 3.06.52 PM.png
    416 KB · Views: 34
  • SSDT-EC-USBXalt6.aml
    377 bytes · Views: 26
  • DSDT.aml
    483.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hello all... I could use some help please!

I have TWO systems built off of this thread.. thanks @CaseySJ ! The first is a z690 with a 13700k, the other is a z790 with a 13900k.

What I've noticed is that NEITHER ONE has USB power delivery (both OpenCore 0.9.1, SMBIOS MacPro7,1, and both nearly identical to the config listed here).

I've been REALLY trying to figure it out myself (generated all new USB maps, and and and) but
what I've come to discover is that BOTH machines I "think" have an incorrect EC SSDT (yes, I'm using the one here).

After extensive reading on Github and Dortania, I've come across the blurb that states that if you see AppleACPIEC listed under EC0 in IORegistry, then your AppleACPI is incorrectly attaching, and therefore, things like USB power delivery will be broken (see attached).

I created MY OWN SSDT-EC-USBX following the instruction here:
https://dortania.github.io/Getting-.../ec-methods/manual.html#finding-the-acpi-path
and from what I'm reading, the SSDT in this thread doesn't align with the Dortania instructions. Perhaps it's a 13th-gen thing?

ALSO, the guide mentions needing to create a dummy EC if PNP0C09 _STA is ALSO named in your DSDT dump (mine is, as PNP0C09 appears twice), but I cannot understand how to create a dummy EC for this as well.

TIA,
j

EDIT2:
Okay, outside of not understanding (or accounting for) the second PNP0C09 _STA entry in my DSDT (attached), my new "alt6" aml seems to be working only based on the fact that "EC" does NOT have any entries in my IOR. @CaseySJ could you please verify this IS now more correct?

I discovered that my old-a$$ iPhone XS/cable REQUIRES a USB 2 port, and that was the reason all along why it wasn't charging from ports 3,4,5,6 -- verified by adding HS03 to port map. So even with my updated SSDT-EC-USBalt6.aml, for ME to get older iPhone charging, it MUST be plugged into a USB port that has a usb2 assignment. This whole thing started with my z790 machine not powering a Resolve control panel even with USB-C, so I'll try this new .aml when I return to my work computer and report back.
Lightning on the iPhone is USB 2. That’s why transfer speeds are so slow.

Thank you, @CaseySJ and all the friends who participated in this thread, for providing valuable feedback. A few days ago, I received the ASUS Z790 ProArt Creator motherboard and paired it with a 12th CPU, using BIOS firmware 0816. Here are some brief problems I encountered:

1. If I use the original Intel WiFi/BT kexts, the system displays that it has been driven, but in fact, it cannot connect to Bluetooth devices such as mice or keyboards. Here, I disabled the BT/WiFi option in the BIOS and plan to use the BCM94360CD instead.
What "Original WiFi/BT kexts" are you using? The ones supplied with OpenCore or these: IntelBluetoothFirmware | OpenIntelWireless?

If I use the original Intel WiFi/BT kexts, the system displays that it has been driven, but in fact, it cannot connect to Bluetooth devices such as mice or keyboards. Here, I disabled the BT/WiFi option in the BIOS and plan to use the BCM94360CD instead.
I installed the card @CaseySJ recommended:
Fenvi BCM94360NG WiFi/BT NGFF M.2 Key A/E Module

It works very well.

However, when I use AE/ME, there are some crashes, which I need to investigate.
I recently did a fresh install of 12.6.5, did not migrate anything... now I have been having lots of Finder crashes. I think they are graphics/Metal related. If I select a bunch if items (files or photos) and attempt to get info on all of them it usually results in a Finder crash. Also seems to be crashing when using quick look.

The quick look issues happen when using PathFinder as well.
Most of the crash logs have referenced quartz.

The amount of crashes seems less with PCI Native Power Management Disabled in BIOS. But they still happen.

I believe this is unrelated. I have a Samsung 980 Pro NVMe with Windows on it in the bottom left slot. I may remove it and see if that changes anything; I'm not really sure if it’s related. When I first did this build, I had NVMe related crashes.

@CaseySJ @ffjigft and anyone else on this thread with this board and Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 devices.. just curious, as my hackintosh is running so smoothly now (wow that took a month, haha, and thank you both so much for all your hard work!!), as I understand the only reason TB2 devices are working is because the Thunderbolt is being spoofed with the EFI config..

so.........

I installed Windows and it seems there's no way I'm getting Windows support with TB1 & TB2 devices.
So.... anyone know of a way to spoof the Thunderbolt to Titan Ridge in Windows, or Linux or any other OS?

"
Thunderbolt
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi has an on-board Thunderbolt 4 controller in the form of Intel's JHL8540. Although not fully supported by macOS at this time, it works quite well by spoofing its NHI sub-device (Native Host Interface) to Titan Ridge. Hot plug, sleep, and wake have been quite successful in (limited) tests performed thus far. Older Thunderbolt devices such as Thunderbolt 2 and those with an Alpine Ridge JHL6240 controller may not hot plug, but they should work when connected before boot.

Update 14 Jan 2022: After more careful tests, it appears that either one (a) soft reboot or (b) one sleep/wake cycle is necessary to enable the controller after each cold start. After this, the controller is functional even when the system is shut down and warm restarted (i.e. without unplugging it from the wall or flipping PSU switch to off).
"

@SmackAttack I have been using Apple original WiFi modules for years. A common issue I had (and it turned me insane) was flaky Bluetooth. I solved the problem entirely by shielding the Apple module. Aluminum tape (over thick plastic or masking tape), thin metal sheet (the old beer can or soup can, or fancy from the store) or anything of that sort helps a lot. Just be careful not to short anything ;) Nowadays I never ever install an Apple module without shielding it.

Quick ponder for the pros out here, on an Apple module with 4 antenna slots (Ipex1), is there any way to determine which slot is BT and which is WiFi ?
I have the same issue for years, never found a real solution. Would you mind to send me some photos to illustrate the procedure? I appreciate it.

I’ll check again on Windows and Linux as well.
Hi CaseySJ,
I was wondering if you had a chance to test the front Type-C port connectivity under Windows (do you remember I asked other forum members whether they had a brief disconnection when connecting external drives to the Type-C port?
Ohhh one last question please: off the top of your head, do you notice the same issues w/ ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI? IE:
  • Type-C rear ports not remounting automatically after reboot (macOS only)
  • front Type-C preventing sleep (macOS only
  • front Type-C ejecting drives briefly upon connection (macOS + Windows)
even in Ventura 13.3.1 !!!
sysdef iMacPro 1,1
OC 0.9.1
BIOS 9901
ME 15.0.1.1735

Aquantia 10GbE multiple auto sleep/wake cycles are working properly.
Hi, it seems not many people are using a Z690 Creator MB with iMacPro sysdef. I was wondering if you applied any special setting to CaseySJ's EFI. I am setting up another macOS installation to try iMacPro1,1 sysdef to check a few things, especially the following one:

4. Switching from MacPro7,1 to iMacPro1,1 significantly increased the Metal score? Will it be helpful for Adobe users? I will try it today. However, when I use AE/ME, there are some crashes, which I need to investigate.
Hi, I had SO many issues on MacPro7,1 with Pr&Me. I am trying an iMacPro1,1 configuration and will report back.
In the meantime - did it fix it for you?

Back