Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@Azimuth1

Does sleep/wake work properly on a fresh installation of Ventura without restoring your system from a Time Machine backup?

I'm patiently waiting for a BCM94360NG WiFi/BT NGFF M.2 Key A/E Module that for whatever reason did not ship with the rest of my order due to lack of apt#. I don't live in an apartment. o_O hmm. So I can't really continue with my build until then as it would be slightly difficult to swap that card once built.

But in planning, Am I correct in saying if I get BigSur up and running on this there is a chance of tb bus working?

I'm patiently waiting for a BCM94360NG WiFi/BT NGFF M.2 Key A/E Module that for whatever reason did not ship with the rest of my order due to lack of apt#. I don't live in an apartment. o_O hmm. So I can't really continue with my build until then as it would be slightly difficult to swap that card once built.

But in planning, Am I correct in saying if I get BigSur up and running on this there is a chance of tb bus working?

Depends on what devices you'll plug into it, TB2 devices won't work, TB3 you shouldn't have a problem.
But yes it'll show up in System Report under Thunderbolt/USB4.

• Love
Reactions: ffk
Have you updated to the latest UAD software?
If so, try hardware resetting the Apollo twin x, then reinstall the UAD software.
@Sabzz
I am contemplating using an Asus ProArt z790 Creator WIFI motherboard for my final Hack build. It will mainly be used as a DAW with Logic, Cubase, Bitwig.
How is your hack? 10 GbE works? Intel ethernet? Thunderbolt is OK? Hot plug? Sleep & shutdown work?
I'll probably use Monterey for the foreseeable future.

Interested in your experiences.

little update. apollo works only after a second restart. if i shut down the pc and re-power on pc doesnt work, but if restart it, it works. I already tried V1B and V2 SDDTS.
That's odd, can't really say what the problem could be as i don't run a z690 or Ventura. Could be OS related or Bios related?

I don't seem to have that problem on the z790 with Monterey.

Does the same thing happen when you put the machine to sleep and rewake? Does it reconnect?

@Sabzz
I am contemplating using an Asus ProArt z790 Creator WIFI motherboard for my final Hack build. It will mainly be used as a DAW with Logic, Cubase, Bitwig.
How is your hack? 10 GbE works? Intel ethernet? Thunderbolt is OK? Hot plug? Sleep & shutdown work?
I'll probably use Monterey for the foreseeable future.

Interested in your experiences.
This was my mindset, spend it once and hopefully it lasts me a long time.
I use it for music production and content creation myself so i needed the Thunderbolt to power my UAD audio interface.

After building it i started with Big Sur for the Thunderbolt bus. Was up and running using Casey's EFI folder with a few variations to get my GPU working. All went smoothly, everything worked besides Bluetooth (using internal bluetooth and wifi) wifi worked, couldn't work out Bluetooth (probably my inexperience as this is my first Hack), plus all my time was honed in on getting my UAD Apollo Mk2 (Tb2) working.

After a solid week of testing, bios upgrades, OS upgrades, different EFI configurations etc, i could not get it to connect (MacOS and Windows). Borrowed a friends Apollo Twin X (TB3) and it connected straight away, so went and bought one. That's how i know TB2 devices won't work (even Lacie TB2 hdd's won't work).

On Monterey now, Bluetooth and Wifi work with the internal card, no airport though. Sleep is better on Monterey than it was on Big Sur, still finicky though but for the most part, works.

10gb eth works however cause sleep issues (in my case anyway), haven't looked into it as i use the Intel eth port and have no problems so just running with it.

Thunderbolt connects, reconnects, hotplugs without a problem.. Cold boot, warm boot, sleep, wake, always connects.

Shutdown works and is quick.

Tested Bios versions 0204, 0704, and now on 0814, all worked.

I feel there's a little more i need to do to iron out the creases to get this machine running at it's full potential (the EFI could use a clean up), also unsure of the CPUfrienddata kexts with the 13900k as i'm using the ones supplied for the 12700k (would it make a difference?). But for the most part, i love it and it easily handles anything i throw at it.

I benchmarked using the logic pro test, handled over 500 channel strips with more left in it.
Edited 4K Apple ProRes 422 HQ on a 4k timeline in Davinci Resolve and Premiere Pro, scrubbing was no issue. Nor did it struggle scrubbing 4k H.265 10bit HEVC straight from my Panasonic GH5 either.
Rendered a 1080p 5 hour background visual in under 45 mins.

Absolute beast.

That's odd, can't really say what the problem could be as i don't run a z690 or Ventura. Could be OS related or Bios related?

I don't seem to have that problem on the z790 with Monterey.

Does the same thing happen when you put the machine to sleep and rewake? Does it reconnect?
I never use sleep, cause Apollo Thunderbolt bus turn off. I don't have done the last BIOS update, should I? I listen there are still some problems. Am I wrong?

@Azimuth1

Does sleep/wake work properly on a fresh installation of Ventura without restoring your system from a Time Machine backup?

I've just made a temp fresh install of Ventura and ... yes... it does sleep/wake properly... uhm... so now what?

I've just made a temp fresh install of Ventura and ... yes... it does sleep/wake properly... uhm... so now what?
Now let’s try installing a couple of your most-used applications and see if sleep still works.

This becomes a process of elimination. But it shouldn’t be too cumbersome.

I never use sleep, cause Apollo Thunderbolt bus turn off. I don't have done the last BIOS update, should I? I listen there are still some problems. Am I wrong?
What BIOS version are you on?

Back