Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hi @CaseySJ
I have installed and tested the Big Sur system. After spoofing device ID to Titan Ridge, the Thunderbolt tree can be displayed. But, when I insert a Thunderbolt device, such as a hard disk box, it still shows that the device is not connected.

Test equipment ROG STRIX Z790-E mainboard+Asus ThunderboltEX 4…

english.png

Hi @CaseySJ
I have installed and tested the Big Sur system. After spoofing device ID to Titan Ridge, the Thunderbolt tree can be displayed. But, when I insert a Thunderbolt device, such as a hard disk box, it still shows that the device is not connected.

Test equipment ROG STRIX Z790-E mainboard+Asus ThunderboltEX 4…

View attachment 561467
Hello @ljl137,

Wow! Thank you for installing Big Sur and confirming that the Asus Maple Ridge add-in-card also gets Thunderbolt Bus. Can you post either:
  • IOReg from IORegistryExplorer
  • Thunderbolt SSDT
What is the make/model of the Thunderbolt device that you are trying to connect?
Does that device work when connected before booting macOS?

Thanks for the answers to my previous post.
I'm in the process to set everything ready, waiting components; downloaded OS, and now I'm setting up EFI.
I downloaded the latest in the first post, and I'm reading how to update to the latest OC.
But I have a question now, and sorry if this info is available somewhere, I read the whole thread but I cannot recall exactly now and I'm a little confused.
I'm pretty sure @CaseySJ in separated posts stated that, with the developing of OC, some kext / ACPI / quirks were not needed any longer.
I cannot find this info in the first thread. For example I see Airport kext disabled if using BCM94360NG and many compatibility kext for Monterey that I assume to be disabled if using Big Sur, alternative ACPIs for USB configuration, but I do not see a CPU configuration (is it SSDT-PLUG-ALT-Z690.aml or should I create it, or is it not needed as Apple did not recognize it?). Also, after considering the OS and the USB config, is everything else still needed using latest OC?
Again, I'm sure I read this info but at the moment I've really no clue where to find it.
The EFI folder provided in this thread is already configured for the Asus ProArt Z690-Creator. After you have installed macOS on your new system, feel free to post screenshots of the following so we can see if there's anything else to be done:
  • OpenCore Configurator -> ACPI
  • OpenCore Configurator -> Kernel

Hello @ljl137,

Wow! Thank you for installing Big Sur and confirming that the Asus Maple Ridge add-in-card also gets Thunderbolt Bus. Can you post either:
  • IOReg from IORegistryExplorer
  • Thunderbolt SSDT
What is the make/model of the Thunderbolt device that you are trying to connect?
Does that device work when connected before booting macOS?
Hello @CaseySJ

IOReg from IORegistryExplorer; Upload the files I use.

Thunderbolt SSDT; Upload the files I use.

Attachments

• SSDT-Maple-RIDGE.aml.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 37
  • ljl137's Mac Pro.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
2204. I updated bios right after completing build and installing Win 11.
Have you downloaded and installed the Intel ME update (Management Engine) as shown in the screenshot below:

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 4.10.18 PM.png

So the issues I described with 2204 and Maple Ridge firmware 36.51 on the z690 Formula... I've made some progress. The issue is while the NVM36 resolves connectivity problems between Maple Ridge and older TB3 devices with a JHL6240 controller, there are times when the system wakes from sleep, and thunderbolt devices aren't detected anymore, and/or if you warm reboot the PC in any other OS/screen besides windows/linux, the TB bus goes down.

The issue seems to be related to DDR5 RAM speeds. When DDR5 RAM speeds are 5000 MT/s or below, there is no issue. But above 5000 MT/s, the issue rears its ugly head. I have observed, for example, with NVM36 when DDR5 RAM speeds above 5000 MT/s where, if a TB device is connected a TB port, when the system goes to sleep and wakes up, the thunderbolt controller takes a very long time to wake up. So does the USB bus as well, but the TB bus takes up to 20 seconds to resume and then once it finally wakes up, the controller is in an unknown unstable state and requires a reboot, or even a power cycle.

When memory speeds are 5000 MT/s or below, the system functions normally, in fact, wake up times are extremely fast, much faster than when XMP is on. Could it be some kind of race condition?

This does not happen with NVM31, however...

Continuing to test...ASUS is clueless, I might have to reach out to Intel...

1673307372267.png

@dehjomz

Side question: Are you running Big Sur? Just wondering how Thunderbolt Bus is enabled.

Hi Casey, I am trying to follow this Thunderbolt stuff for a while now, but I can't understand everything. I saw your post on AMDOSX Forum, and I came here to have more understanding as my knowledge is low. My config is AMD Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master Rev1.2 with a Titan Ridge V2 and OC 0.8.8. Until Big Sur, my Satellite UAD Octo TB3 load instantaneously the plugin, but now, since a Monterey version that I don't remember, it takes a while to load the plugin. I would like to be sure that the Thunderbolt Bus is activated, and, if it is possible to see it in the panel tab, that the UAD2 octo TB3 is connected.
PS : I haven't flashed the Titan-Ridge and i would'nt like to do it

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 21.51.58.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 21.51.58.png
    628.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 21.53.07.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 21.53.07.png
    272.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 21.53.20.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 21.53.20.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 28
  • SSDT-TB3.aml