Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

What would you recommend for fan control and temperature monitoring on this build?

Someone who has a Thunderbolt display with USB ports. Did YOU manage to make it work?

So I create a new SSDT mapping the USB ports from THB. They work on the motherboard. But, when I connect a Thunderbolt Display that has 2 USB ports, they are not working. Is that normal ?

After some test, I can see that it detects the display hub for 1 second when I connect it to the Thunderbolt. Then immediately disabled like if it was plugged out.

Someone who has a Thunderbolt display with USB ports. Did YOU manage to make it work?

So I create a new SSDT mapping the USB ports from THB. They work on the motherboard. But, when I connect a Thunderbolt Display that has 2 USB ports, they are not working. Is that normal ?

After some test, I can see that it detects the display hub for 1 second when I connect it to the Thunderbolt. Then immediately disabled like if it was plugged out.
Did you route your GPU’s DisplayPort output into the motherboard’s DisplayPort input?

Now my new build seems to be working. I tried fitting the Radeon RX 6900XT in place of the Radeon RX580. I can't even get the machine to boot to BIOS settings. Is there anything special I need to do to get this working? I'm including the boot argument agdpmod=pikera.

Thanks.

Motherboard: Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi
CPU: i9-12900K
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) Kingston FURY Beast DDR5
GPU: Testing with Radeon RX580, but will replace with Radeon RX 6900 XT
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 850 Gt
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2

Now my new build seems to be working. I tried fitting the Radeon RX 6900XT in place of the Radeon RX580. I can't even get the machine to boot to BIOS settings. Is there anything special I need to do to get this working? I'm including the boot argument agdpmod=pikera.

Thanks.

Motherboard: Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi
CPU: i9-12900K
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) Kingston FURY Beast DDR5
GPU: Testing with Radeon RX580, but will replace with Radeon RX 6900 XT
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 850 Gt
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2
Reset CMOS, and clean NVRAM (start OC).
Normally, the Asus boards to climb is on the second try. When you remove a video card and put another one, you hear 4 or 5 beeps. Turn off the machine and start again.

Reset CMOS, and clean NVRAM (start OC).
Normally, the Asus boards to climb is on the second try. When you remove a video card and put another one, you hear 4 or 5 beeps. Turn off the machine and start again.
No luck so far. If I enable CMS in BIOS boot options, I can get as a far as the OpenCore boot selector. After that, the display loses the signal. Have also tried with another monitor, and I know the 6900XT works in my Mac Pro 5,1.

Last edited:
Did you route your GPU’s DisplayPort output into the motherboard’s DisplayPort input?
Yes I did,

1 THB cable from display to THB and other from DP in to GPU's DP

Good morning to a report about my assembly:
Several problems occurred, until I had a little stability but still I still face some difficulties.
Now I have been getting crashes, at first I thought it was some accessory, BT. WiFi.
Gradually I was doing tests and more tests, removing devices such as:
1. BT and WIFI
2. Network Shutdown
3. Nothing connected to USB ports
4. Nothing connected to USBC or Thunderbolt
5. Raid Board Removal
6. Removal of 2 Memory Sticks (leaving only 64GB)

After all this, the crashes and randomness continue, yesterday when I removed the memories I thought everything was fine and they were the cause of the problem, but this morning, it happened again.
Yesterday I even thought that these crashes were always occurring in Safari and when I access Youtube and videos.
But today the same symptom is outside this environment.
Well what I'm suspecting now that I haven't touched yet is the M2 850X (X yes is a newer version than the recommended 850)
As I have other M2 Samsung 870Pro, today I'm going to load the system there and check if the crashes will stop.
If not, maybe there is a problem with the Asus BIOS with the i9 13900k processor, I think it's difficult but it can be.
I don't use makeup to have any kind of heating or anything like that.
Thanks

No luck so far. If I enable CMS in BIOS boot options, I can get as a far as the OpenCore boot selector. After that, the display loses the signal. Have also tried with another monitor, and I know the 6900XT works in my Mac Pro 5,1.
So you got to the BIOS finally. FYI enabling CMS is usually not a good option for Clover or OpenCore. Not the way to go IMO. I would try searching the forums for your make and model video card as not all work without modifying some device properties.

Good morning to a report about my assembly:
Several problems occurred, until I had a little stability but still I still face some difficulties.
Now I have been getting crashes, at first I thought it was some accessory, BT. WiFi.
Gradually I was doing tests and more tests, removing devices such as:
1. BT and WIFI
2. Network Shutdown
3. Nothing connected to USB ports
4. Nothing connected to USBC or Thunderbolt
5. Raid Board Removal
6. Removal of 2 Memory Sticks (leaving only 64GB)

After all this, the crashes and randomness continue, yesterday when I removed the memories I thought everything was fine and they were the cause of the problem, but this morning, it happened again.
Yesterday I even thought that these crashes were always occurring in Safari and when I access Youtube and videos.
But today the same symptom is outside this environment.
Well what I'm suspecting now that I haven't touched yet is the M2 850X (X yes is a newer version than the recommended 850)
As I have other M2 Samsung 870Pro, today I'm going to load the system there and check if the crashes will stop.
If not, maybe there is a problem with the Asus BIOS with the i9 13900k processor, I think it's difficult but it can be.
I don't use makeup to have any kind of heating or anything like that.
Thanks
Have you updated the firmware on your SN850X? Because it's a relatively new model, you might want to check it out. I'm using mine in an external enclosure, but before I formatted for Mac, I updated the firmware on the Windows side. I'm running version 620281WD. I don't know if this will fix anything, but it might be worth investigating.

Back