Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@CaseySJ Hello

what do you think of this board, would it work as z690 pro art?

ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming WiFi Intel Z790 LGA 1700 ATX motherboard, 18 + 1 power stages, DDR5, five M.2 slots, PCIe 5.0, WiFi 6E, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C with PD 3.0 up to 30W, and Aura Sync RGB

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Hello

what do you think of this board, would it work as z690 pro art?

I have the Z690 version of this board, and it works perfectly well:
One word of caution though: I don't know if the WiFi/BT module is removable on the Z790 version. On the AMD AM5 version of this board, the WiFi/BT module is soldered.

Update 25-Nov: On the Asus X670E-I (AMD AM5) the WiFi/BT is not soldered. It can be replaced.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rag
Thoughts on the 13700k with this setup? I pickup my z690 pro-art tomorrow and may elect for the 13th gen i7 instead of the 12th gen i9. I will be air cooling the cpu, too. @Rag are you still having random crashes?

Last edited:
Thoughts on the 13700k with this setup? I pickup my z690 pro-art tomorrow and may elect for the 13th gen i7 instead of the 12th gen i9. I will be air cooling the cpu, too. @Rag are you still having random crashes?
I haven’t done this upgrade yet myself, but I’d definitely go for the 13700 vs the 12900… it’s a better processor for less money.

If you’d be so kind, please report back on your air-cooling results… from what I’ve researched (depending on your cooler and case) a good air cool setup should be fine. I don’t “think” there’s a concern with not setting the 253w power limit like there is on a 13900K, but I’d love to hear if I’m wrong. I “think” the unlimited power thing is only for 13900K and running it that way can tax even a 420 AIO.

J

I've just built my Hackintosh using this guide. MacOS installation went well but I'm having problems with the system constantly restarting itself. CPU temperature seems to be okay, around 30-40C, and I've run MemTest without errors. I have 128GB of RAM but am not using XMP. No Thunderbolt devices or anything else exotic connected to the system.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. EFI is attached and a parts list below.
Thanks.

Motherboard: Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi
CPU: i9-12900K
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) Kingston FURY Beast DDR5
GPU: Testing with Radeon RX580, but will replace with Radeon RX 6900 XT
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 850 Gt
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    45.1 MB · Views: 23
I've just built my Hackintosh using this guide. MacOS installation went well but I'm having problems with the system constantly restarting itself. CPU temperature seems to be okay, around 30-40C, and I've run MemTest without errors. I have 128GB of RAM but am not using XMP. No Thunderbolt devices or anything else exotic connected to the system.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. EFI is attached and a parts list below.
Thanks.

Motherboard: Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi
CPU: i9-12900K
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) Kingston FURY Beast DDR5
GPU: Testing with Radeon RX580, but will replace with Radeon RX 6900 XT
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 850 Gt
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2
You took care of correctly installing the 4 memory sticks, following the order that is in the card's manual and also following the pairs that come from the factory,
I noticed at first here with me something similar to your problem, and then I discovered this problem of memories, Asus is quite complicated to accept memories.

Taking advantage of the matter, if someone can also answer me if it's better to have 128GB running without XMP (Asus is practically impossible to run XMP with 4 sticks) or to have 64G running XMP, my workflow is PS LR Gigapixel, rendering images (I don't do video render).

Thanks.

You took care of correctly installing the 4 memory sticks, following the order that is in the card's manual and also following the pairs that come from the factory,
I noticed at first here with me something similar to your problem, and then I discovered this problem of memories, Asus is quite complicated to accept memories.

Taking advantage of the matter, if someone can also answer me if it's better to have 128GB running without XMP (Asus is practically impossible to run XMP with 4 sticks) or to have 64G running XMP, my workflow is PS LR Gigapixel, rendering images (I don't do video render).

Thanks.
The RAM was supplied as matching pairs and I fitted them according to the ASUS motherboard manual.

The RAM was supplied as matching pairs and I fitted them according to the ASUS motherboard manual.
ok.. because it's very confusing, the order that the manual says to install two.. it's one way and when it's 4 .. it's completely different.. I messed up with that.

Hi @Anklebiter. This is @CaseySJ gig and I am sure he will have some additional insight to share at some point. He's deep into debugging one of the new AMD Ryzen 7000 boards on a level I can't do anything but read about.

But if you are trouble shooting then I would try a few different things. I didn't see what version of OSX you are running but regardless since you have wifi turned off I would also try disabling all bluetooth kexts and see if that helps. It could also be related to ethernet settings, maybe try toggling one or both ports off in the bios and see if that matters. I think most issues have been solved but the Aquantia AQC113C 10GbE was causing issues for awhile

If that doesn't make a difference maybe it is a hardware issue and try one stick of RAM in the A2 slot or a a single pair in A2 B2 Slots. DDR5 and Z690 and more than a single pair of RAM can be weird so IMO its worth trying.

I don't have any experience with Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSDs but you can also try adjusting the bios to Pcie 3.0 and see if that's it, I've had that issue before. Good luck

But if you are trouble shooting then I would try a few different things. I didn't see what version of OSX you are running but regardless since you have wifi turned off I would also try disabling all bluetooth kexts and see if that helps. It could also be related to ethernet settings, maybe try toggling one or both ports off in the bios and see if that matters. I think most issues have been solved but the Aquantia AQC113C 10GbE was causing issues for awhile

If that doesn't make a difference maybe it is a hardware issue and try one stick of RAM in the A2 slot or a a single pair in A2 B2 Slots. DDR5 and Z690 and more than a single pair of RAM can be weird so IMO its worth trying.

I don't have any experience with Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSDs but you can also try adjusting the bios to Pcie 3.0 and see if that's it, I've had that issue before. Good luck

I'm using macOS 13 Ventura. Changed the RAM speed to 3000MHz in BIOS, then double-checked OpenCore config settings. The system seems to be stable now. Probably the RAM speed adjustment did it. Will try a user account migration now which will be a good test of system stability.

Back