Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Did you ever own a Z690 mobo with all ports working with mac os OOB?
This board is working on both TB ports in MacOS OOB. Only need one SSDT to enable hot plug.

This board is working on both TB ports in MacOS OOB. Only need one SSDT to enable hot plug.
this board costs $569 CAD. Is there an alternative to this T_T

What about:

ProArt B660-CREATOR D4​

ProArt Z490-CREATOR 10G​

Nah, I can see all Thunderbolt ports are working the problem is the Apollo Twin X - Quad not being recognized on Monterey for some reason.

Maybe not compatible?

IDK.

this board costs $569 CAD. Is there an alternative to this T_T

What about:

ProArt B660-CREATOR D4​

ProArt Z490-CREATOR 10G​

Nah, I can see all thunderbolt ports are working the problem is the Apollo Twin X - Quad not being recognized on Monterey for some reason.

Maybe not compatible?

IDK.
The Apollo Twin X should be compatible. I had one here for a few days for testing and it worked fine except for hot plugging it.

Hello @Rag,

There are several User and Golden builds for Z690 boards. For the most reliable Thunderbolt, I recommend buying a motherboard without on-board Thunderbolt, but with a Thunderbolt header. Gigabyte's Z690 Aero G, for example, comes in both DDR4 and DDR5 versions. Both have Thunderbolt header. We should use a flashed GC-Titan Ridge (either Rev 1.0 or Rev 2.0) with these motherboards.

For the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G, please refer to this build guide:
Hi @CaseySJ , Thanks your support ! I see that you have a Thunberbolt on board card, I have a question about the restriction of losing a Slot, do you have any special reason not to buy one with Thunderbolt on board. ? I really wanted an Asus card, I don't want Gigabyte anymore, can these Asus cards work with Gigabyte's Thunderbolt cards? If yes, which Asus board would you recommend as better than ProArt 690. Thank you

Hi @CaseySJ , Thanks your support ! I see that you have a Thunberbolt on board card, I have a question about the restriction of losing a Slot, do you have any special reason not to buy one with Thunderbolt on board. ? I really wanted an Asus card, I don't want Gigabyte anymore, can these Asus cards work with Gigabyte's Thunderbolt cards? If yes, which Asus board would you recommend as better than ProArt 690. Thank you
On Intel Z690 boards with built-in Thunderbolt, the controller is Maple Ridge (JHL 8540) instead of Titan Ridge (JHL 7540).

macOS supports Titan Ridge, but does not properly or fully support Maple Ridge. So for best Thunderbolt compatibility, I recommend using a flashed Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge.

We can definitely use Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge on an Asus motherboard.

For an Asus Z690 motherboard, I would recommend any board you see in Golden Builds and User Builds sections.

On Intel Z690 boards with built-in Thunderbolt, the controller is Maple Ridge (JHL 8540) instead of Titan Ridge (JHL 7540).

macOS supports Titan Ridge, but does not properly or fully support Maple Ridge. So for best Thunderbolt compatibility, I recommend using a flashed Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge.

We can definitely use Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge on an Asus motherboard.

For an Asus Z690 motherboard, I would recommend any board you see in Golden Builds and User Builds sections.
which asus Z690 motherboard do you recommend vs. asus z490 mobo ?

I just built the Z690 ProArt Creator. It worked flawlessly with opencore 0.8.3 and monterey 12.6 with bios 2004. Thunderbolt UAD satellite recognised immediately with pro tools 2022.9. The onboard 10gig is really helpful in my work. Geekbench 5 2000 single 18900 multi. It didn't want to go m1 with pro tools still intel. I'm just worried this might be my last hack.

Thanks Casey

Last edited:
I just built the Z690 ProArt Creator. It worked flawlessly with opencore 0.8.3 and monterey 12.6 with bios 2004. Thunderbolt UAD satellite recognised immediately with pro tools 2022.9. The onboard 10gig is really helpful in my work. Thanks Casey
anything that doesnt work ?

Back