Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hi Casey, I am trying to follow this Thunderbolt stuff for a while now, but I can't understand everything. I saw your post on AMDOSX Forum, and I came here to have more understanding as my knowledge is low. My config is AMD Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master Rev1.2 with a Titan Ridge V2 and OC 0.8.8.
As a matter of form, it would be best to open your own support thread, or at least to post your question in the Gigabyte B550 Vision D thread as your system (which does not match your current profile) is neither Asus not Z690.

I would like to be sure that the Thunderbolt Bus is activated, and, if it is possible to see it in the panel tab, that the UAD2 octo TB3 is connected.
PS : I haven't flashed the Titan-Ridge and i would'nt like to do it
As a matter of substance, unfortunately, the Thunderbolt bus is NOT activated ("No drivers are loaded") and will not activate without flashing the card.

Have you downloaded and installed the Intel ME update (Management Engine) as shown in the screenshot below:

View attachment 561485
Hi Casey, I didn't originally. However, I updated Intel ME, and then re-installed the ver. 2204 BIOS firmware. Still same problem. Based on the kernel panic, it looks like VirtualSMC crashes when it is in the middle of assigning cores. Could this be an issue with the fact that I'm using the i9-13900k?

Hi Casey, I am trying to follow this Thunderbolt stuff for a while now, but I can't understand everything. I saw your post on AMDOSX Forum, and I came here to have more understanding as my knowledge is low. My config is AMD Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master Rev1.2 with a Titan Ridge V2 and OC 0.8.8. Until Big Sur, my Satellite UAD Octo TB3 load instantaneously the plugin, but now, since a Monterey version that I don't remember, it takes a while to load the plugin. I would like to be sure that the Thunderbolt Bus is activated, and, if it is possible to see it in the panel tab, that the UAD2 octo TB3 is connected.
PS : I haven't flashed the Titan-Ridge and i would'nt like to do it
Hello @JOE971,

If the UAD Octo TB3 is able to connect but just takes a little longer, it may be best to leave it alone. However, there is one fairly safe thing to check:
  • If there is a Thunderbolt section in your BIOS Setup, look for Thunderbolt Boot Support and try changing it to Boot Once
    • Because this is an AMD X570 system, BIOS may refer to Thunderbolt with a different name
    • Thunderbolt section in BIOS may only appear if GC-Titan Ridge is connected via Thunderbolt header to the motherboard

Last edited:
Hi Casey, I didn't originally. However, I updated Intel ME, and then re-installed the ver. 2204 bios firmware. Still same problem... Based on the kernel panic, it looks like VirtualSMC crashes when it is in the middle of assigning cores. Could this be an issue with the fact that I'm using the i9 13900k?
I just switched to this processor and was having crashes but turned off “resize bar” which seems to have helped - make sure this is off in Bios

Because iGPU UHD 770 Alder's Lake not supported in MacOS You must be have KF processeurs guys and avoid K processeurs;)

Hi Casey, I didn't originally. However, I updated Intel ME, and then re-installed the ver. 2204 bios firmware. Still same problem... Based on the kernel panic, it looks like VirtualSMC crashes when it is in the middle of assigning cores. Could this be an issue with the fact that I'm using the i9 13900k?
Perplexing indeed.

Does the system boot properly with previous BIOS?

Also, are you using OpenCore 0.8.8?

Hello @JOE971,

If the UAD Octo TB3 is able to connect, but just takes a little longer, it may be best to leave it alone. However, there is one fairly safe thing to check:
  • If there is a Thunderbolt section in your BIOS Setup, look for Thunderbolt Boot Support and try changing it to Boot Once
    • Because this is an AMD X570 system, BIOS may refer to Thunderbolt with a different name
    • Thunderbolt section in BIOS may only appear if GC-Titan Ridge is connected via Thunderbolt header to the motherboard
There is these options

Attachments

• BiosTB3 titan options.jpg
    BiosTB3 titan options.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
Hi @CaseySJ

I've solved the problem of HDD icons in Finder. At the end it was an extension of Finder to prevent the correct icon to show up, BetterZip namely.

But my Ventura has still some youth's problem: sleep!
this is my
pmset -g assertion

Code:
2023-01-11 00:19:30 +0100
Assertion status system-wide:
   BackgroundTask                 0
   ApplePushServiceTask           0
   UserIsActive                   1
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
   PreventSystemSleep             0
   ExternalMedia                  0
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     1
   NetworkClientActive            0
Listed by owning process:
   pid 245(runningboardd): [0x0000006c000182a7] 01:01:57 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "xpcservice<com.apple.findmy.FindMyWidgetPeople([osservice<com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent(501)>:502])(501)>245-502-148:[findmy.FindMyWidgetPeople-CE1752EB20B9]"
    Created for PID: 585.
   pid 514(sharingd): [0x00000ed500018976] 00:00:28 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Handoff"
   pid 163(bluetoothd): [0x00000ed500018977] 00:00:27 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.BTStack"
   pid 173(WindowServer): [0x00000c7d000987f4] 00:00:00 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle serviceID:1000006be service:AppleHIDKeyboardEventDriver product:Apple Keyboard eventType:3"
    Timeout will fire in 600 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease
Kernel Assertions: 0xc=USB,BT-HID
   id=502  level=255 0x4=USB creat=10/01/23, 23:23 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14600000 owner=USB2.0 Hub
   id=504  level=255 0x4=USB creat=10/01/23, 23:31 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14620000 owner=Keyboard Hub
   id=506  level=255 0x8=BT-HID creat=10/01/23, 23:24 description=com.apple.driver.IOBluetoothHIDDriver owner=BNBMouseDevice
Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler

What do you think? Monitor goes off but the machine is still on... and I'm not using either 10g connection or frontal usb-c port.

Back