Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

The Apollo Twin X should be compatible. I had one here for a few days for testing and it worked fine except for hot plugging it.
Then I don't know why the satellite is being detected right but it's impossible to make the twin work I tested on an M1 macbook pro with monterey and it's working fine

On Intel Z690 boards with built-in Thunderbolt, the controller is Maple Ridge (JHL 8540) instead of Titan Ridge (JHL 7540).

macOS supports Titan Ridge, but does not properly or fully support Maple Ridge. So for best Thunderbolt compatibility, I recommend using a flashed Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge.

We can definitely use Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge on an Asus motherboard.

For an Asus Z690 motherboard, I would recommend any board you see in Golden Builds and User Builds sections.
Good morning @CaseySJ thanks for your thoughts.

And thinking about it now, I need a good indication of a place that has at least 4 pci slots, because
I have to use:
1. Video Board
2. HighPoint Raid
3. Titan Ridge
4. Fenvi

Would you recommend something specific with DDR 5 LGA 1700 ? Asus or Gigabyte

Thank you

I just built the Z690 ProArt Creator. It worked flawlessly with opencore 0.8.3 and monterey 12.6 with bios 2004. Thunderbolt UAD satellite recognised immediately with pro tools 2022.9. The onboard 10gig is really helpful in my work. Geekbench 5 2000 single 18900 multi. It didn't want to go m1 with pro tools still intel. I'm just worried this might be my last hack.

Thanks Casey
You don't have issues with the 2 types of cores of Alderlake? MacOS has no idea of these.
In principle, when you have both types enabled(the efficiency and the speedy ones) you might be able to open a big project one day(with the high speed cores doing most of the heavy lifting), but not the other(when the efficiency cores get (over-)loaded with the heavy stuff).
Not a problem in Pro Tools?
2000 single core sounds tempting. IME, it's the real-time thread that overloads my DAW's and forces me to switch to a higher buffer with higher latency.

One question about Pro tools. Why is better than logic pro or others?

Good morning @CaseySJ thanks for your thoughts.

And thinking about it now, I need a good indication of a place that has at least 4 pci slots, because
I have to use:
1. Video Board
2. HighPoint Raid
3. Titan Ridge
4. Fenvi

Would you recommend something specific with DDR 5 LGA 1700 ? Asus or Gigabyte

Thank you
Hello @Rag,

Let's look at the PCI lane requirements for these cards:
  • Video card -- either 8 or 16
  • HighPoint RAID -- does your card need 8 lanes?
  • Titan Ridge -- 4 lanes
  • Fenvi -- 1 lane
The only reasonable solution would be a motherboard with built-in Thunderbolt because there aren't any Z690 boards with 4 PCIe slots (not counting any high-end desktop systems or HEDTs).

Built-in Thunderbolt on Z690 will always be Maple Ridge (JHL 8540). This means no Thunderbolt bus unless you run Big Sur (only) on an Asus Z690 board. If your Thunderbolt devices work currently without Thunderbolt bus, then they should work on Maple Ridge as well -- but there is no guarantee about reliability. Some Thunderbolt devices work very well on Maple Ridge, and others don't. It's case by case.

Hello @Rag,

• Titan Ridge -- 4 lanes
  • Fenvi -- 1 lane
The only reasonable solution would be a motherboard with built-in Thunderbolt because there aren't any Z690 boards with 4 PCIe slots (not counting any high-end desktop systems or HEDTs).

Built-in Thunderbolt on Z690 will always be Maple Ridge (JHL 8540). This means no Thunderbolt bus unless you run Big Sur (only) on an Asus Z690 board. If your Thunderbolt devices work currently without Thunderbolt bus, then they should work on Maple Ridge as well -- but there is no guarantee about reliability. Some Thunderbolt devices work very well on Maple Ridge, and others don't. It's case by case.
What does the term "no Thunderbolt bus" mean and what are its implications?

What does the term "no Thunderbolt bus" mean and what are its implications?
Please refer to this Tech Talk article:

Please refer to this Tech Talk article:
So, by "Thunderbolt bus", you just mean "Extended mode" as described in the link above?

Also, is this summary correct: None of the Z690 or B660 motherboards with onboard Thunderbolt work in Extended mode except (so far) the Asus boards and this is in Big Sur only. (This is because they are all Maple Ridge.) Gigabyte Titan Ridge add-in card requires flashing to operate in extended mode. All of the above seem to work in Standard mode.

So, by "Thunderbolt bus", you just mean "Extended mode" as described in the link above?

Also, is this summary correct: None of the Z690 or B660 motherboards with onboard Thunderbolt work in Extended mode except (so far) the Asus boards and this is in Big Sur only. (This is because they are all Maple Ridge.) Gigabyte Titan Ridge add-in card requires flashing to operate in extended mode. All of the above seem to work in Standard mode.
All of this is correct.

Hello @Rag,

• Titan Ridge -- 4 lanes
  • Fenvi -- 1 lane
Hello @CaseySJ Thanks your support

Now that I was looking at the Azus Z690 ProArt Board, there is an option to put the BT using this solution from the BCM94360NG 802.11, and in this case, as the board has 3 pci slots, I can use it with the 3 things
I need:
1 .video board
2. highpoint 3742
3. Titan Ridge (even if asus already has support, using something native would be better)

Do you agree with what I wrote?

Back